The History of Genesee County, MI
Chapter V
Mundy Township

Online Edition by Holice, Deb & Clayton

 

MUNDY TOWNSHIP.

The earliest land entries in Mundy township were made in 1833 on sections 13, 14, 11 and 12, respectively, by David Williams, of Lapeer county, Michigan, John Richards, of Niagara county, New York, and Bradbury Eastman, of Tompkins county, New York. The only lands of the township in the hands of the government at the end of 1836 were forty acres in section 28, which were taken up in 1837.

The first permanent settlements effected in this township were by Daniel Williams, Eli Gilbert and Jason L. Austin in 1833 on section 13. Volney Stiles settled soon afterward on section 11. In the following year came Morgan Baldwin and George Judson. All of the settlers were from the state of New York.

Among those who had made heir homes in Mundy township before Michigan was admitted tot he Union are the following: Thomas Glover, David Gibson, Seth Kitchen, Ebenezer Bishop, Josiah Alger and family of ten children, Mr. Barnum, Asa Pierce, William Odell, Jeshurum Leach, Jonathan G. Firman and others.

The first white male child born in the township of Mundy was Thomas Glover's son, Henry Glover, and he first white female child was Hannah Baldwin, daughter of Morgan Baldwin, her birth occurring March 30, 1835.

The township was named in honor of Edward s. Mundy, who was lieutenant-governor of Michigan when the township was organized, March 11, 1837. 

 

On April 3, the first township meeting was held at the house of Josiah Alger, when eighteen votes were cast, of which only three were from the west half of the township. The following officers were chosen:

Supervisor

John Alger

Town Clerk

Morgan Baldwin

Assessors

Jonathan G. Firman, Morgan Baldwin, Benjamin Simmons and Seth Kitchen

Collector

George Judson

Commissioners of Highways

J. G. Firman, George Judson and Jeshurum Leach

School Inspectors

Jonathan Firman, Ira Dunning and Dudley Brainard

Justices of the Peace

one year Benjamin Simmons
two years Josiah Alger
three years Morgan Baldwin 
four years Henry M. Thompson 

Constables

George Judson and Volney Stiles

 

The condition of settlement in 1840 is reflected in the vote at the general November election, whose interest was sufficient to being out the total voting strength of the township. Eight-nine votes were cast.

The first school district organized in the township was in the Baldwin neighborhood, in the spring of 1837. A school was taught the summer following by Miss Mary Gazley in a log school house which stood on the corner of the farm later owned by LaFayette Odell. Mrs. Conant kept school temporarily in her own house in the summer of 1836 before the school house was built. The first winter term was taught by a Scotchman named McClergan, or McClagan. DeWitt C. Leach taught a number of terms afterwards.

In 1837 the Methodists formed a class at or near the Odell school house, but it is was not of long duration there. A Presbyterian society was formed in 1844. The first services were held by Rev. P. H. Burghardt. This church was for many years a mission, receiving aid from the Home Missionary Service. In 1845 a Baptist society was organized near Mundy Center.

 

History of Genesee County, Michigan, Her People, Industries and Institutions
by Edwin O. Wood, LL.D, President Michigan Historical Commission, 1916

Transcribed by Holice B. Young

HTML by Deb

You are the 3526th Visitor to this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since June 1, 2002.

2002

[Index][MI AHGP][MI ALHN][AHGP]