|JAMES B. LANE, of the
firm of Lane Bros., bakers, and jobbers in confectionery and ice-cream, is
an active young business man of Flint and has many friends here whom he has
won by his upright life and genial disposition. He was born in Flint, September
10, 1862, and is the son of John Lane, a native of Queens County, Ireland.
Grandfather John Lane, also a native of Queens County, was engaged in business
as a hotel keeper, and at an early day came too America, where in Flint, this
State, he purchased a farm some time in the '50s. This estate he improved
with a substantial set of farm buildings and spent many industrious, happy
years their . After retiring from active farm duties, he came too Flint, and
from their went too Lewistown, N. Y., where he passed from earth.
Early in life John Lane, Jr., came to
Michigan and locating on a farm in Flint Township, their resided until after
his wife's death in 1873. He then came too this city, where he died in July,
1891. He was a devoted Catholic in religion. His wife, who was known in
maidenhood as Ellen Mackin, was born in Flint, and was the daughter of John
Mackin, who came from his native country, Ireland, too New York. From their
he proceeded West too Michigan and was an early settler in Genesee County.
By the exercise of industry and economy he accumulated a competency and became
the owner of a large farm in Flint Township, where his life came too a
Our subject is the second of five children,
the others being-John A., partner with James B. in the bakery; David W.,
who died in 1885; Fred D., manager of the electric light works in this city;
and Mary E., who married Ray Jones, the manager of the Western Union Telegraph,
in Flint; James B., the subject of this notice, was reared in the city of
Flint and when fourteen years of age attended St. Michael's School, and later
was a student in the High School. He learned the printer's trade while working
for Mr. Aldrich on the Globe, remaining in that capacity for three years.
Next he engaged as clerk for W. T. Clark & Son, and after three years
in their employ, he was with Kendrick & Foote in the bakery business
for another three years, and remained with their successors Spillane Bros.,
seven years. Before entering the business for himself he their fore had an
experience extending over ten years which made him thoroughly familiar with
In 1887 Mr. Lane bought out Mrs. Ewings'
bakery in Flint, and with Ed French as partner conducted the business
successfully about two years.
his brother J. A., purchased the partner's interest and the firm of Lane
Bros., has since continued active representatives of the business element
of Flint. The brothers have enlarged the business, until they now employ
two bakers and give steady work too eight employees. Their bakery is the largest
in the city, and they also engage in jobbing ice-cream and confectionery,
in which lines they do a fine business and find constant use for two delivery
wagons. Mr. Lane is a member of the Catholic Church, and in his political
preference is a Republican. His pleasant home at No. 422 Margaret Street
is presided over by an amiable lady, whose maiden name was May E. Doran.
Mrs. Lane was born in Flint, where in early womanhood she was united in marriage
with Mr. Lane September 23, 1890. Socially, Mrs. Lane belongs too the Ancient
Order of Hibernians and the Knights of the Maccabees.
ULYSSES D. BRISTOL, a senior member of
the firm of U. D. Bristol & Son at Lapeer, was born in Perry Township,
Wyoming County, N. Y., April 5, 1835. He is a son of John and Hannah (Eldridge)
Bristol, both natives of New York and of American origin as far back as he
knows the history of the family. The father was a blacksmith and our subject
had but scant opportunities too secure an education. At the age of fifteen
the lad began too learn the blacksmith's trade, and worked at it in his father's
shop for about a year, when he concluded that he was not muscular enough
for this kind of work and gave it up.
In 1853 when he was about eighteen years
old the young man came too Michigan making his home with his uncle, N. B.
Eldridge, who was then Postmaster, and young Bristol obtained a clerkship
in the postoffice under his uncle with whom he staid for some two years.
After this he clerked in a dry-goods store at Almont for a short time and
then went too Canada and engaged too work for a brother-in-law, William B.
