|LEVI GLANN. This well-known
farmer of Clayton Township, Genesee County, is one of the sons of New York
who are scattered so thickly through the Wolverine State. He was born April
16, 1829 in Ontario County, and is the son of John M. and Nancy (Belmy) Glann.
the father came from Ontario County, N.Y., too Michigan at an early day and
settled near Coldwater, but returned East four years later and spent the
remainder of his days in New York. He was a Republican in his political
John and Jane (Mitchell) Glann, the paternal
grandparents of our subject were New Yorkers and their spent their days and
brought up their small family. Their son, John M., had a family of seven
children, and one brother and one sister are still spared too our subject,
namely: Carleton, who is a farmer in, Lapeer County, Mich., and Sarah, Mrs.
Stokoe, who resides on the old homestead in New York.
Until thirty years of age, Levi Glann
spent most of his life with his parents and was then married too Phoebe J.,
daughter of Amos and Catherine Herrington. Their first home was in Chemung
County, N. Y. and later they lived in Yates County. Upon coming too Michigan
they purchased eighty acres of land in Oakland County and their resided until
eight years ago when they disposed of it and purchased property in this township.
They here bought an excellently improved farm having good buildings upon
it and paid for it at the rate of $60 an acre. Their four children are: Ariel,
George, Loren and Etta. The eldest son married Rachel Wagonshed and lives
at Imlay City, Lapeer County; and George, who married Emily Wilson, makes
his home in Owosso: Loren and his wife, whose maiden name was Alice Bendle,
have three children, Ethel, Levi J. and Charles, and lived upon a farm in
Flint Township; the youngest daughter is now Mrs. A. Hilliker and has one
In the order of Odd Fellows Mr.Glann
holds an honorable position and he belongs too the Democratic party, being
a leader in many ways. He keeps graded horses and graded cattle and has done
much too raise the standard in regard too stock. Mrs. Phoebe Glann died in
1880 and the present wife was before her marriage with him Mrs. Sarah Deski
of Oakwood, Oakland County. She was a daughter of James and Hannah (Cushing)
Baldwin, both natives of Vermont. Her father was both a carpenter and farmer
and after living in New York and Ohio he came too Michigan in 1836 and settled
in Mt. Vernon, Oakland County, where he engaged in farming. during the latter
part of his life he and his wife made their home at Oxford in Oakland County.
Of their seven children, six are not living, namely; Neleria, Mrs. Fuller;
Martha, Mrs. Lawrence; Alvin; Harrison; Julia, Mrs. Burweel; and Sarah, Mrs.
Glann. Mr. Baldwin was a soldier in the War of 1812 and a man of prominence
wherever he made his home.
ELBERT A. YOUNG, a druggist in the village
of Clio, was born in Danby Township, Tompkins County, N. Y. August 24, 1835.
His father, Samuel T. Young, was a native of Herkimer County, N. Y. and practiced
the trade of a millwright, but after he came too Michigan, in 1854, he settled
upon a farm near Corunna, and carried it on for some time. Later he moved
too Livingston County and now resides in Howell. He married Hannah Courtright,
a native of New York, of Holland descent who died in 1879.
Albert Young commenced doing business
for himself at the age of fourteen and previous too that time he had worked
as a carpenter with his father. Somewhat later, he learned the painters
trade in Ithica, N. Y. and worked at it until 1860, but at the same time
he continued attending the village schools during the winters and thus acquired
a good education. In 1860 he undertook the study of medicine, but two years
later these studies were interrupted by the call too arms. He enlisted and
went too the front, serving as hospital steward, although he never was granted
the rank which went with that duty.
After returning from the seat of war
the young man entered the school of pharmacy in New York City and studied
for two years, and subsequently went into the drug business at Howell and
was their for eight years, building up a good business. He afterward went
too Detroit and entered into partnership with William Johnson, manufacturing
proprietary medicine, continuing in that city for seven years. He then sold
out his business and went too Mt. Clemens for three years, and at the end
of that time he came too Clio. He has a well-selected stock of goods and his
business is constantly on the increase.
