The History of Genesee County, MI
Chapter XXIV
Knights of the Loyal Guard

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton

 

KNIGHTS OF THE LOYAL GUARD.

The Knights of the Loyal Guard, a fraternal beneficiary society was organized in Flint, under the laws of the state of Michigan, on January 31, 1895. Its original incorporators were:

Francis H. Rankin

William C. Durant

Edwin O. wood

B. F. Cotharin

Mark W. Stevens

Dr. O. Millard

J. P. Burroughs

T. Fred Anderson

Frank D. Buckingham

.

 

Subordinate Division No. 1 was organized on the evening of February 21, 1895, in the hall in the Judd block, on which occasion over five hundred members were obligated. Ex-Mayor John R. MacDonald was the first captain-general of Division No. 1.

Judge Durand Division No. 15 meets the first Saturday of each month in Loyal Guard Hall, Edward Glynn is recorder.

The executive officers of the Loyal guard for 1916 were, President, H. H. Prosser, Secretary, and treasurer, Mrs. AM. A. Warren.

In August, 1916, the Loyal Guard consolidated with the Columbian Circle, of Chicago. During the twenty-one years of Loyal Guard, preceding the merger, it paid out more then one million dollars to the beneficiaries of its deceased members.

 

History of Genesee County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
by Edwin O. Wood, LL.D, President Michigan Historical Commission, 1916

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Deb

You are the 2387th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since March 1, 2002.

2002

[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]