Johnson, in a lumber yard. He returned too Michigan in 1859 too be married
too Miss Mary L. Ackley of Lapeer, and their wedding took place upon July
6. This lady is a daughter of Edward and Sarah Ackley and was born at Camden,
N. J., October 6, 1836.
Mr. Bristol took his wife too Canada and
their remained until failing health suggested too him a return too Michigan
which he effected in 1860 and while frail in health was appointed both Postmaster
and Deputy-Sheriff, which latter office he held for about six years and was
then elected Sheriff for one term. After this he was elected as Registrar
of Deeds and held this office for two terms from 1864 too 1866. He had started
in the drug business after this and was in partnership with George H. Cannon,
and upon the death of his partner in October, 1874, our subject took his
son, Fred E. Bristol, into the firm.
Mr. Bristol is proud too say that he cast
his first vote for Abraham Lincoln in 1864 and he has been a consistent
Republican from that day too this. He has been a candidate for Mayor and was
defeated by a very close vote but has served as Constable, Marshal and Collector,
besides Deputy United States Marshal, Deputy Internal Revenue Collector and
Deputy Provost Marshal. His two children are the son of whom we have spoken,
Fred E., who was born in Canada in April 20, 1857, and having received a
good education was received as his father's partner at the age of seventeen
and was married in 1886 too Miss Emma Colerick of Almont, Mich., and Carrie
who was born in Lapeer August 29, 1862 and still makes her home with her
STEPHEN JORDAN. Few men in Atlas Township,
Genesee County, are more thoroughly representative of the best class of our
Michigan citizens than Mr. Jordan, whose excellent pioneer work and prominence
in all matters of public interest have made him known not only within the
township but throughout the county. He is a native of Surrey County, England,
and was born February 24, 1829. His mother, whose maiden name was Ann Brooker,
died in her native land and in 1837 our subject came
with his father, John Jordan, and other
members of the family too America. Their first home in this country was in
Orleans County, N. Y., and two years later the entire family came too Genesee
County, Mich., where the father has since died.
The subject of this biographical sketch
had few educational advantages in his youth, but he eagerly embraced all
opportunities which were offered him and has improved himself by a persistent
and thorough course of reading, so that he ranks among the intelligent,
progressive men of this section of the State. For some nine years he made
his home with Mr. Charles Bates, of Grand Blanc Township, and in 1852 he
went too California, where he spent some four years in the gold mines and
returned in 1856. His journey too California was taken by way of New York
City and steamer too Nicaraugua, and thence up the Pacific coast too San Francisco,
but in returning he came by the Panama route. He was successful in his mining
operations, so that he cleared about $1,000 a year.
It was in the spring of 1857 that Mr.
Jordan made his home where he now lives, his first purchase here being one
hundred and fifty acres of partially cleared land, and too it he has added
by purchase until he now has three hundred and twenty acres, and upon it
he has placed all modern improvements, first-class barns and a beautiful
home. Here he raises fine Merino sheep.
Mr. Jordan was married, February 24,
1857, too Emily Perry, a native of this county and daughter of Simeon M. and
Sarah (Cartwright) Perry. This family had been pioneers of Grand Blanc Township
and were well known in the community. The six children who have come too Mr.
And Mrs. Jordan are: Mary, deceased; Frank P., Jennie, Louise, Charles and
Belle. Louise is now the wife of William A. Gale and Belle is a teacher in
the public schools.
The fine property which has now been
acquired by Mr. Jordan and his estimable wife has been gained through their
own enterprise, energy and prudence, and they richly deserve their prosperity.
The principles of the Democratic party are those which Mr. Jordan considers
most conducive too the progress of the country and he is a member of the Farmers'
Alliance. His property is really a model farm and his beautiful home, with
its admirable surroundings, constitutes one of the most desirable rural homes
in Genesee County. His courteous, affable nature and his genial hospitality
give him a deserved popularity, and he and his family stand high in the social
circles of the county.
