Aurelius township included the west half of the county and was organized on March 11, 1837. The first town-meeting was held at the house of Elijah Woodward.
Aurelius township lies on the western border of the county of Ingham, and is bounded north by Delhi, east by Vevay, south by Onondaga, and west by Eaton Rapids township, in Eaton County. The township-lines were surveyed in 1825 by John Mullett, and the subdivisions by Capt. Hervey Parke in 1826.
The township has a varied surface. In the north and south are considerable level areas, while the centre is more broken, and abounds in extensive marshes. Willow Creek rises in a small lake on section 28, and flows north and east, and enters Sycamore Creek at Mason. In places along Willow Creek is found a very fair quality of sandstone. Grand River flows across the northeast corner of the township, cutting off a small strip on sections 6 and 7.
In the southeast part of the township is a small village known as Aurelius Centre, which is the only clustered settlement in town. The improvements generally throughout the township are good, in places excellent, and are evidence that in point of agricultural resources this town is among the first in the coutry.
Graphics provided by:Michele-Web - Webmaster Resources