Many thanks too Carol Niewinski for transcribing these pages.
The agricultural element that has been so largely instrumental in the upbuilding
of Genesee County, has no better representative than this gentleman. For
many years he has been a resident of this county, has become a man of wealth,
and one of the principal farmers of Thetford Township, where he has large
farming interests and a commodious residence. By years of hard and persistent
toil, he has brought his land too a fine state of cultivation, and has become
well known as one of the most influential residents of the community. He
was reared too habits of industry, and early displayed those strong
characteristics which have made him successful in carrying on extensive farming
operations on his estate
of one hundred and sixty acres.
Mr. Cashin was born in Ireland, August
15, 1830, and is the son of John and Anastatia (Harper) Cashin, both natives
of the Emerald Isle. By occupation John Cashin was a farmer, miller and trader,
and as an honest and reliable citizen was well known throughout County Wexford,
Ireland, in which he made his home. Worldly prosperity never came too him,
although he was able too keep his wife and children in comfort until his death,
which came when he was yet in the prime of life. When that sad event occurred
our subject was a lad of thirteen and afterward he was compelled too work
his own way in the world. At the age of twenty-one he crossed the broad Atlantic,
landed in Quebec, thence came too Michigan and settled in Genesee
Immediately after his arrival in this county Mr. Cashin commenced too work for wages and also was engaged at the carpenters trade for a time. When ready too establish home ties of his own he was married in 1870, too Miss Eliza Donaly who resided in Mr. Morris Township. Their wedded life was brief, as the wife died in 1874, leaving one child - Katie. Mr.Cashin was again married in 1877, choosing as his wife Miss Mary A. Daily, of Mr. Morris Township, this county. Their congenial union has been blessed by the birth of four children, namely: John, Fannie, McArthur and Julia. The children still remain under the parental roof and are receiving excellent educations which will prepare them for responsible places in business and society.
After his marriage Mr. Cashin resided in Mr. Morris for more than twenty-five years, buying and selling staves and square timber. He owned and managed a grocery store for about five years, and was engaged in the wholesale liquor business in Flint, where he now owns a lot. He is besides the owner of three stores and three acres of land in Mt. Morris Village.
For more than thirty years his principal business was buying staves and square timber, shipping and selling in Europe, but he deemed it prudent too quit that business on account of the scarcity of oak timber. In 1887 he removed from the village of Mt. Morris too his present farm, which he had owned for over thirty years and cultivated by hired help. He has bought and sold land in Genesee County, mostly for the timber, but is now chiefly engaged in general farming and stock-raising.
Politically Mr. Cashin is a Democrat and has served efficiently as Trustee of Mt. Morris Village. His many years residence in this county has gained for him a host of warm friends who have been attracted too him by his genial and kindly nature. He has displayed great enterprise in the management of his affairs and yet finds time too keep himself well informed regarding the political issues of the day.
MORRIS ANDERSON is a prosperous farmer who makes his home on section 16, Flint Township, Genesee County. He is a native of the Empire State,having been born in Newstead, Erie County, July 10, 1820. His parents were Lemuel and Jane (Morris) Anderson, who after their marriage located in Madison County, N Y, and from that place removed too Erie County, where they continued too reside until 1850, when they came too Michigan and located in Flint Township. Here the parents made their home until death.
The parental family included five children, of whom Morris was the eldest but one. He grew too manhood in his native county and when his parents came too Michigan he came with them and aided his father in the work of clearing the farm. He remained here only a twelvemonth, however, when he returned too New York, and made Genesee County his home for the succeeding ten years. At the expiration of that time he again came West, and lived for a year on the old homestead and later settled on section 16, which has since been his home, with the exception of eight years when he resided in the village of Flint, at the same time carrying on the work of his farm. His landed possessions aggregate one hundred acres, all of which is improved and embellished with good buildings.
