The History of
Genesee County, MI
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton
Within a period of three months from the time
its doors were thrown open to the public, the capital was increased to one
hundred thousand dollars, and still further augmented the following year
to one hundred and twenty-five thousand dollars. The sudden death of
colonel Fenton in May, 1871, resulted in a change of some of its offices.
William Hamilton was made president, Alexander McFarlan was made
vice-president and James Van Vleet was added to the board of directors. In
January, 1876, at the annual meeting, a still further change in the
management was made by the election of Alexander McFarland as president
and Col. William B. McCreery as vice-president. Still later (1879) colonel
McCreery was made cashier in the place of Mr. Gibson.
William H. McCreery, director of the Citizens National Bank, and afterwards vice-president and cashier, was born in Mt. Morris, New York, in 1836, coming to Genesee County wit his parents in 1839. His father, Reuben McCreery, built the old McCreery homestead, afterwards owned by C. D. Ulmer, at the corner of Fifth and Grand Traverse streets. William B. McCreery was admitted to the bar of Genesee county in 1859 and practiced law until the breaking out of the Civil War. He served with distinction, entering the service as a member of Company F, Second Michigan Infantry, and coming home as colonel of the Twenty-first Michigan Infantry Regiment, to which rank he was promoted in regular order for valor on the field of battle. He was seriously wounded at Williamsburg, Virginia, and again at Chickamauga. He was taken prisoner at the latter place and after a trying period of imprisonment, escaped from Libby Prison in 1864 through a tunnel which had been dug by himself and a number of his fellow prisoners. On his return from the front, Colonel McCreery associated himself in the general merchandise business with F. W. Judd. He subsequently engaged in the lumber business and conducted a saw-mill on the bank of the river just south of the Saginaw street bridge. He was afterwards collector of internal revenue for this district, under president Grant, and in 1875 was elected state treasurer, which position he occupied for four years. He also served as a member of the state board of agriculture for seven years, and for several years he represented the United States as consul general to Valparaiso, Chile, to which post he was appointed under the Harrison administration. He was largely interested in the construction of the extension of the Grand Trunk Railway from Flint to Lansing, and was one of the original stockholders and at one time president to the Flint City Water Works Company. He was a member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church and a man of genial disposition, a good citizen and a brave soldier. His death occurred in Flint in 1896.
His wife, a gracious and queenly woman, was Miss Ada Fenton, a daughter of Col. William M. Fenton. Their son, Hon. Fenton R. McCreery, has been for twenty years in the diplomatic service of the United States, being for eight years secretary of the legation at Santiago, Chile, and later for some years first secretary of the embassy in Mexico City. subsequently he served as United States minister to Santo Domingo and Honduras.
William L. Gibson, the cashier of the Citizens National Bank, was born in Murray, Orleans County, new York, in 1846. In his youth he came wit his parents to Michigan, his father, Samuel W. Gibson, being the proprietor of the old Genesee House, which stood at what is now the intersection of Detroit and North Saginaw Streets. Mr. Gibson married Miss Bessie Bishop, a daughter of Giles Bishop. In 1880 he removed to Jacksonville, Florida, where for the remainder of his life he was connected with one of the large banks of that state. Illness of a serious nature incapacitated him for business a few years before his death, which occurred in Jacksonville, in 1904.
James Van Vleet, one of the directors of this bank, came from Romulus, Seneca County, New York, in 1844, to examine land he had previously purchased in Gaines Township, where he became a resident, being its supervisor for eighteen years. he removed to Flint in 1869 and served for four years as county treasurer. His death occurred in Flint in 1915.
The Citizens commercial National Bank, which was organized in 1890 from the old Citizens National Bank, has been under the presidency of Robert J. Whaley, since is reorganization, a term of about twenty-six years. its present cashier is William E. Martin. Hon., Horace C. Spencer was its first cashier after its organization as a state bank. Connected with this bank are some of the best business men of the city.
