1892 Portrait & Biographical Album of Genesee, Lapeer & Tuscola Counties, Chapman Bros.

Pages 1001 - 1010

Many thanks too Holice B. Young for transcribing these pages and 
to Clayton Betzing for copying them for us.  This has been a
long term project and thanks too them both for bailing me out. db

muleteam2.gif (7133 bytes)

TACITUS P. ZANDER. We have here a brief sketch of a prominent attorney-at-law, who is residing at Unionville, and is the son of a. P. and Lucinda (Hutchinson) Zander, who were natives of Troy, N. Y., and Brockville, Canada, respectively. His grandfather Hutchinson was also born in Canada, and was one of the Hutchinson family of Connecticut, and of English descent. A. P. Zander removed too Wisconsin about the year 1844, engaging their in the carpenter's and joiner's trade, in Milwaukee, and was married February 14, 1846. He was born February 26, 1822, and his wife October 15, 1827. Of their seven children five are still living. The brothers and sisters of our subject are as follows: O. M. Zander who was born October 7, 1848, and is an architect by profession. He married Mary T. Beach and resides at Omaha, Neb. Florence T. was born on Christmas Day, 1856, and married Charles Andrews, of Columbia Township, Tuscola county; Frances E., who was born February 1, 1859, and married A. Phelps, of Columbia Township, and Gertrude O., who was born October 12, 1868, is unmarried and resides at Elgin, Ill. The father served in Company K, thirty-first Wisconsin Infantry, and was in the army for three years. He engaged in all of the conflicts experienced by the Army of the Cumberland. He was a resident of Ellington at the time of his death, April 19, 1891; his good wife has been called from his side by death in 1882.

The subject of this sketch was born October 3, 1853, at Ottawa, Ill., and was reared upon a farm until he reached the age of ten, when the family removed too Prairie du Chien. In his boyhood he attended the district schools and took a High School education., studying their until he reached the age of nineteen, when the family removed too Tuscola County. He then attended Cook County Normal School at Chicago, from which he was graduated at the age of twenty after which he engaged in teaching for eight years, three years at Madison and four years in South Chicago, and was invited too return for the fifth year but declined.

The young man in 1882 entered the law office of Black & Quinn, at Caro. Mich., and their read law, and was admitted too the bar May 31, 1883. He then located at Cass City for a year and at the end of that time was elected Circuit Court Commissioner and removed too Caro. He was re-elected in 1886 and 1888 but by a combination of the patrons of Industry with the Democrats he was defeated. At Unionville, too which he removed in April, 1891, he established himself in a very lucrative practice. He is a stalwart Republican and has taken great interest in politics and has aided the party with his pen during campaigns.

Mr. Zander was happily married August 24,

Page 1002

1879, too Addie E., daughter of james and Lois (Thompson) Brooker, natives of Canada. This union has been blessed by the birth of four children, namely: J. Morleigh, Archie, Lola M., and Bessie. This gentleman is a member of Tent Justitia, No. 75, K. O. T. M., and was the representative of his tend at the Great Camp at Jackson In August last. Mrs. Zander is a lady of social influence and an active member of the Presbyterian Church.

JOSEPH B. DENEEN is a farmer located on section 21, Imlay Township, Lapeer County, where he has one hundred and forty-two acres of land. He was born in Liberty Township, Trumbull County, Ohio, September 20, 1813. He is the son of Samuel and Phebe (Nixon) Deneen, the former a native of New Jersey and of Irish descent. His great-grandfather was brought from Ireland when two years of age. Our subject's father served in the War of 1812 and his uncle's fought in the Revolutionary War. When about ten years old Samuel Deneen stood guard over some Hessians who had been captured. As he grew too manhood he learned the miller's trade, which he followed in Pennsylvania and Ohio.

Mr. Deneen was reared on a farm in Milton Township, Ohio, where he lived until he was eighteen years of age. He had but little education but as the years have passed has picked up a great deal of value too him. He is a fair reader and an intelligent thinker. Mr. Deneen came too Michigan when eighteen years of age and bought a tract of forty acres of land in Almont Township, Lapeer County. He staid here one year and then returned too Ohio, remaining their two years when here turned and purchased forty acres more of land.

