The History of Genesee County, MI
Chapter IV
First Village Plats

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton

 

FIRST VILLAGE PLATS.

The village was first platted as early as 1830, the plat being filed by A. E. Wathares, who called it the village of Sidney. His plat embraced four blocks, from Saginaw street to Clifford, east and west, and from the river to First street, north and south. In 1833 the site was resurveyed, a new plat was made, and the name of Flint River was substituted for Sidney. The new plat covered the Sidney plat and more, extending to the present Fourth street on the east to Harrison street. On October 9, 1835, John Clifford had registered in Oakland county a plat bounded as follows: commencing at the bridge, thence along Saginaw street to Fourth, Fourth to Harrison, Harrison to Kearsley, Kearsley to Clifford, and along Clifford to the river. Wait Beach platted the west side of Saginaw street, July 13, 1836; his plat covered the land bounded by the Flint river, Saginaw, Eleventh and Church street. September 6, 1836, John Clifford and others platted that portion of the village bounded by the Flint river, thence along East street to Court, Court to Saginaw, ?Saginaw to Fourth, Fourth to Harrison, Harrison to Kearsley, Kearsley to Clifford, and Clifford to the river. September 22, Elisha Beach plated the tract bounded by Eleventh, Pine, Fifteenth and West streets. January 12, 1837, Chauncey S. Payne platted and offered for sale lots in the village of Grand Traverse. This plat lay upon the east side of Saginaw street and was bounded by the river, /Saginaw, and North streets. Four days later he made an addition on the west side of Saginaw street, which was bounded by the latter street, North and West streets, and the Flint river. this was the extent of the settlement on the Flint at the time when Michigan became a state in the Union. Except on the first ones, these plats were all surveyed by Capt. Harvey Parke, of Pontiac.

 

History of Genesee County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
by Edwin O. Wood, LL.D, President Michigan Historical Commission, 1916

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Deb

You are the 2903rd Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since June 1, 2002.

2002

[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]