Robert J. Whaley, who has been president of this bank for twenty-six years, was born in Castile, New York, in 1840. When he was twenty-seven years of age he was married to Miss Mary McFarland, a daughter of Alexander McFarlan, of Flint. Coming to Flint in the autumn of 1867, he went into the employ of his father-in-law, who was at that time extensively engaged in the lumbering business, Mr. Whaley continuing in this business until the death of Mr. McFarlan in 1881. Mr. Whaley is regarded as one of the most sagacious banking men of the county, his comprehensive grasp of financial affairs having won for him an unexcelled reputation for business acumen.
Horace C. Spencer, the first cashier of the Citizens Commercial and Savings Bank, was born in Springville, Erie County, New York, in 1832. Coming to Michgian in 1866, he engaged in the hardware business until 1880, when he disposed of his interests to attend to other affairs. Mr. Spencer was one of the original stockholders of the Second National Bank of Bay City, Michigan, which was organized in 1877, and has been conversant with banking affairs for many years. he served in the state Senate during Governor Alger's administration and was a member of the committee that redistricted the state. His daughter is the wife of Arthur G. Bishop, the present president of the Genesee County Savings Bank. For many years Mr. Spencer has been connected with public affairs, having served as mayor of Flint and also for several terms as a member of the city park board in which capacity he rendered invaluable service. Mr. Spencer, at the age of eighty-five, is one of the best preserved men in the county and still actively interested in financial and civic affairs.
Henry C. Van Dusen, the cashier of the Citizens National Bank at the time of the surrender of its charter as a national bank, was born in Michigan City, Indiana. He fought in the civil War and later came to Flint, being identified with the banking life of the community for a number of years. He is still living at the age of seventy-three, at his former home in Michigan City.
George C. Hubbard, one of the pioneers in the hardware business in Genesee county, was a member of the board of directors of this bank. Mr. Hubbard is one of the most widely known business men of Genesee county and sold ox-yokes in 1885 to the grandfathers of the present generation. Mr. Hubbard was in business at one time with Charles M. Wager, the firm name being Hubbard & Wager, but for many years has conducted the establishment under the name of George W. Hubbard Hardware Company. Mr. Hubbard was born in Canandaigua, New York, in 1844.
Soon after the reorganization of the bank in 1891 the following board of directors were elected: Robert J. Whaley, J. W. Begole, S. I. Beecher, George W. Buckingham,. George W. Hubbard, Alex McFarlan, W. C. Durant, D. D. Aitken, J. R. Stockdale, J. H. Whiting, H. C. Spencer. The present officers are: President, R. J. Whaley; vice-p[resident, George W. Hubbard; cashier, W. E. Martin; assistant cashier, H. E. Potter; directors: R. J. Whaley, G. W. Hubbard, J. H. Whiting, D. D. Aitken, Alex McFarlan, H. Winegarden. Thomas Doyle, F. D. Buckingham. Capital stock paid in, $150,000: surplus, $230,000.
GENESEE COUNTY SAVINGS BANK.
The Genesee County Savings Bank was organized in 1872 and opened its office for business on the first day of May in that year, with a capital stock of fifty thousand dollars. Its original board of directors were James B. Walker, Giles L. Denham, John Orrell, W. W. Crapo, Russell Bishop, W. F. Browning, George C. Kimball, C. C. Pierson and Henry Brown. Its first officers were: J. B. Walker, president; G. L. Denham, vice-president; Ira H. Wilder, cashier.
James B. Walker, the first president of the Genesee County Savings Bank, was identified with the life of the county since its earliest days, arriving in Flint in 1836, when it was a mere hamlet. He was born in Locke, Cayuga County, New York, in 1812. Mr. Walker was engaged as clerk in the first dry goods store opened in Flint, the proprietors of which were Beach & Wesson, and afterwards was employed in the dry goods store of H. M. Henderson. In 1838 he built a store on the north side of the river, conducting a mercantile business until 1842, when he erected another store on the corner of Kearsley and Saginaw streets, where he continued in business until 1858. He was appointed by the governor of the state resident trustee and to have charge of the construction of the asylum for the deaf, dumb and blind, and for fifteen years, from 1858 to 1873, he devoted his energies to this institution. During Mr. Walker's term as mayor of Flint the first pavement was laid on Saginaw street. He was one of the original founders of St. Paul's Episcopal parish, and one of the most prominent of the early residents of Flint. His home was located in the block bounded by First, Second, and Grand Traverse Streets, which was afterward he home of his daughter, Mrs. Anna McCall. Mr. Walker died in Flint in 1877.