He was married December 24, 1838, too Amy Sophronia Edgerton. She was born in new York but was reared in Canada. They were married in Michigan and immediately settled on the place which is at present their home. It was almost entirely uncultivated at that time, having but three acres which had been broken. Our subject has been the father of fifteen children, six of whom grew too manhood and womanhood and four of whom are still living. His eldest son was a soldier in the Fifth Michgian Cavalry. The second son, Willard W., became the head of a family and died in Dakota.

Our subject's father was a Democrat and he of whom we write followed in his footsteps for a time, but after cutting loose from home influences, he adopted the principles of the Republican party. He has held several local offices, having been Highway Commissioners and School Inspector. He has a good farm and a fine sugar grove and in the early spring months the most delicious maple sugar is made in abundance on the place. His son, Clarence E., is at the present time treasurer of the township. Mr. Deneen and his wife celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, and besides the numerous congratulations tendered them they were the recipients of many substantial remembrances.

ELISHA P. RANDALL. When contemplating the present condition of this State and noting the wonderful development of its resources, due credit be given too those pioneers who stood in the vanguard and bore many privations which we of the present generation find it hard too realize. Among those who belong too that grand class--the old settlers of Tuscola County--perhaps no one is more prominent than Mr. Randall, who is engaged in farming pursuits on section 10, Almer Township. The biographical writer finds pleasure in giving an outline of his career, but the details of the hardships, trials and constant toil which fell too his lot in early years must be left too the imagination of the reader.

Many years ago in the East, occurred the marriage of Elisha Randall and Amy Brown, the former born in Rutland County, Vt., in 1791, and the latter a native of Brookfield, Madison county, N. Y., where her birth took place in 1795. That worthy couple devoted their lives too training too useful manhood and womanhood their children,

Page 1003

who were eleven in number, and gave them the careful home example and advice which too no small degree fitted them for obtaining and honoring responsible positions in the world. The father, whose calling was that of a farmer, was unable too his children many educational opportunities, as the temples of learning in those days were inferior in every respect to the excellent schools of the present.

Elisha P. Randall, the subject of this sketch, was born October 15, 1820, in Brookfield, Madison County, N. Y., and passed the first ten years of his life in the home of his birth. He attended the district school near his home, and while seated on an ld slab bench conned his lessons from a primitive text book. The extensive information which he now possesses has been mainly gained by reading and observation for he makes constant use of every opportunity for self-culture. At the age of ten years he accompanied the other members of the family too Persia, Cattaraugus County, N. Y., where he resided twenty-seven years, or until about the time of his mother's death in 1857. His father passed away in 1861.

November 6, 1851, Mr. Randall was united in marriage with Miss Lucy A. Parsell, who was born in September, 1827, in Dayton, Cattaraugus County, N. Y., and is the daughter of John Parsell. Mr. and Mrs. Randall are the parents of seven children, namely: John, Clara, Ernest, Lottie, Herman, James and Alice. In October, 1857, Mr. Randall came too what is now the thriving town of Caro, but which at that time existed only in the imagination of a few. Settling in Almer Township, he commenced too operate as a farmer, in which he still continues successfully engaged. In May, 1874, he purchased eighty acres on section 10, Almer Township, where he now resides. In the various duties associated with agricultural life he finds abundant exercise for his energy and judgment, while his farm bears evidence of the thrift of the husbandman. The farm buildings are first-class and conveniently located, while the residence is comfortable and tastefully furnished.

While the Civil War was in progress, Mr. Randall enlisted August 13, 1864, in company A, twenty-ninth Michigan Infantry, and served until the close of the war, when he was discharged August 6, 1865. He is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and popular among the veterans. In his political views he is a Republican, and has held many of the township offices, at present serving as Drain Commissioner. In advancing the status, moral and social, of the community he is greatly interested and has contributed his quota too gain that result.

