The History of Genesee County, MI
Chapter XXIX
Flint City Plats, Additions & Sub-Divisions

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton

 

 FLINT CITY PLATS, ADDITIONS AND SUB-DIVISIONS.

There Were several plats of the village of Flint River filed in the office of the register of deeds. The first one was filed by A. e. Wathares in 1830. He called it a plat of the village of Sidney. The territory embraced in this plat covered four blocks--from Saginaw Street to Clifford, east and west, and from the river to First Street, north and south. This was followed by a re-survey in 1833 and the name of Flint river was substituted for Sidney. The new plat covered the territory embraced in the Sidney plat and extended to the present Fourth Street and on the east to Harrison Street. In 1836 this village plat was extended to East Street and included thirty-two blocks.

The village of Grand Traverse was platted on the north side of the river in 1837 and the plat was filed on January 16 of the year. It extended from the river to Seventh Avenue, north, and from Smith's Island--St. John's Street--to West Street, now known as Stone Street. This was platted by Chauncey S. Payne.

The village of Flint was platted by Wait Beach, July 13, 1836. It extended from the river to Eleventh Street, south, and from Saginaw Street to Church--all being west of the Saginaw Turnpike, now Saginaw Street.

Elisha Beach filed a plat on September 22, 1836, extending the limits of Flint village to Pine Streets, adding twenty blocks and on February 28, 1837, Gen. C. C., Hascall, platted an addition to the village, east of Saginaw Street to Clifford and from Court Street south to Eleventh--sixteen block. But while all these plats showed villages, there really never was an incorporated village of Sidney, Flint River Grand Traverse or Flint. There was always a township organization and then a city.

Up to 1900 there were over sixty "additions" to the territory originally embraced in the limits of the city of Flint. These additions vary in size from a few lots to nearly fifty blocks. Among the most important may be mentioned: McFarland & Company's Western Addition, forty-nine blocks; Thayer & Eddy's sixteen blocks; Stockton's eleven blocks; Fenton & Bishop's, fourteen blocks; West Flint, twelve blocks, and Oak Park addition, embracing thirty-four blocks. When the present site of the water works was selected, that location still remained in the township of Burton, but it was subsequently added to the city.

The following plats have been filed in the office of the register of deeds of Genesee county, Michigan, beginnings with the year, 1900, to July 1916, a total of twenty-two thousand two hundred and five lots, to which may be added several plats laid out during the latter part of 1916 and bringing the number of lots platted in six years to nearly twenty-five thousand

 

ASSESSED VALUATION, TAX RATE AND AMOUNT RAISED FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS

Rate, per $1,000 Valuation

1911

1912

1913

1914

1915

Total Summer

$11.50

$12.75

$11.96

$12.20

$11.80

Total Winter

10.03

6.95

9.30

7.88

8.95

Total

21.53

19.70

21.26

20.08

20.75

City Summer

8.00

8.25

8.54

7.70

7.42

City Winter

1.85

1.28

1.89

1.25

1.25

*City Total

9.85

9.53

10.43

8.95

8.67

School Summer

3.50

4.50

3.42

4.50

4.38

School Winter

1.55

1.47

1.73

1.70

1.80

*School Total

5.05

5.97

5.15

6.20

6.18

County

2.30

1.50

1.65

1.50

1.50

County Road

1.00

.80

1.00

1.50

1.50

*County Total

3.30

2.30

2.65

3.00

3.00

*State Total

3.33

1.90

3.03

1.93

2.90

School, State, County and County Road

11.68

10.17

1.83

11.13

112.08

Total

21.53

19.70

21.26

20.08

20.75

Assessed Valuation

$23,555,106.00

$24,569,228.00

$33,902,697.00

$35,267,451.00

$37,166,190.00

Amount Raised

City

232,017.83

246,404.54

351,755.20

315,660.44

326,476.83

School

118,953.30

160,698.53

173,869.19

218,646.05

229,703,64

County

54,248.54

51,750.20

56,204.02

53,079.18

55,749.58

County Road

23,555.10

27,341.74

33,902.69

52,897.14

55,749.58

State

78,300.46

64,638.00

102,488.45

67,631,77

107,119.10

Total

$507,075.23

$550,833.41

$718,219.55

$707,968.55

$774,898.73

 