Giles L. Denham, the vice-president of the Genesee County Savings Bank, was born in New Bradford, Massachusetts, in 1842. He came west to Detroit in the interests of the Pere Marquette railroad, and shortly afterward came to Flint, where he became interest in business affairs. His wife was Miss Jane Henderson, a daughter of H. M. Henderson. Mr. Denham is still residing at the Denham homestead in Flint.
Ira H. Wilder was born in Canadaigua, new York, in 1839, and participated in the Civil War, being a member of a regiment belonging to the Army of the Potomac when the battle of Gettysburg was fought, and also participating as an officer in all the engagements of that army until the close of the war. After being mustered out, Captain Wilder came to Flint and engaged in the milling business, until 1871, when he entered the First National Bank as bookkeeper, remaining there until 1872, when he was made the first cashier of the Genesee County Savings Bank. He died in Muskegon, Michgian, several years ago.
W. F. Browning, of the original board, conducted a mercantile business on the site now occupied by the furniture store of Doty & Salisbury, dealing principally in hats and furs; and Henry Brown was also engaged in the mercantile business in Flint, running a clothing store on the site now occupied by the Crawford & Zimmerman Clothing Company.
C. C. Pierson was a native of Avon, Livingston County, New York, and located in Grand Blanc in 1843. He was one of the organizers of the Genesee County Agricultural Society.
George C. Kimball was the owner of the Genesee Iron Works of Flint, and also built the portion of the Flint & Pere Marquette railroad between Holly and Saginaw. He was also engaged in the hardware business in partnership with Major Morse, the firm name being Morse, Kimball & Company.
John Orrell, of the original board of directors, was born in Heaton, Lancashire, England, in 1882. He came to America in his youth and studied for the ministry, becoming a clergyman of the Unitarian Church. He afterwards came to Michigan and entered the employ of Governor Henry H. Crapo in the lumber business, and married Governor Crapo's daughter, Miss May Ann Crapo. His death occurred in 1876. His son, William Crapo Orrell, has been for a number of years on the board of directors of the bank.
Of the original board of directors, only one member, Hon. W. W. Crapo, is still Living. Mr. Crapo, the only son of Governor Henry H. Crapo, is one of the prominent lawyers of the East and a resident of t new Bedford, Massachusetts. He was for many years president of the old Flint and Pere Marquette Railroad, up to the time of its sale to the Pere Marquette syndicate, and during his tenure of office this railroad enjoyed its most halcyon days. Mr. Crapo was the senior member of the law firmof Crapo & Clifford, of New Bedford, which, at the close of the Civil War, successfully conducted for the United States the litigation against Great Britain to recover damages for neutrality violations, and received for their services what was at that time said to be the largest fee ever paid for legal services in this country, the sum of one million dollars. Mr. Crapo is now president, and has been for many years, of the new Bedford Institution for Savings, the largest institution of its kind, outside of Boston, in the New England states. He is also one of the directors of the Merchants National Bank in New York City.
Russell Bishop, who succeeded James B. Walker as president, came to Flint in the spring of 1837. He was born in Leroy, New York, in 1815, and removed with his family to Oakland County when he was but sixteen years of age. Upon removing to Flint he engaged in mercantile business, his stock of goods being transported from Detroit by team. His business was conducted on the corner of Kearsley and Saginaw street, where the Fenton block now stands. In 1851 his health becoming impaired, he journeyed to Mexico and Texas, making a pert of the interior trip by horseback. The same year he went to England to attend the World's Exposition in London. After his return to Flint he was appointed by Franklin Pierce as receiver of public money at the general land office in Flint, which was at that time one of three stations in the state. Mr. Bishop then engaged in the real estate business, to which he devoted himself exclusively until the organization of the Genesee County Savings Bank. In 1838 he built a fine residence on Beach street, clearing the lot of the heavy timber with which it was covered. Mr. Bishop married Miss Mary Thomson, a sister of Col. E. H. Thomson. Their son is Arthur G. Bishop, the present president of the bank and also president of the Michigan State Bankers' Association during 1915-16. Russell Bishop, after the death of his first wife, married Miss Francis Green, daughter of Judge Sanford Green, of Bay City, one of the ablest jurists of the state, who in his day contributed to his profession a valuable legal work on "Crime."