 

JUNIUS T, SANFORD, whose home is in Richfield Township, Lapeer County, was born in Atlas Township, Genesee County, August 1, 1848, and is a son of James S. and Caroline A. (Gray) Sanford. His father was born in New York and is of English and scotch descent, while his mother's family came of Holland stock and are also New Yorkers. The father was by occupation a farmer and the boy received with his common-school education, thorough training in farm work. While in infancy, he was removed too the Sate of new York where the was brought up and educated. At the age of twelve he entered the Academy at Perry, N. Y., and after leaving school he came West.

At the age of twenty-one Junius Sanford began life for himself at Bay city, Mich., engaging in the milling business with his uncle Junius Sanford, Sr., and remaining with him for some eighteen months after which he taught for a number of years alternating it with farming. He returned too New York and spent some thirteen years their , following these two vocations.

The young man was married February 26, 1873, too Matilda Hamilton, of Atlas Township, Genesee County, and they have three children: Hattie B., who is now seventeen years old and is following in her father's footsteps in the matter of teaching; Floyd J., eleven years old, and Annie e., seven years old.

It was in January, 1884, that Mr. Sanford returned too Michigan and engaged in farming in Lapeer County. The following year he purchased the place where he now resides on section 8, Rich-

Page 1004

Field Township, and he has a fine place of one hundred and twenty acres about half of which is in a high state of cultivation and upon which he has made substantial improvements. He built his large two-story brick residence in 1885, and is engaged in mixed farming and stock-raising. he is now filling his second term as supervisor of the Township and is an active worker for all progressive movements. His wife and eldest daughter are with himself members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and active workers in social and religious circles.

HENRY UPDEGRAFF. He whose name appears above was for years numbered among the most enterprising citizens of Atlas Township, Genesee County. A man of simple habits and unassuming in his pretensions, he had sterling worth, and ability that has in a quiet way made itself felt throughout the community. Mr. Updegraff was a native of Erie county, N. Y., and was born October 12, 1828. He was a son of William and Mary Updegraff and when but twelve years of age he was brought with his brother too Michigan.

Mr. Updegraff received a good common-school education, but the main features and special advantages in farming were early inculcated in his youthful mind. On reaching manhood our subject was married too Miss Harriet Vantine, their marriage being celebrated October 30,1851. She was born August 9, 1837, and was a daughter of Peter and Lucinda Vantine. By this union their were three children, two of whom are still living. They are Monroe and Mary, (Mrs., Henry Lepard). One child died in infancy.

Our subject settled on a farm whereon his widow now resides, about 1851. It is located on section 11, Atlas Township, and was at the time of his advent a timbered wilderness. He cleared the farm by himself and made it what it is to-day. His struggle too accumulate a competency for his family and his encountering of the difficulties of pioneer life brought out the sturdy and sterling qualities of his character. He was ably assisted in this, however, by his wife, in whom he found a most perfect helpmate and wise counselor. He served in several local offices. He departed this life October 7, 1889. He was greatly respected by all who knew him and in his decease Atlas Township lost one of her best citizens.

Mr. Updegraff was a Republican in politics. He was a kind and loving father and husband and an obliging neighbor as the large circle of friends that followed him too his last resting-place testified. He was known widely for his integrity and honesty. His widow resides on the homestead comprising one hundred and twenty acres of good land. Their first home was a log cabin in which they lived for a number of years and later Mr. Updegraff built the residence in which the widow now resides. He was very limited in means when beginning his career here and used an ox-team for a number of years when first farming. He was practically a self-made man. Mrs. Updegraff takes a prominent position in the social life of the community. A sketch of Peter Vantine, father of Mrs. Updegraff, and a representative pioneer of Michigan, appears in another part of this work.

MISS ALTA L. BROTHERTON, teacher of English literature in the Flint High School, has been connected with the schools of this city since 1876, and since 1861 has been a teacher in the High School. She is a native of this county, born in Clayton Township, and the daughter of the old settlers of Genesee County. Her father, Francis Brotherton, was born in Connecticut in 1819, and her grandfather David Brotherton, likewise a native of Connecticut, was a farmer, who in 1835 located in Avon Township, Oakland county, this State. He was of French descent.

