The History of
Genesee County, MI
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton
WATERWORKS AND SEWERS.
In 1912 there was opened a new waterworks filtration plant, costing four hundred thousand dollars, with a pumping capacity of twenty-three million gallons per day, furnishing water which is shown by chemical analysis to be 98 per cent pure. In 1916 the water board, realizing that the plant was soon to be taxed to its utmost capacity and that many sections of the city were still without water, asked for four hundred thousand dollars for the construction of a large addition tot he plant, including a water-softening equipment and the extension of its high pressure service mains. On July 1, 1916, there are eight-five miles of water pipes, with more proposed lines in the year of 1917.
There are also begun a comprehensive plan of sewer construction, with the separation of sanitary and storm-water sewage, together with intercepting sewers joining the sanitary sewers so as to carry this sewage to a point below the city when it becomes necessary to build a disposal plant. Of sewers there are one hundred and fifteen miles, with twenty-five miles more proposed for 1917. On January 1, 1913, there were forty-two and one-half miles of sewers in the city.
for a total of one hundred and fifteen and one-half miles in 1916.
History of Genesee
County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Deb
You are the 2386th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since March 1, 2002.
[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]