Russell Bishop was succeeded as president of the Genesee County Savings Bank by William A. Atwood, formerly vice-president of the institution. Mr. Atwood had been a member of the firm of Stone, Atwood & company, proprietors of the Flint woolen Mills, and also a member of the Wood & Atwood Hardware Company. He was born in Niagara county, New York, in 1835, and during his young manhood had been engaged in the lumber business in Canada. In 1866 he came to Michigan and was associated in the same business with Jesse B. Atwood, his brother, and B. W. Livingston, operating a mill with a capacity of about thirty thousand feet a day. In 1836 he was elected to the state Senate to represent Genesee and Livingston counties and during his incumbency of the office was chairman of the committee on state affairs, public lands, and railroads. During his term of service he secured for Flint a new city charter, and also put through various bills for public improvements at Flushing and Howell, Michigan. His wife was Miss Helen Wood, a doughtier of H. w. Wood, one of the oldest residents of Flint. Mr. Atwood died in 1908.
Other members of the board of directors of this institution who served at different periods from 1875 to 1900, were: George R. Gold, M. Davison, C. C. Behan, J. C. Willson, J. B. Atwood, H. C. Spencer, F. H. Pierce, G. E. Taylor.
The first cashier, Ira Wilder occupied this position for twenty years. Arthur G. Bishop then became cashier in 1892, and held that office until he was made president of the bank at the death of Dr. James C. Willson, who succeed William A. Atwood. James Martin, who has been associated with the bank in all its various capacities for the past thirty years, succeeded Mr. Bishop as cashier, and remains in 19196 as cashier of the amalgamated banks.
By the affiliation in 1916 of the National Bank of Flint and the Genesee County Savings Bank, the entire board of directors of both banks merged as one board, with the following officers and directors: President, A. G. Bishop; vice-president, H. C. Spencer, Cashier, James Martin; directors, W. W. Crapo, H. C. Spencer, J. D. Dort, G. C. Willson, E. W. Atwood, E. A. Aldrich, J. H. Crawford, C. S. wells, W. R. Hubbard, C. B. Burr, C. M. Begole, C. W. Nash, B. J. McDonald; capital, $500,000; surplus, $500,000.
The Genesee County Savings Bank in 1915, opened a branch of the main bank at the corner of Asylum and Kearsley streets, for the convenience of patrons on the fourth ward.
UNION TRUST AND SAVINGS BANK
In the year 1893, Ira H. Wilder, who had resigned his position as national bank examiner, with the aid of several of Flint's men of finance, organized the Union Trust and Savings Bank. Its first board of directors included C. T. Bridgman, W. A. Paterson, W. H. Edwards, M. Davison, Sr., Romain Putnam, C. H. Wisner, James T. Hurley, Ira H. Wilder, Flint P. Smith. Its first president was Charles t. Bridgman and cashier, Mr. Wilder. Later, Mr. Wilder was succeeded by Mathew Davison, who served as cashier for many years and was succeeded by L. H. Bridgman, its present cashier. It has been one of the most successful of the city banks and enjoys the universal confidence of the public.
Charles T. Bridgman, the present president of the Union Trust and Savings Bank, was born in Huntsburg, Ohio, in 1845, receiving his education in the preparatory department of the University of Chicago and the Russell Military School of Ohio. In 1864 he arrived in Flint and entered the employ of the William L. Smith company, and in 1871 became a partner in the concern, the firm name being changed to Smith, Bridgman & Company. Mr. Bridgman has been for many years a trustee of the Congregational Church. He has always been a great traveler and recently completed a trip around the world.