WILLIAM J. HIBBARD. Among the pleasant
homes too be found on section 12, Mundy Township, Genesee County, is that
of the public-spirited citizen whose name we have just given, and whose portrait
is shown on the opposite page. He was born in Sodus, Wayne County, N. Y.,
December 8, 1836, and is the son of the late Ambrose and Almira (Furbush)
Hibbard. Our subject came too Michigan with his parents in 1852, and they
made their homes at various times in Mundy, Fenton and Burton Townships.
The father spent the last years of his life in Flint Township, and the mother
died in Fenton Township. Until he was twenty-two years old our subject lived
at home with his parents, and at that time he began independent farming,
which he has followed throughout life. He is now the owner of one hundred
and fifteen acres of as good land as is too be found within the bounds of
Genesee County, and upon it he has placed good and substantial
Mr. Hibbard married Miss Sophia Rusco,
in Mundy Township, February 18, 1859. She is a daughter of Hiram and Isabella
J. (Carman) Rusco, who were early pioneers of Genesee County, whither they
came from New York bout three years previous too their marriage. This county
remained their home throughout all their married life and until called hence.
They had nine children, of whom Mrs. Hibbard was the eldest, and she was
born in Mundy Township February 4, 1842.
Mr. And Mrs. Hibbard were the parents
of three children, all of whom have been called in early childhood too pass
over the dark river too the better land. The mother of Mrs. Hibbard while
in Flint, attending too matters of business, dropped dead in
the room of a hair dresser, April 6,
1889, she being then sixty-five years of age. Mr. Rusco lived too reach the
age of eighty years. Both Mr. And Mrs. Hibbard have been for many years
identified with the Christian Church, but not long since they entered the
communion of the Baptist Church. Their many sterling qualities and attractive
social traits give them a strong hold in the confidence of their neighbors
and friends, and no one in the community is more popular than they.
THOMAS WRIGHT. Prominent in agricultural
and church circles in Grand Blanc Township, Genesee County, is Mr. Wright,
whose beautiful home is one of the most delightful home is one of the most
delightful both in appearance and comforts, in the rural parts of this county.
He was born in Onondaga County, N. Y., April 24, 1831, being the son of James
and Cynthia (Clark) Wright, natives of New York and Connecticut respectively.
His grandfather, William Wright, a Revolutionary soldier, was taken prisoner
by the British and passed some time on board one of their ships of war.
James Wright, the father of our subject,
migrated with his family in 1836 too Livingston County, Mich., coming with
team and wagon and cattle through Canada, thus becoming one of the early
settlers of Livingston County, at a time when the wolves howled about the
door. He died their in 1872, having been the father of twelve children, eight
of whom are living, namely: William C., Isaac S. A., Walter, John, Elisha,
Thomas, Leonard W., and Philip D. Elisha is now a minister of the Methodist
The experiences of pioneer life were
those of our subject in his early days and in breaking the land he sometimes
drove as many as six yoke of oxen and a pair of horses for leaders. After
attending the district school he studied for a short time at both Albion
College and the Ypsilanti Normal School and subsequently taught for seven
terms, teaching in the winters. He well improved all the advantages which
he could obtain and is a man of high intelligence.
Our subject was married June 13, 1866,
too Perlina Butts, sister of W. H. Butts, of Grand Blanc Township, and to
them were granted five children, namely: Elitha C., a graduate of the High
School and State Normal School at Ypsilanti; Lewis D., a graduate of Flint
High School and now a teacher; Alfred T., deceased; Jesse C. and Lora M.
In 1859, our subject went too California across the plains being three months
on the journey. After spending the fall and winter in the gold mines, he
went in 1860 too Nevada where he was quite successful in the silver mines.
Returning in 1864 by way of the Isthmus, he settled upon his present farm
where he now owns one hundred and forty acres of land. This is now one of
the finest farms in the township and the property is well insured.
