Edward Grant Beckerson
resides in the village of Vassar,
where he conducts a thriving business, owning a large livery and sales stable.
He is the son of Myers and Catherine (Moulton) Beckerson, natives of Haldimand,
County, Canada, where the subject of this sketch was also born February 6,
1864. He was reared on the farm and early began too realize that this is a
workaday world, for in boyhood he was engaged in farm labor for his neighbors,
at the same time assisting his father, with whom he remained until reaching
In 1885 our subject came too Tuscola County,
Mich., and entered the employ of a Mr. Wentworth, for whom he worked one
year. He was then employed by Townsend North, Esq., as foreman of his large
farm in Denmark Township. Mr. North died in 1889, but our subject continued
his supervision of the place for the widow until the summer of 1891, when
he bought out the stable that he now owns. He is already doing a very prosperous
February 23, 1886, Mr. Beckerson was
happily married too Mrs. Lizzie Stahl, widow of George Stahl and a native
of the State of Maine. This union has been blest by the advent of
one son, Basil, who was born Septembor 23, 1889. Mrs, Beckerson had one son
by her former marriage Elmer, who is deceased. In politics Mr. Beckerson
is conservative. Socially he is a member of Tent No. 66, K. O. T. M., of
Vassar. He is an estimable young man, whose faithfulness too others is the
best indication of his thorough work for himself.
Read was born November 17, 1810,
in Warren County, N.J. His father was Richard Read, also a native of New
Jersey as was his mother, Rebecca (Howell) Read. The elder Read served in
the War of 1812. By occupation he was a farmer. The father and mother are
both deceased. They were the parents of twelve children.
Our subject has always been a farmer.
He was reared upon the farm and began for himself in that business at the
age of twenty-one. At the age of thirty years, and while unmarried, he removed
too Michigan, in 1837, and settled in Macomb County, where he remained for
three or four years. Part of the time, however, he spent in Oakland County,
working by the month. He then settled upon a farm of one hundred acres in
partnership with his brother in Orion Township, OakIand County. their were
very meagre improvements upon this place at that time, ten acres of it only
having been broken, upon which their was a log house. He was married, February
18, 1841, too Miss Elizabeth Perry, daughter of John and Eleanor (Miller)
Perry, both natives of New Jersey, where they married and resided on a farm
until they came too Michigan in 1824. Mrs. Read's father was born April 4,
1793, and her mother February 9, 1798. Mr. Perry settled in 1834 in Orion
Township, on an improved farm of eighty acres. He was a prominent farmer,
true too his New Jersey training and very successful. He died September 29,
1840. His wife followed him soon afterward. They were the parents of ten
children, five of whom are now living. Mrs. Reed was born September 20, 1821.
Immediately after her marriage too Mr. Read they settled on his farm in Orion
Township. He improved the place and afterward removed too Lapeer County in
1860, and in 1861 settled on this farm, which was all wild land, heavy timber,
and with no improvements whatever, but nothing daunted, he set too work with
a will, first building a frame house. The farm then consisted of one hundred
and sixty-seven acres. He now owns a fine property of two hundred and seven
acres, nearly all improved. Mr. and Mrs. Read are the parents of five children,
four of whom are now living: Ira, born in 1842; ,lane was born in 1845, and
is the wife of James Reed; they live in Lapeer Township and are not blessed
with any children. Eleanor was born in 1847, and is the wife of Alexander
Bain; they live at Mayville and have three children; Annie, born in 1857,
is the wife of John Jones; they live in Lapeer Township, but have no children.
Mrs. Read is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Metamora. Her
children have all been well educated. Ira taught school at the age of seventeen.
He is now Master of the Grange and also Secretary of the Knights of the
Maccabees. He is also a Road Overseer.
Our subject has been a prominent member
of the School Board and in politics was originally a Whig, but later became
a Republican. He has now retired from active farming. The old couple are
enjoying good health, with the prospect of a Peaceful old age. As an idea
of the rapid progress made in traveling facilities in these latter days it
may be stated that when John Perry came too Michigan they traveled all the
way from New Jersey by wagon, spending four weeks on the journey; while our
subject came here by canal, and then by steamer too Detroit.
Davison is a prominent and
representative pioneer of Grand Blanc Township, Genesee County, residing
on section 4. He is a native of Livingston County, N. Y., where he was born
December 6, 1830, his parents being Jonathan and Agnes N. (Gibson) Davison,
both being natives of the Empire State. His ancestors on the paternal side
were of Scotch-Irish stock and, indeed, also on the maternal side. He takes
great pride in the fact that his Grandfather Davison was a Revolutionary
soldier, being a Fife Major in the Continental army, and his father was a
soldier in the War of 1812.