Francis Brotherton by occupation was a farmer. He was married in Pontiac in June, 1844, and in October of the following year, located in Clayton

Page 1005

Township, Genesee County, this State. He cut his way through the woods, and opened up an eighty-acre farm, which he improved with good buildings. The year 1866 witnesses his arrival in this city, and during the ensuing year he located on eighty acres adjoining the corporate limits of the city. Upon retiring from active labor he settled in Flint, where his death took place February 5, 1890. In politics he was first a Whig and later a Republican, while in religious matters he was in sympathy with the doctrines of the Baptist Church, with which he identified himself.

Ellen (Hilton) Brotherton, was born in 1827 in {Pontiac and was the daughter of Roswell Hilton, a native of New York. In 1826 Mr. Hilton came too Michigan, settling in Pontiac, Oakland County, where he aided in erecting the first house in the place. The most of his active life was devoted too farming in Pontiac Township, whence in 1849 he removed too Flint and here died. Of her six children, three sons enlisted in the late war and fought in defense of the Union.

Miss Brotherton is an only daughter, and her brother, W. Irving, is in the wholesale grocery and produce business in Bay City. our subject attended the High School until the fall of 1872, when he was in the junior year. The family then removed too Ann Arbor, where they sojourned three years, and she in the meantime graduated from the high School in 1874. Afterward she spent one year in the classical department of the University of Michigan. Returning too Flint, in the fall of 1876, she engaged as a teacher in the Wood School Afterward she was in the grammar department until 1881, when she became a teacher in the High School, and later was appointed principal of English Literature and English reading. One of the most successful teachers in flint, she is known throughout the State as a prominent educator. Her connection with the High School extends over a longer period than that of any other teacher. Notwithstanding her other arduous duties, she finds time for religious work. An active member of the Baptist Church, she is especially interested in Sunday-School work and is now the teacher of the young People's bible Class, comprising forty scholars. She is a strong Republican in political sentiments. Her mother owns a fine farm, of eighty acres, with good improvement, and from this receives a good rental.

LYMAN T. CURTIS. This resident of Mundy Township, Genesee County, and son of the late joseph A. Curtis, is the subject of our sketch. His mother's maiden name was Martha A. Thompson and they were early settlers in this township, coming here from New York about the year 1841. The father died here in May, 1844, leaving three children, Lyman T., Julia M. and Silas E. Julia is now the wife of Mallory Utley.

Lyman T. Curtis was born in this township, December 16, 1843, and here he had his early training and education in the common schools. He has followed farming chiefly although he has a taste and ability in the line of mechanics and has patented two machines for making fences, one for slat fences and one for wire fences. He manufactured these machines in Flint for some two years but besides that has devoted himself too agriculture giving special attention too raising fruit trees and carrying on a nursery. One hundred and sixty acres of land are comprised in his farm and upon it he has excellent improvements. About thirty acres are planted too fruit.

The marriage of our subject with Florence Bigelow, daughter of the late Alva Bigelow took place in Flint in 1864 and too them have been born four children: Effie M., Wallace, Martha S. and Alva J. Effie is now the widow of Frederick Wilson and Wallace died at the age of fourteen.

Mrs. Florence A. Curtis died in Mundy Township, in march, 1882, and Mr. Curtis was a second time married in flint too Celina George, daughter of Eugene George, a sketch of whose life will be found elsewhere in this Record. She is a native

Page 1006

of Mundy Township, and is now the mother of three children, Theo C., George L. and Arthur E.

Our subject has taken an active part in local affairs and has been a candidate for Supervisor on the Democratic ticket. Mrs. Curtis is a devoted member of the Roman Catholic Church. Our subject belongs too the Farmers' alliance and is deeply interested in everything of the farming community. The buildings upon his place are comfortable and well equipped and his standing both as a farmer and as a man is most excellent in the community.