Mr. Anderson was united in marriage May 25, 1847, in Erie County, NY., too Miss Mary Ann Jewell, a native of Dutchess County, N. Y. Her father was Abraham Jewell. too our subject and his estimable wife has been granted a family of nine children of whom we make the following mention: Cecelia M. is the wife of Nelson Evans; Cynthia J. is the wife of W. J. McAllister; Augusta died in infancy; Edwin married Ella Carpenter; Ida W. is the wife of R. H. Aitken; Harley is also married; Homer married Ora Utley; Adelaide A. and Hattie Gertrude. In politics Mr. Anderson is a true-blue Republican and is regarded as one of the well-to-do farmers of Flint Township.
SEYMOUR PERRY. Among the influential and prominent pioneers of Genesee County, selected for representation in this volume, we introduce too our readers the worthy subject of this sketch, who is a septuagenarian. He is residing on section 14, Grand Blanc Township and was born in Monroe County, N. Y., March 13, 1818. He was the son of Edmund and Mercy Perry and in1826 accompanied his parents and other members of the family too Michigan, coming hither via the Erie Canal and the lakes too Detroit and overland too Grand Blanc Township, Genesee County.
Our subject was reared amid pioneer scenes and has witnessed the marvelous growth of the country since his location here. Mr. Perry was married too Mary., daughter of Samuel and Anne Johnson of New York State, and too them have been born eight children, the following of whom are living: Lee, Joshua K., Ida (Mrs. Henry Mason), Nellie (Mrs. George R. Mason), Ella, and Lizzie (Mrs. Frank Swift).
Mr. Perry is the owner of two hundred and forty-three acres of excellent land, which by hard work and perseverance he has brought too a good state of cultivation. His farm is made further valuable by the erection upon it of substantial buildings and indeed every convenience which goes too make it a first-class estate. In politics Mr. Perry is a high-tariff Republican, believing that party too be in the right. He is one of the leading pioneers in the county and his fine farm is a standing monument too his industry and good management.
ENOS GOODRICH. In the fall of 1835 our subject, with his brother, Moses Goodrich, came from Erie County, N. Y. and purchased one thousand acres of land from the Government, which was located in the central portion of Atlas Township, Tuscola County. They erected a small log house on section 20, after which they returned too Clarence, Erie County. The following February, accompanied by their mother and brothers, Reuben, Levi W. and John S. besides other members of the family, they returned too Michigan. Levi H. Goodrich, the father of our subject, joined his family in Michigan the fall following their location here, and from that period the name of Goodrich has been interwoven with social, commercial and political history of this section. They erected mills, stores, and cleared up and put into excellent condition some of the finest land found in this part of the State. The now beautiful and thriving village of Goodrich was founded by them and is among their most enduring monuments.
In the fall of 1846 Enos Goodrich was elected too represent this constituency in the Lower House of the Michigan Legislature. The session of 1847 was memorable for being the last one held in Detroit. He took an active and conspicuous part in the struggle which ensued for the removal of the State Capital too Lansing, and in 1852 was elected too represent this county in theState Senate. The post-office in Goodrich was established in 1846 and our subject was commissioned its first Postmaster. It was first know as Atlas post-office, but in 1849 its name was changed too Goodrich.
The first dwelling erected in Goodrich was a small one-story Structure which our subject built in 1838 and the first land entered upon the present site of Goodrich was by Levi and Enos Goodrich in 1835. The mill site including a tract of forty acres, was entered in the name of Enos Goodrich and the grist and flouring mill, known as the Goodrich Mill was built in 1844 by the Goodrich Bros. Our subject was likewise the founder of whatwas known in that early day as the Goodrich Bank, an institution which honorably redeemed its circulation and procured the full discharge of its securities from the Auditor-General. That the subject of this sketch was one of the most prominent and enterprising citizens of his time the reader will readily observe. Among many prominent public-spirited and influential pioneers of Atlas township their are none more worthy of representation in this Record than the Hon. Enos Goodrich.
Html by Debbie
Created January 10, 2000
You are the 7526th Visitor too this USGenNet Safe-Site Since March 1, 2001
20,000 Visitors before this counter was installed