The History of Genesee County, MI
Chapter IV
Land Office

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton

 

LAND OFFICE.

An event of much significance for the increase of settlement in Flint was the establishment of the United States land office there August 23. 1836. This institution of the center of interest wherever established, as the place where title to lands was secured. There all sales of United States lands were recorded, and reports of these were made to the commissioner of the general land office at Washington, D. C.; and in due course a patent for the land purchased, signed by the president, was sent to the local office and the delivered tot he purchaser. This office was continued at Flint until January 14, 1857, when it was removed to East Saginaw. Following are the officials who served at Flint.

 

Registered:

Michael Hoffman

July 5, 1836

John Barston

August 10, 1838

Cornelius Roosevelt

May 21, 1849

William M. Fenton

March 25, 1853

Receivers

Charles C. Hascall

July 5, 1836

Elijah B. Witherbee

February 23, 1843

Robert J. S. Page

October 12, 1849

Charles C. Hascall

March 21, 1845

George M. Dewey

March 18, 1849

Russell Bishop

March 18 1853

 

From East Saginaw the office was removed to Grayling, where the maps, field notes and all the records were destroyed by fire. the office was then moved to Marquette in the upper peninsula.

 

History of Genesee County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
by Edwin O. Wood, LL.D, President Michigan Historical Commission, 1916

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Deb

You are the 2688th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since June 1, 2002.

2002

[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]