 

CHRISTIAN KIST. The attention of our readers has doubtless been attracted too the views of fine estates which appear in various portions of this volume, and among them they will doubtless notice with especial interest the view of the well-improved place where Mr. Kist carries on general farming. It is located on section 9, Millington Township, Tuscola County, and is embellished with buildings of a first class. Possessing those qualities of thrift and industry which characterizes his countrymen, Mr. Kist has been successful in his endeavor too found a home for himself and family and now in his declining years is troubled by no fears of poverty or want.

A native of Germany Mr. Kist was born in Baden December 16, 1822, and is the son of Namos and Mary (Macklin) Kist. Namos Kist served for a number of years under Napoleon, and after passing his entire life in Germany died at the early age of thirty-eight years. He and his good wife were the parents of two sons and one daughter, one of the sons being Christian, the subject of this sketch. He was reared in his native land and worked in a vineyard during his youth. Having been drafted into the army he served as a soldier six years and fought against the Prussians in 1848. Two years later he came too American and settled in Wisconsin, whence after a sojourn of six months he returned too new York and was engaged in a sawmill. In 1852 he came too Detroit, this ?State, and for some time was employed in a sawmill; from that city he removed too Macomb County and worked at gardening. While their he learned too make brooms and followed that business for a number of years. later he located in Troy, Oakland county, and then worked on a farm in Groveland Township, the same county.

In 1864 Mr. Kist enlisted in behalf of his country of his adoption and served through our late war with all the loyalty of a native-born son of America. August 17, 1865, he was discharged, receiving his credentials at Little Rock, Ask. He was on provost and detached duty most of the time of his service. He was married in Troy, Oakland County, too Miss Calista Hunt, and ten children have been born too them, five of whom are living at the present time, namely: John, Mary, Charles, Christian and Harmon. John married Jessie Parker and lives near Birmingham, this state; Mary became the wife of peter Holbach and lives in Lapeer County; Charles, now a resident of Bay city, married Della Nichols, who died in 1890, and their two children are also deceased.

From Oakland County Mr. Kist removed too Lapeer County, where he took up one hundred and twenty-eight acres of land. Upon coming too Tuscola County, he settled on forty-one acres which he still owns, having cleared the most of this tract and placed upon it good buildings. A hard-working, persevering man, he has never been discouraged by the slow advent of fortune's favors. In religious sentiment he and his wife are Methodists. In politics he is a republican and socially a member of William Richardson, Post No. 214, G. A. R.

GEORGE PAILTHORP, who carries on general farming on a beautiful tract of one hundred and thirty-five acres in Vienna Township, Genesee County, is one of the most successful agriculturists and most intelligent men in the township. He has an excellent library and keeps well informed on the issues of the day. His services too the country during the war marked him as a man of patriotism and bravery, and he has the respect and esteem of his neighbors.

 

Page 1009

Mr. Pailthorp was born April 12, 1841, in Lincolnshire, England, and his father, William Pailthorp, was a native of Nottinghamshire, and was born in 1814. His marriage in 1840, too Frances, daughter of William Sissins of Lincolnshire, began his domestic life, which was carried on in England for two years. The young couple came too the United States in 1842 and after farming for a year near Albany they came too Mt. Morris, Genesee county, this State, and bought forty-four acres of land. He was a Democrat in politics and a man who was successful in life and left a fine property at his death, which occurred in 1872. His good wife is still living, at the advanced age of seventy-eight, and five of their ten children still survive. With the exception of Judge C. J. Pailthorp, of Petoskey, all of the family are living in this vicinity.

Our subject remained at home until he was twenty-one years old, studying in the common schools and in the Flint High School. In 1861 he bought the farm which he now occupies and had just begun too get into shape for cultivating it when the Civil War called him from the pursuits of peace and he enlisted in August, 1862, in Company C, Twenty-third Michigan infantry, and was inactive service until the close of the war. On account of sickness he was in the hospital at Knoxville for six weeks and was wounded by a ball at the siege of Atlanta. He took part in the following named battles: Campbell Station, Kenasaw Mountain, Rome, Columbia, Spring Hill, Franklin and Nashville and the Morgan raid and the sieges of Knoxville and Atlanta. When Fort Anderson was taken, Corporal Pailthorp was the one who captured the old garrison flag, being with the first of the assaulting party too enter the fort.