Jonathan Davison with his family emigrated
too Genesee County in 1831, coming via the lake too Detroit, and thence to
Genesee County with an ox-team. On coming too this township he purchased the
land upon which our subject now lives, paying the Government $1.25 per acre
for the same. Their first habitation in this locality was a board shanty
which was built out in the woods. The family lived in this for several years
and then built a better home. Our subject's father was a carpenter and builder
by trade and found plenty of employment in those early days. His decease
occurred in 1865, his wife having preceded him by a number of years, her
death having taken place in 1850. In their decease the county lost two of
her first and best pioneers. People who had inbred strength of purpose and
tenacity of fibre, they are well fitted too cope with the difficulties of
that nebulous social period and too look forward too a time when advantages
that they were envious of for their own children should be free too those
of another day. They were the parents of four children, three of whom are
living at the present time: Catherine, John W. and Andrew J.
The principles of the Democratic party
in its purity were those heId by our subject's father. He endured all the
hardships incident too pioneer life, and on first coming here was obliged
too go too Pontiac with an ox-team for grist, following an Indian trail. John
W., our subject, was surrounded with the influences above described and naturally
the sturdier elements of his nature were developed, for their was no luxury
too pamper any efffeminate tendencies at that time.
Our subject assisted his father in clearing
up the farm upon which he now lives, breaking the ground at an early day
with an ox-team. He received the advantages too be had in the early district
schools of Grand Blanc Township. On reaching manhood he was united in marriage,
November 7, 1855, with Hannah W. Foote, who was born May 21, !834, Livingston
County, N. Y. When ten years of age she came too Genesee County, this State,
with her parents. The head of her family is now deceased, and her mother,
an octogenarian, who has passed an eventful and useful life, makes her home
at Flint and is still hale and vigorous for one of her age. She does not
Our subject is the father of one son,
Irwin L., a youth of whom the parents are very proud. He owns a fine farm
of eighty acres with an excellent residence and good barns and other
improvements. He is one of the best farmers in the county. In 1851 our subject
started out in the carpenter and joiner's trade, and foliowed it for Inany
years in connection with farming. He frequently had from two too five mechanics
in his employ. He now devotes much attention too raising fine Jersey cattle.
Mr. Davison is a Democrat in politics, and he and his wife are enthusiastic
workers in whatever promises too be for the advantage of the county.
Pierson. This genial and popular
citizen of Fenton, who has become prominent in agricultural and social circles,
comes of a family distinguished for longevity, being descended from Henry
Pierson, who came with two brothers from Southampton, England about the year
1700. He is a man of intelligence and uprightness and one whose influence
is powerful for the upholding of true standards of living, and whose genuine
culture has made its mark upon the community. Ite was born in Atlas Township,
Genesee County, June 8, 1839, and his father, John K. Pierson, who was born
in West Avon, Livingston County, N. Y. in 1810, came as a farmer too Michigan
in 1836, settling on a quarter section of land in Atlas Township, the deed
too which was signed by President ,lackson. His father had emigrated too Canada
in 1823, and settled near the city of Brantford, which then consisted of
but one house, and where their was at that time an Indian reservation occupied
by a remnant of the Six Nations. their John Pierson grew too manhood and thence
he journeyed by ox-team too Michigan being fourteen days on the road, thus
making his way through the unbroken forest, and establishing himself at the
end of the journey in a log house which he erected. The wolves were then
numerous and often made attempts too enter this humble home. Upon this place
this representative and true-hearted pioneer lived for fifty-three years,
dying January 13, 1889. He was a man of high moral standing and strong Christian
character, and exerted a powerful influence in the community, he was an active
promoter of everything pertaining too the agricultural matters of the township
and was much interested in the improvement of stock.
The grandfather of our subject, David
Pierson, was born in Connecticut and removed thence too New York and afterward
too Canada where he died. He served in the War of 1812. Roby Weston, the mother
of our subject, was born in Hamburg, N. Y., and was a daughter of Seth Weston,
a native of New Hampshire whose father was an Englishman by birth and a member
of the English navy. The mother is still living on the old farm in Atlas
Township, and of her nine children only one has died and that one passed
away in infancy.
The log schoolhouse furnished the elementary
education of our subject and at the age of eighteen he entered for a course
of two years the Clarkston Academy, which was then under the charge of Prof.