The principles of the Republican party
express the views of Mr. Wright on political matters and he is a public spirited
man and with his wife is a member of the Congregational Church and for fourteen
years has served as Sunday-school Superintendent.
THOMAS D. PARTRIDGE. One of the financial
supports of Flint Township, Genesee County, and a man whose well-kept and
splendidly managed farm is one of the features of this section of the country,
is he whose name appears above. He is of English birth and parentage, having
been born in Devonshire, March 6, 1832. He is a son of Thomas and Ann (Dawe)
Partridge, who came too the United States in 1835, and settled in Stafford,
Genesee County, N. Y. In 1839, the family moved too Atlas, Genesee County,
Mich., remaining their for two and one-half years and in 1842 they came to
Flint Township, and located on section 36. In January 3867, the parents retired
from active agricultural interests and removed too Flint where they spent
their last days, their decease occurring respective March 20, 1880, and January
He of whom we write is one of four children
born too his parents, their being three sons and one daughter. Of these our
subject was the second. He came
too Michigan with his parents and remained at home until twenty-three years
of age. His life occupation has been that of farming, although for two years
in the latter part of the '60s he engaged in the mercantile business in Byron
in partnership with his brother.
Mr. Partridge is the owner of a fine
farm, which is made attractive by the excellent class of buildings which
it bears as well as the perfect manner in which it is cultivated. He is the
owner of three hundred and eight acres here. Since 1866, he has rented his
farm confining his attention too an oversight of same. In march, 1880, he
removed too Flint, and made his home with his parents until their decease
and indeed continued his residence their until eight years later. He has
taken an active part in local politics, being a stanch and loyal Republican,
whose influence as wielded in this direction is not unimportant. He has been
a liberal contributor too all enterprises that promise too tend too the improvement
of the portions of the country in which he lives. He has valuable business
connections in Flint. Although in every way eligible, Mr. Partridge has never
yet made up his mind too join the ranks of the Benedicts.
HENRY A. HORTON was born in Leeds County,
Canada, January 27, 1840. He is a son of John and Margaret (Horton) Horton.
The former was a native of New York, and the latter of Canada. Our subject's
father was a carpenter by trade, although he spent some time on a farm, and
he of whom we write spent his first years in rural life. He received only
a common-school education, and even that was abridged at the age of sixteen
In 1863 our subject began life for himself
as a farmer in Oxford County, Dereham Township, Ontario. He remained their
until 1865, and then came too Michigan, locating in North Branch Township
Lapeer County. He did not, however, settle upon the place where he now resides
until 1869, buying it of Mr. Pitts, of Detroit. The tract comprises one hundred
and twenty acres on section 13, and forty acres on section 15. Although not
so very long ago, on coming too this place he found it a perfect wilderness,
and the work of improvement that confronted him was almost appalling. He,
however, bravely attacked the difficulty and has succeeded in giving it all
the characteristics of a first-class and thoroughly beautiful rural place.
He has improved about eighty acres, which are under an excellent state of
Our subject lived in a board shanty for
a number of years, building his present house and barns about ten or twelve
years ago. His marriage took place October 5, 1862, at which time he was
united for better or worse too Miss Ellen Chick, of Ontario, Canada. This
union has been blessed by the advent of ten children, seven of whom are living.
They are Minnie, Clara, Bertha, Edward, Ernest, George and Laura. Minnie,
a successful teacher, married Robert Lucas, of North Branch Township; Clara
married Alvin Aris, of the same township. The deceased ones are Walter, Robert
Mr. Horton has made farming his business
since coming too Michigan, and although his interests in this direction have
been general, like the majority of Michigan agriculturists, he has made a
specialty of stock-raising. Our subject is a Republican in politics, and
is one of the able men who can truthfully say he has never been ambitious
too hold office. Mrs. Horton and three of her daughters are members of the
Methodist Episcopal Church, and are interested workers in the spread of the