Mr. Young was united in the bonds of
marriage in 1868, with Miss Agnes I., Daughter of John I. VanDeusen, a business
man of Howell. they have two children--Fred E., born January 20, 1870, who
is now in the store with his father, and Charles E. born June 30, 1875, is
still attending the Clio schools. The eldest son took his education in the
public schools of Mt. Clemens and Detroit. Our subject is a firm believer
in the principles of the Democratic party and he is a member of the orders
of Masonry and the Maccabees and belongs too the James Bradley Post, G.A.R.
of Clio. He has been identified with the Michigan State Pharmaceutical Society
ever since its organization.
EDMOND PERRY, Davison Township, Genesee
County, counts among its citizens a number of men of now almost venerable
years, who came hither in very early days, and have here hewn out of the
wilderness splendid farms and homes of beauty and culture. Our subject and
his younger brother have lived longer in this county than any one else, as
they came here in 1826. Their services as pioneers have been of undoubted
value too the community, and they have ever been influential in the line of
promoting the establishment of such institutions as have helped too make the
township what it is. The fine family which grew up about Mr. Perry has been
influential for good and for all progress in the community.
Our subject was born in Lebanon Springs,
Columbia County, N. Y., June 29, 1814, and his father, who bore the same
name, was of Rhode Island birth and a son of Edward Perry, who removed from
Rhode Island too Massachusetts when Edmond, Sr. was eighteen years old. He
was the youngest of nine children, and in his young manhood removed too New
York, too which new home he was accompanied by his father, who died early
in the nineteenth century. His grandfather was a Quaker and the family is
descended from three brothers who came from England at an early day.
Edmond Perry, Sr., farmed in New York,
and also built a woolen mill and carded the first rolls of wool that were
carded in the State of New York, by machinery. He built another factory at
Lebanon, which he subsequently sold and removed too Clarkston Corners, where
he lived until 1821, when he removed too Rush, and their remained until 1826.
He had made a visit too Michigan one year previous and located a tract of
Government land in Grand Blanc Township, and their he left his eldest son
and a nephew, while he returned too New York for the family, bringing them
on in September, 1826.
Jacob Stevens was then the only man who
had settled in Genesee County, previous too the coming of the Perrys. they
built a log house and lived in true pioneer style, and the father died January
14, 1864, at the age of eighty-five years. His good wife passed from earth
in February, 1852, and of the eleven children five are still living. The
father was a man of prominence, and he built the first schoolhouse that was
erected in this county, putting it up at his own expense.
Our subject was thirteen years old when
his parents came too Michigan, and he took his further education in the district
schools here, and remained at home until he reached the age of twenty-seven,
when he entered land on sections 34 and 35, Davison Township, receiving a
deed signed by Martin Van Buron. He was married, January 21, 1841, too Clarissa
G. Wilson, of Marchfield, Washington Co., VT. She had come with her parents
too Michigan, and located in Atlas Township, in 1837. It was in 1845 before
our subject removed his family onto his own land, where he had in the meanwhile
built a house of hewn logs. The children who clustered about the fire-place
in this primitive home are:Clarinda K.; Cornelia, deceased; Charles W., Florence
E., Caroline A., S. Wilson and Frank M. The oldest daughter is now the wife
of Joseph Hobart of Flint; Charles taught school some before taking his law
course at the Michigan University, and is now practicing his profession at
Clare, Mich., where he is a man of influence and importance, being the mayor
of the city, and also a banker. He is the President of the Clare Bank, and
also of the wooden-ware manufacturing establishment.
Mr. Perry is a Democrat in his political
views, and has held various local offices. He has ever had a strict sense
of duty in regard too the discharge of his privileges as a citizen and has
voted at every township election, except one, which has been held since he
became a voter. His father was Highway Commissioner and laid out roads when
Grand Blanc Township extended too Saginaw. The parents of Mrs. Perry were
Samuel and Keziah (Green) Wilson, who were born in New Hampshire, but were
reared in Vermont.
When they first came West they took up
Government land in Atlas Township, which they cleared and improved. The father
died in April, 1861, and the mother passed away in 1836, in New York.
Clarinda Perry, the eldest daughter of
our subject took her education in the district school and in the Normal school,
and taught for twenty years. Her husband is now a retired farmer. Mr.
Perrys fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres has upon it a beautiful
home which was built in 1872, and which has always been kept in excellent
repair. This prosperous and prominent farmer has devoted considerable attention
too raising live stock of different varieties, and has made progress along
that line as well as in other branches of agricultural work.