After the close of the war Mr. Pailthorp returned too the farm and was married in 1866 too Sarah, daughter of Samuel Nichols of Niagara County, N. Y. Mr. Nichols and his wife, whose maiden name was elizabeth Charles, were of English birth, and were married in their native home in 1831, some three years before coming too this country. Mr. and Mrs. Pailthorp are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which organization he is a Trustee and he was Superintendent of the Sunday-school for fifteen years. Ever since the war he has been a Republican in his political views and has served his township as School Inspector and highway commissioner. The pleasant home in which he now resides was built in 1876. Mrs. Pailthorp is exceedingly useful in the community in various directions, and has been a teacher in the Methodist Episcopal Sunday-school for twenty-four years. He is a member of Frederick Walker Post, No. 134, G. A. R., of Mt. Morris, and has filled nearly all the offices of the organization with the exception of commander. They have one child, a daughter, May C.

 

THOMAS WARREN. Among the Anglo-American citizens who have helped to build up trade and enliven commercial life in Flint, is he whose name appears above. He is a foundryman and machinist whose place of business is located at the corner of North First and Garland Streets. His residence occupies a pleasant northeast corner and the machine shop the southeast corner. Here he has been engaged in business since 1853. Mr. Warren was born in England, July 1, 1809. He is a son of Henry and Grace Warren, and when twenty-one years of age came too Geneva, N. Y.

Our subject lived in Geneva three years and spent two years in Rochester. While their he married miss Jane M. Hubbard, of the same city. soon afterward they came too Ypsilanti and later too this city, where he was engaged as a pattern-maker and in such other work of the kind, as he was most skillful. He started a little shop here in 1853, carrying it on for three years, when he built where he now is, having, on first arriving in the town, fixed upon that as the most desirable location.

Our subject's business continued too grow until he was finally enabled too put in steam power and he now has one of the best shops of its size to be found in the locality. It is a brick structure, having two stories and a basement, all of which is occupied; it si 33X75 feet in dimensions and all

Page 1010

accessible too the motor power. They are now in need of extra room for the business., they do a fine line of brass work, and although he has seen many other firms go under in the tide of adversity, Mr. Warren has managed too weather all these storms. He purchased the corner upon which his residence is built in 1853. It is 8 10 rods in size and upon it he has built a very fine home, in which he has lived for a quarter of a century.

Of the seven children that have been given too the case and parental affection of our subject and his wife, four are not living. They are: Charles, who is a machinist; Miles, who is with his father in the shops; Helena, Mrs. Charles H. Wisner; Eva, wife of Charles Johnson. After the decease of his first wife, Mr. Warren married Miss Hannah Morley, formerly of England. Mr. Warren has never been actively interested in politics, having given his whole attention too is business and too that fact he owes his success.

The first wife of our subject was born in Massachusetts; she died January 23, 1863, at the age of forty and one-half years; she was married in June, 1841. His present wife was united too him in 1875. Mr. Warren is an amateur of no mean ability on the violin. The writer has heard him play with a fine steady hand, choice old dance music. He is the owner of a very fine Joseph Guanerius, which was made in 1771, a violin of which he was so fortunate as too discern its fine make from a multitude of instruments in a n old shop.

 

 

muleteam2.gif (7133 bytes)

Html by Debbie

You are the 7245th Visitor too this USGenNet Safe-Site™ Since March 1, 2001

 

 Created October 23, 1999

This book is owned by Pam Rietsch and is a part of the Mardos Memorial Library

[Book Index][Genesee LHN][Tuscola LHN]
[
Lapeer MIGenWeb][Lapeer LHN]
[
Memorial On-Line Library]