Mathew Davison, who served as cashier of this bank for many years, is one of the large holders of Flint business property, owning also much farm land in Genesee county. His first ventures in Flint was in the clothing business, and he has always maintained a reputation for splendid business acumen. He served as mayor of the city of Flint.
Romain Putnam, one of the original directors of this bank, was born in Batavia, New York, in 1838. In 1855 he came with his parents to Genesee county, driving from Detroit to Burton township. When Mr. Putnam was a young man of twenty he engaged in the buying and selling of stock. Later, he became a resident of Flint, entering the grain business, the firm name being Beecher & Putnam, and later R. Putnam & company. Besides owning a large elevator in Flint, the firm also operated one at Clio. Mr. Putnam's wife was Miss Ellen Wolverton, a daughter of Asa Wolverton, who came to Burton Township in 1855 from Tioga, New York. Mr. Putnam's death occurred in Flint several years ago.
James J. Hurley, one of the original directors, was born in London, England, in 1850, coming to America in 1871. He came s far as Grand Blanc and thence on foot to Flint, where he obtained employment at the Sherman Hotel as porter. He afterwards engaged in the manufacture of soap and later entered the coal and wood business. Subsequently, he became interested in real estate, building many residences, which he rented for reasonable sums, showing always towards his tenants a most commendable spirit of justice and fairness. He was one of the organizer and largest stockholders of the first light and power company of Flint. His death occurred in 1905. Mr. Hurley was a man of broad human sympathies, as was evidenced by his fit to the city at the time of his death of sufficient funds with which to build a general hospital, on a site which he had previously selected and purchased for this purpose. Hurley Hospital is on Begole Street. in all its appointments it is one of the most modern and best equipped hospitals in the state and a fitting monument to its founder.
Flint P. Smith, one of the directors of the Union Trust and Savings Bank, for many years, was born in Penfield, Ohio, in 1853. He was a son of Hiram Smith, who came to Michigan in 1845 and engaged in the lumbering business. In 1847 Mr. Smith, the elder, sawed a large amount of lumber in Lapeer County and rafted it to Saginaw, this being the first lumber ever sent from that county. He then returned to Ohio and on the breaking out of the Civil War spend one year in cutting black walnut with which to make gun stocks for the government. He returned from Ohio to Michigan in 1867, and located in Flint, which at that time had twenty lumber mills. He built a large mill and dealt in hardwood, probably cutting half the hard lumber ever marketed in this county, including a large amount of oak. For many years he was known throughout the county as "Hardwood" Smith, a name which clung to him to the time of his death. He built one of the few really fine residences in Flint at that time, situated on the corner of Stockton and Third Streets, now owned by George Forrest.
Flint P. Smith, having a wide knowledge of lumbering through his father's extensive operations, succeeded to the business, and for many years operated the old Crapo mill. He afterward engaged in the same business in Orvisburg, Mississippi, later returning to Flint. Mr. Smith owned a large amount of real estate in the business district and was regarded as one of the most judicious of business man. As one of the directors he was also a heavy stockholder in the Union Trust and Savings Bank. He was married in 1875 to Miss Franc A. Brainerd, of Attica, New York, who, after Mr. Smith's death, which occurred in 1909, erected to his memory the nine-story office building known as the Flint P. Smith building at the corner of Union and Saginaw Streets, the most pretentious business block in the county, the ground floor of which is occupied by the Industrial Savings Bank.
Judge George H. Durand and William F. Stewart were later added to the directorate to fill vacancies. William F. Stewart, who was entirely a self-made man, was born in London, Ontario, in 1846. He learned carriage making in his youth and in 1868 located in Pontiac, Oakland County, and engaged in that business. In 1881 Mr. Stewart established himself in the manufacturing business in Flint, making carriage bodies on an extensive scale. Later, when the automobile industry developed, he built automobile bodies. He erected on the corner of Industrial and Hamilton avenues a large factory building for this purpose. Mr. Stewart was a man of unquestioned business integrity and judgment, and a valuable acquisition to the directorate of this bank. He died in Flint in 1911. Judge Durance was one of the foremost citizens of the state.