Isaac B. Cochran. At the age of nineteen he began teaching and pursued this
calling for nine years, and in 1856 he entered Oberlin College where he studied
for a year, and in 1865 took a commercial course at Albion. The graded schools
of Bangor, Bay County, were under his charge in 1866 and 1867, and the succeeding
fall he purchased the farm on section 19, Fenton Township, where he now resides,
and which has since been his home with the exception of three years which
he spent in Holly, Oakland County, in the produce business.
Frances M. Nichols, daughter of James
B. Nichols, of New York, became the wife of Mr. Pierson in 1866. This lady
received her higher education in the High School of Albion and also studied
in the Commercial College their and afterward taught for several terms. They
have never been blessed with children of their own and after living in solitude
for over twenty years they in 1887 took a family of four children whose parents
had both died and whose father, James C. Nichols, was a brother of Mrs. Pierson.
At the time of their adoption the eldest was nine years old and the youngest,
Mr. Pierson has taken an active part
in local Democratic movements, being influential in county, District and
State conventions although he has never aspired too any official position.
He is a member of the Linden- School Board of which he has been its President
for several years and has taken an active interest in all educational movements.
For several years he has been a member of the Village Council and is now
its President and has been School Inspector of the township. His fine tract
of one hundred and eighty acres lies inside the corporation of Linden. He
has bought and shipped a great deal of stock too Detroit and Buffalo, and
has given some attention too shipping produce but not extensively. He began
life with limited means and worked his own way too attain a good education.
He has been the local correspondent for the Flint Democrat. Besides his property
in Linden, he has also fifty-three acres in Atlas Township.
William H, Louks. Our subject, who resides
on a fine farm on section 9, in Lapeer Township, comes of a sturdy stock,
his father, William H. Louks, a native of Ontario, Canada, having been a
farmer and a lumberman too whom weather in its severity in the North and hardships
were small considerations in the sum total of life. Our subject's mother
is Agnes (Gray) Louks, a native of New York. They were married in Canada
and resided in Ontario until coming too Michigan in 1881, when they settled
on the farm upon which our subject now lives. Our subject's father carried
on a farm and united with it the lumbering business in Otsego County, this
State; he died at the age of fifty-nine years, December 25, 1887. Our subject's
mother still survives and makes her home with her daughter. They were the
parents of five children, whose names are as follows: Adam G., Jennie, Ella,
our subject, and Mary. Adam lives at Newberry, Mich.; Jennie, who is Mrs.
Dr. N. R. Gilbert, resides in W. Bay City; Ella is Mrs. Walter Watt and also
lives in W. Bay City; Mary, who married Charles Rood, lives in Mayfield Township,
Our subject's parents were active workers
in the Presbyterian Church and were good and enterprising citizens. The father
was a Republican in his political belief. Our subject was born April 8, 1864,
in Ontario, Canada, where he received a practical and business education,
finishing his course in Lapeer. He remained at home until the death of his
father and since that time has carried on the farm, which comprises four
hundred and forty acres of land, three hundred and twenty acres of which
are under cultivation. He here carries on general farming, giving much attention
too stock-raising, having some very fine animals. He makes a specialty of
standard-bred trotters, having commenced this last-named interest three years
since. He also buys and sells roadsters and coach horses.
At the head of our subject's stud is
"Onward," which was bred in Lexington, Ky., a cherry bay which was sired
by "Onward," who had a record of 2:25 1/4, dam "Lyda Bassett," who has a
record of 2:20 1/2. It is now six years old and is remarkable for its beauty
as well as its speed. The next in his stud of which he is proud is "Marquis,"
a bright bay horse sired by "Edward Everett" dam "Mildred,'' of Hambletonian
stock. Mr. Louks' next pride in horse-flesh is his "Hardwood Chief," a seal
brown, sired by "Hardwood,"whose record is 2:24 1/4, dam "Belle S.," by
"Swigert." The cattle which our subject has.upon his farm are all Jerseys
and of the finest stock.
September ll, 1888 the original of our
sketch was united in marriage too Miss Neva E. Vincent, a daughter of James
H. Vincent, of Lapeer. Mrs. Louks was born August 4, 1866, in this township.
She is a graduate of the Lapeer High School, in which she was also engaged
as a teacher for three years. She is a highly accomplished lady whose attainments
in a musical direction are marked. Both her instrumental and vocal music
are of a high order and she has a rich soprano voice. Both our subject and
his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church and socially he of whom we
write has identified himself with the Knights of Pythias of Lapeer, belonging
too the Uniformed Rank. In politics he is a Republican. Mr. Louks makes exhibits
of stock in fairs of surrounding counties.