NAME OF PLAT

# of Lots

Name of Plat

# of Lots

Adelaide

60

Homedale Subdivision

581

Arlington Place

185

Lucy-Mason-Howard Plat

155

Beachdale

177

Kearsley Park Subdivision

200

Becker Heights Addition

41

Kirby's Addition

27

Bickford Park

60

Knob Hill

26

Bishop's Re-Plat

8

George LaDue's Addition

37

Buick Heights

91

Liberty Street Extension

22

Buick Park

262

Maplewood

305

Burr's Addition

24

Bang's Re-Plat

33

Collingwood

228

A. McFarlan's Re-Plat

51

Columbia Heights

266

Maines' Re-Plat

13

Courtdale

97

Wright's Re-Plat

18

Dewey homestead addition

289

Veit's Re-Plat

60

J. D. Dort's Addition

20

McLaughlin's addition

38

Eastern Addition to Homedale

540

Maines' Flint Crest

120

Edgewood Plat

34

Maplewood Annex

305

Elk Park Subdivision

42

Motor Heights

130

Elm Park Subdivision

412

Motor Heights Second Subdivision

288

Fairfield Subdivision

149

Motor heights third Subdivision

124

Fairmont Addition

205

Murray Hill

121

Fairview

255

Murray Hill No. 2

176

Flanders & Houran's Subdivision

91

Re-Plat of Reserve & Lot 95 of Murray Hill

5

Floral Park

110

   

Franklin Park

242

North Addition to Fairview

128

Fenton heights (Supervisor's Plat)

31

Oakland

110

Gilkey Ridge

126

Oak Park Subdivision

638

Gilkey Ridge No. 2

122

Durant-Dort Carriage Co., Re-Plat

98

Gillespie & Van Wagoner's Subdivision

103

Parkland

346

Garner's Re-Plat

8

Parkland No. 2

398

Grant heights

401

Park Heights Addition

298

Hamilton Homestead Addition

23

Parkview

47

Loyal Guard Square Re-Plat

21

Pasadena

789

Woolfit & Macomber Re-Plat

15

Pomeroy-Bonbright Addition

530

Hillcrest

793

Pomeroy-Bonbright Second Addition

172

Pomeroy-Bonbright Third Addition

597

General Motors' Park

545

Rice's Addition

11

Miner's Subdivision

54

River Addition to Fairview

337

Brookfield Addition

23

Riverside

186

Vineland No. 1

19

South Park

128

Fenton Park Addition

92

Piper's Re-Plat

29

Suburban Gardens

828

Stevenson's Plat

36

Fenton Street Subdivision

359

Stewart's Plat

138

Indian village

422

Stewart's Plat No. 2

335

Metawaneenee Hills No. 1

141

Stone-Macdonald Addition

355

Mason Manor

284

Stone-Macdonald-Kaufman Addition

473

Lincoln Park Subdivision

454

Taylor's Addition

16

Maplewood Annex No. 1

450

Third Avenue Terrace Addition

144

Plat of Bellaire

135

VanTifflin Place

14

Mason Manor No. 1

152

Vineland

113

Virginia Place Subdivision

324

Windiate-Pierce Subdivision

213

Woodcroft Subdivision

130

E. O. Wood's Plat

53

Clarkdale Subdivision

140

Woodlawn Plat

393

Nickels Park Subdivision

176

Woodward Plat

26

Mannhall Park

197

Highland Park Subdivision

61

Atherton Park Subdivision

591

Kummer's Addition

37

. .

Cloverdale No. 2

512

. .

Boulevard Heights Subdivision

591

. .

.

.

Total number of lots

22,205

 

Flint's are in 1916 is seven thousand and forty acres. It is a city of homes. Many of its workingmen either own their homes or are buying them on the contract plan. The greatest problem of Great Flint has been to supply the unusual demand for houses. There are fifteen hundred factory employees who live in Saginaw, thirty miles away, and twelve hundred who live in Bay City, forty miles away, and there are also three hundred and four hundred who live in the more accessible villages of Clio and Mt. Morris. The crying need is for five thousand more homes. Capitalists are bending their energies to supply this demand so that the industrial progress of Flint may not be stayed. The Civic Building Association, organized with a paid-up capital of two hundred thousand dollars in 1916, is trying to alleviate the situation. It has planned the completion of five hundred moderate priced homes for workingmen by the close of 1916. There were at the beginning of the year 1916, twelve thousand five hundred residence buildings in the city. with the plans for the construction of many new houses and the completion of those under way there are prospects of from fifteen thousand to sixteen thousand homes in the city by January, 1917.

Building permits for the first half of 1916 passed the total of 1915, when thirteen hundred and two permits for new construction work and three hundred and thirty-nine for repair work were issued from the city clerk's office from January 1 to July 1. The value of buildings for which permits were granted during this period was approximately two million five hundred thousand, or nearly one million dollars ahead of the total amount for the year 1915.

 

The record in the city clerk's off ice shows that building permits for structures to cost one hundred dollars or more during the past five years have been issued as follows:

1912

181

1913

290

1914

416

1915

1,398

1916 to July 1

1,302

 

Of the thirteen hundred and ninety-right permits in 1915, twelve hundred and four were for houses, twenty-four for flats, twenty for stores with flats, eighty-eight for barns and garages, and the remainder for business buildings.

 

History of Genesee County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
by Edwin O. Wood, LL.D, President Michigan Historical Commission, 1916

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Deb

You are the 3512th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since March 1, 2002.

2002

[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]