The officers and directors of the Union Trust and Savings Bank in 1916 are: C. T. Bridgman, President; W. a. Paterson, Vice-President; W. H. Edwards, Vice-President; M. Davison, Chairman of the Board; L. H. Bridgman, cashier; J. E. Storer, assistant cashier. Directors: C. T. Bridgman, W. A. Paterson, M. Davison, George W. Cook, W. H. Edwards, W. E. Braman, F. H. Rankin, A. M. Davison, J. G. Windiate, C. H. Bonbright, S. S. Stewart, R. W. Selleck.
INDUSTRIAL SAVINGS BANK.
The Industrial Savings Bank, the youngest of the financial institutions of Flint, was organized in the original bank building being located on the corner of Hamilton and Industrial avenues, near the offices of the automobile industries. In 1913 the bank opened a central bank in the Flint P. Smith building and the former bank is now run as a branch to the main bank. Hon. Charles S. Mott, president, is an ex-mayor of Flint, and a director of the General Motors Company. He is a man of large wealth, and a generous, public-spirited citizen.
Grant J. Brown, who has been cashier of this bank since its organization, was formerly assistant cashier of the People State Bank at Flushing, and later was state bank examiner.
The third office of this banking house was opened in 1916 on St. John street, Fairview, for the convenience of business men and factory employees in the far north and east sides of Flint.
Its officers and directors are: C. S. Mott, President; C. W. Nash, Vice-president; Grant J. Brown, cashier; F. M. Buffum, Assistant cashier; P. H. Callahan, Assistant Cashier; John S. DeCamp, Assistant Cashier. Directors: D. D. Aitken, Dr. F. D. Baker, N. J. Berston, E. D. Black, W. P. Chrysler, W. E. Fellows, Leonard Freeman, Grant J. Brown, A. B. C. Hardy. G. R. Jackson, R. Kleinpell, C. S. Mott, S. S. Stewart, J. G. Warrick, Fred J. Weiss
Reflecting actual conditions most accurately is the report of the banks. An increase of more than one million dollars being shown in savings deposits in 1915. When compared with the previous year, this is particularly encouraging as showing the thrifty, careful character of the citizenship which is contributing toward the greatness of the city.
The records of the Flint Clearing House Association, as reported for the year ending September 30, 1916, tot he New York Clearing House Association, show the banking institution of this city to have just completed the most successful year in the history of the city. They have nearly doubled all previous records for the same period and have established a total close to the $50,000,000 mark, more than doubling the banner year of 1910. What is even more remarkable in reflecting the growth of the city and its business, the year just closed exceeds heavy clearings of 1915 by a margin that was nearly sufficient to double that year's record also. The records for the year just closed show that the city is enjoying the most prosperous period in its history.
The First National Bank of Fenton was organized in the summer of 1863, with David L. Latourette as president and manager. In 1871, Mr. Latourette failed, the bank was closed, the operations of the woolen factory were suspended and stockholders suffered severe losses.
After the suspension of the First national Bank its business was principally transferred to the State Bank of Fenton, which had been established the preceding January (1871). It was organized under the state law and was not a bank of issue. Its first offers were: President, Josiah Buckbee; Cashier, Edwin Trump; Directors: Josiah Buckbee, Andrew Cornwall, John F, Walton, Harvey Fannington, Erastus T. Tefft.
Mr. Buckbee, the president, came from Jefferson County, New York, in April, 1956, and engaged in the dry goods trade, which he continued until the bank was established.
Cranson's Bank, a private institution, was established by Job Cranson in 1876. A General banking business was transacted. Mr. Cranson was one of the early settlers in Michigan, having removed from Madison county, New York, in 1830, with the family of his father, Elisha Cranson, and settled in the town of Webster, Washtenaw County. In 1833 Joe Cranson removed to the township of Brighton, Livingston county, where he made the first purchase of land and became the first settler. Until his removal to Fenton in 1867 Mr. Cranson was engaged in farming, and after locating there was for a short time secretary of the Fenton Manufacturing Company.
