The History of Genesee County, MI
Chapter XXIX
The Post Office

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton

 

THE POST OFFICE.

On August 5, 1834, Lyman Stowe was appointed the first postmaster of Flint River. In 1836 the name of the postoffice was changed from Flint River to Flint, and in 1837 John Todd, the proprietor of Todd's Tavern was appointed. The postoffice was located in a little building on the corner of Saginaw and Kearsley Streets, the site now being occupied by the First National Bank. The office subsequently was located at many different places, at one time occupying the site of what is now the S. S. Kresge Company. In later years, however, it was removed to the building on the corner of Union and Saginaw street, owned by the William Hamilton estate and Mrs. J. B. Atwood.

On July 13, 1909, the office was removed to the present building, which stands on the site of the old E. H. McQuigg homestead, on the corner of Harrison and Kearsley street. the government appropriation for the building and land was ninety thousand and the present postoffice, a handsome structure of classic design, is a credit to the city. Its facilities, however, are inadequate to care for the city's rapidly-increasing population, and another government appropriation has been asked for to erect an addition to the main office to relieve the present congested conditions which prevail.

In December, 1915, the receipts of the postoffice were $17, 190,86, the largest month's business ever recorded. The total receipts for the year aggregated $131,941.70, a gain of $3,225,40 over the previous year, when the receipts totaled $128,716.30.

 

The growth in this respect is shown in the following figures:

.

1914

1915

1916

January

$10,584.64

$9,750.34

$12,530.90

February

9,636.32

8,997.16

12,211.53

March

10,959.37

10,553.48

14,135.54

April

10,552,23

10,574.84

12,659.03

May

10,554.13

10,002,32

13,128.73

June

10,554.94

8,879.80

13,094.02

July

9,242.39

10,195.69

.

August

10,199,75

12,000.65

.

September

10,793.33

10,517.01

.

October

11,538.17

11,349.01

.

November

10,040.78

11,349.01

.

December

14,063.25

17,190.86

.

Total

$128,716.30

$131,941.70

*$77,759.75

*Six Months

 

Returning again to the remarkable growth of Flint, the increase in prosperity is indicated by the postoffice receipts, which were $131,941.70 for the year 1915, as against $38,964.90 for the year 1904, when the Buick Motor Company was started.

The 1916 list of officials includes: postmaster, assistant postmaster, Clerks (twenty-three), Carriers (twenty-eight), rural carriers (nine) and substitute carriers (four).

 

The following is the official list of postmasters from 1834 to 1916:

Lyman Stowe

Appointed August 5, 1834

Lyman Stowe

Appointed September 1, 1836

John Todd

Appointed October 2, 1837

William P. Crandall

Appointed December 28, 1839

William Moon

Appointed June 16, 1841

William P. Crandall

Appointed October 12, 1844

Alvin T. Crosman

Appointed April 28, 1849

Ephraim S. Williams

Appointed May 7, 1853

Washington O'Donoughue

Appointed March 27, 1861

William Tracy

Appointed April 21, 1869

John Algoe

Appointed July 31, 1874

Washington O'Donoughue

Appointed march 26, 1875

Francis H. Rankin

Appointed March 3, 1879

William W. Joyner

Appointed March 3, 1887

George E. Newall

Appointed February 15, 1891

John H. Hicock

Appointed February 25, 1895

Blendin Hicock

Appointed September 3, 1896

James A. Button

Appointed September 14, 1897

Fred P. Baker

Appointed May 25, 1909

Frank D. Baker

Appointed July 17, 1913

 

History of Genesee County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
by Edwin O. Wood, LL.D, President Michigan Historical Commission, 1916

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Deb

You are the 1657th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since March 1, 2002.

2002

[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]