The History of Genesee County, MI
Chapter XXIX
Population

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton

 

POPULATION.

Strange as it may seem, Flint never had an organization as a village, but from a simple, township leaped into a full fledged city. January 18, 1855, a citizens' meeting was held to consider the subject of a city charter and the act of incorporation became a law by approval of Governor Bingham, February 3, 1855, and on April 2nd following the first charter election was held, and the Hon. Grant Decker was chosen its first mayor.

The population of the new city of Flint when incorporated was about two thousand. 

 

The following figures best show the phenomenal growth of Flint for the sixteen years since 1900:

1855

2,000

1890

9,830

1900

13,103

1910

38,550

1916 (estimated)

85,000

 

CITY OFFICIALS OF FLINT.

The following is a complete roster of the city officers for 1916:

Mayor

Earl F. Johnson

President pro tem

George C. Kellar

Clerk

Delos E. Newcombe

Treasurer

John H. Long

Attorney

John H. Farley

Engineer

E. C. Shoecraft

Health Officer

Don D. Knapp

Milk and Food Inspect and Sealer of Weights and Measure

Edward J. Friar

Plumbing Inspector

G. C. M. Shaw

Electrical and Building Inspector

George D. Hanna

Chief of Fire Department

Edward H. Price

Chief of Police

James P. Cole

Superintendent of Streets

Lee Davison

Superintendent of Poor

Frank L. Wells

Superintendent of Water Works

F. N. Baldwin

Sexton of City Cemetery

Frank Moyer

Market Keeper

Frank S. Thompson

Justices of the Peace

William L. Landon and James M. Torrey

 

Aldermen:

First Ward

Edward J. Clark

John W. Collins

Second Ward

George H. Gordon

Homer Vette

Third Ward

Fred R. Armstrong

William D. Clark

Fourth Ward

George C. Kellar

Frank C. Torrey

Fifth Ward

Eslie G. Frazer

Nahum W. Long

Sixth Ward

George F. Streat

Otto M. Ramlow

Board of Health

C. D. Chapell

Noah Bates

Board of Hospital Managers

W. E. Martin

J. D. Dort

E. W. Atwood

Orson Millard

George D. Flanders

.

Park Commissioners

C. B. Burr

P. R. Doherty

George E. McKinley

George E. Pomeroy

C. S. Mott

.

Police Commissioners

Fred Weiss

Fred D. Lane

Charles H. Miller

Frank R. Streat

Water Commissioners

Benjamin F. Miller

William Veit

 

Standing Committee, 1916-1917

Finance

Kellar

Armstrong

Gordon

Collins

Ramlow

Frazer

Fire Department

Armstrong

Streat

Collins

Torrey

Frazer

Vette

Buildings

Gordon

Kellar

E. J. Clark

W. D. Clark

Long

Ramlow

Streets

Torrey

W. D. Clark

E. J. Clark

Long

Vette

Streat

Sewers

W. D. Clark

E. J. Clark

Torrey

Streat

Vette

Long

Ordinances

Collins

Kellar

Streat

Armstrong

Frazer

.

Railroads

Streat

Kellar

Gordon

W. D. Clark

.

.

Bridges

Ramlow

Long

Torrey

Gordon

Collins

W. D. Clark

Licenses

Frazer

Vette

Ramlow

Lighting

E. J. Clark

Torrey

Long

Ramlow

.

.

Water

Long

Armstrong

E. J. Clark

Sanitary

Vette

Streat

Torrey

Parks

Vette

Armstrong

Frazer

Conventions

Gordon

Armstrong

Frazer

Collins

.

.

Cemetery

Kellar

W. D. Clark

Gordon

 

Number of City Employees (Sewer, Paving and Street)

700

Number of City Firemen

43

Number of City Policemen

39

Assessed Valuation of Flint

$47,594,444,00

 

History of Genesee County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
by Edwin O. Wood, LL.D, President Michigan Historical Commission, 1916

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Deb

You are the 2517th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since March 1, 2002.

2002

[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]