In 1880 there were three banks in Flint and two village banks. In 1916 there are four banks in Flint and fourteen village banks. In 1880 the combined deposits of the county banks were about four hundred thousand dollars. In 1916 they approximate eighteen millions. Since 1880 one state bank has be organized in Fenton, two in Flushing, one in Montrose, one In Clio, one in Otisville, and one in Davison, and private banks in Grand Blanc, Mt. Morris, Goodrich, Gaines, Swartz Creek, and Linden. In 1880 there were five banks in Genesee County, In 1916 there are eighteen banks successfully conducted.
The Otisville State Bank was established in the village of Otisville in 1909. Its officers are: President, C. d. Doane; Vice-President, Andrew Reece; Cashier, A. Prosser. Its paid-up capital is $20,000, and the surplus $5,000.
The Fenton State Savings Bank was established in 1908. Its officers are: President, C. J. Campbell; Vice-President, J. M. Fikes; Cashier, F. H. Hitchcock. Its paid-up capital is $25,000, and it has a surplus of $8,000.
The peoples State Bank of Flushing was established in 1900. Its officers are: President, L. A. Vickery; Vice-President, John H. Rowe; Cashier, H. L. Mann, it has a paid-up capital of $25,000, and a surplus of $16,000.
The First State and Savings Bank of Flushing was established in 1881. Its officers are: President, F. a. Niles; Vice-President, E. L. Cornwall; Cashier, George Packard. It has a paid-up capital of $27,500, and a surplus of $27,000.
The Montrose State Bank, in the village of Montrose, was established in 1880. Its officers are: President, F. P. Sayre; Vice-President, A. B. Wood; Cashier, W. A. Speer. Its paid-up capital is $20,000, and its surplus is $1,000.
The Clio State Bank, in the village of Clio, was established in 1885. Its officers are; President, Charles G. Matgen; Vice-President, Thomas Oliff; Cashier, Charles E. Taylor. It has a paid-up capital of $25,000, and a surplus of $2,500.
The Davison State Bank, in the village of Davison, was established in 1895. Its officers are: President, A. B. Cullen; Vice-President, S. T. Hall; Cashier, W. G. Billings; Assistant Cashier, M. A. McBratney. Its paid-up capital is $25,000, and its surplus is $14,000.
The Commercial Savings Bank, of Fenton, was established in 1898. Its officers are: President, E. C. Forte; Vice-President, L. E. Becker; Cashier, E. M. Newall. It has a paid-up capital of $25,000, and its surplus is $15,000.
The Citizens Bank, a private bank in the village of Gaines, was organized in 1907. Its officers re: president, W. B. Cozadd; Vice-President, A. T. Miller; Cashier, George W. Chase, Jr.
The Bank of Goodrich, in the village of Goodrich, was organized in 1908. Its officers are: President, A. S. Wheelock; Vice-president, Warren Green; Cashier, R. E. Hebeler. Its paid-up capital is $5,000, and its surplus is $1,200.
The Bank of Swartz Creek was organized in the village of Swartz Creek, in 1906. Its officers are: President, C. J. Miller; Vice-President, M. D. Davison; Cashier, Frank Wildman; Assistant-Cashier, W. L. Miller.
The Farmers Exchange Bank of Grand Blanc was organized in the village of Grand Blanc in 1908. Its officers are: President, F. J. Sawyer; Vice-President, Frank M. Perry; Cashier, A. D. Gundry; Assistant-Cashier, F. Larobardiere. Its paid-up capital is $5,000, and its surplus $2,000.
The Bank of Linden was organized in that village in 1889. Its officers are: President, James L. Spencer; Cashier, F. F. Glerum. Its paid-up capital is $10,000.
The Bank of Mt. Morris, in the village of Mt. Morris, is a private bank established in 1903, by D. H. Power, of Pontiac, with a capital stock of $5,000. In 1905 Charles D. Stanley, of Mt. Morris, bought this bank and operated it until 19911, when he sold one-half interest in it to Edward C. Van DeWalker, who at that time took over the active management. It has at present (1916) both a commercial and a savings department. Its officers are; President, Stanley & Van DeWalker; Cashier, E. C. Van DeWalker; Assistant Cashier, M. V. Coddington.
History of Genesee
County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Deb
You are the 12177th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since March 1, 2002.
[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]