The History of
Genesee County, MI
Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton
In the same year of 1833 occurred the first election of officers for the new township of Grand Blanc, which included the settlement at the site of Flint. The following citizens received official honors: Lyman Stow, justice of peace and assessor; John Todd, high commissioner; Elijah N. Davenport, constable; James W. Cronk, trustee of school lands; George Oliver, overseer of highways.
One of the first decisions of the new town government was to dispense with Todd's ferry and build a good bridge over the Flint river at the foot of Saginaw street. the contract to build the bridge was sublet to a Mr. Davis, and with its completion and the erection of the Thread grist-mill the settlement began to wear the aspect of a village. Augustus C. Stevens, a man of considerable means, came on from buffalo, new York, and bought two hundred acres on the east side of the Saginaw road from James Cronk, while his brother, Rufus W. Stevens, established a small store similar to the one he had in Grand Blanc. It was their money that built the grist-mill. At this time, too, came Daniel O'Sullivan, the first school teacher in Flint.
Pioneer conditions are reflected in the prices of real estate at this time. In 1833 James W. Cronk purchased the Todd domain for seven hundred and fifty-one dollars, Mr. Todd reserving his house and one and a half acres of land. In August, 1834, Augustus C. Stevens purchased of Cronk and wife all the section lying on the east side of Saginaw street for eight hundred dollars, and on January 31, 1835, James w. Cronk and wife sold the remainder, or that portion lying on the west side of the same street, to William Morrison and J. C. Dubois, for one thousand dollars. Six months later, however, Messrs. Morrison and Dubois reconveyed to Cronk for the same amount. Colonel Cronk and wife then sold to John Todd the Morrison and Dubois purchase, or the lands west of Saginaw street for two thousand two hundred and fifty dollars.
History of Genesee
County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
Transcribed by Holice B. Young
HTML by Deb
You are the 2993rd Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since June 1, 2002.
[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]