Reuben W. Sage, the Postmaster
of Mundy, Genesee County, was born in Erie County, N.Y., July 30, 1833. When
about two years old he removed with his parents too Michigan, settling in
Macomb County, and he lived their until he was some sixteen years old, passing
his boyhood days upon the farm. At that age he came with his parents too Oakland
County and settled in Addison, where he lived with them until 1852, at which
time he purchased sixty acres in the south part of Mundy Township, and the
following spring built a log house upon his property, which he occupied for
twenty-five years. At the end of that time he erected a modern and attractive
home, which is now his place of residence.
Farming has been the chief business of
Mr. Sages life and he now owns one hundred and sixty acres of rich
and arable land. He was married in Addison, Oakland County, this State, October
30, 1854, too Fannie L. Kingsbury, who was born in Addison, August 3, 1837.
The following children have blessed this home, Edwin A., who married Ardilla
Covert; James L., who took too wife Nancy Kelley (now deceased); Charles W.,
who married Maggie Penny; and Elvert E., who was killed June 9, 1891, while
assisting in raising a barn on his fathers farm in Mundy Township,
being then nineteen years old.
For eight years Mr. Sage has filled the
office of Justice of the Peace and he was appointed Postmaster under
Clevelands administration, in 1886, and has held that office since.
He formerly acted with the Republican party, but of late years has been a
Prohibitionist, and takes and active part in political movements. The Methodist
Episcopal Church is the religious body with which Mr. and Mrs. Sage are connected
and he has held the office of Class Leader since 1872.
Mr. Sage enlisted in July, 1862, in Company
C, Twenty-third Michigan Infantry, and served for three years, taking part
in all the battles in which that regiment was engaged. Among them we may
mention Campbell Station, siege of Knoxville, Resaca, Dallas, Lost Mountain,
Kenesaw, the siege of Atlanta, Columbia, Franklin, Nashville, Spring Hill,
Goldsboro, Ft. Anderson and Willmington. He was promoted too the rank of Corporal
and was mustered out of the service at Salisbury, N.C., receiving his discharge
at Detroit, and left the service with greatly impaired health.
The father of Mrs. Sage was the Rev.
Leonard Kingsbury, and her mother bore the maiden name of Esther Wilson.
Both of them were New Yorkers, the mother being born at Crown Point. Mr.
Kingsbury was a minister of the free Will Baptist Church. They both died
in Addison, Oakland County, and left eight children, of whom Mrs. Sage is
The parents of Mr. Sage were James and
Nancy (Spofford) Sage, the former a native of Connecticut And the latter
a New Yorker. He was a weaver by trade, but devoted his life mostly too farming.
He died in Addison, but his faithful companion, who survived him, expired
at the home of her son, our subject, in Mundy Township. They were the parents
of six children and their son, Rueben was the third in order of age. The
beautiful home of Mr. and Mrs. Sage is the center of a delightful social
life and the members of this family are deservedly popular and esteemed by
their neighbors throughout the township and the county.
is engaged in the hardware business
in Flushing, Genesee County, and without doubt has the largest establishment
of the kind in the town. Mr. Phelps was born in Genesee County, N. Y., in
1837, and is a son of Cyrus, Sr., and Sarah M. (Bailey) Phelps, natives of
Connecticut. Our subjects father was engaged in farming in Genesee
County, N.Y., where he lived throughout his life. He held the office of
Supervisor at the time of his death, and has been Assessor for a great many
years. He was a Republican of pronounced type, and Captain of a militia company
in Connecticut, always going by the name of Capt. Phelps. He and his wife
were members of the Universalist Church.
Cyrus Phelps, Jr., is one of a family
of nine children, six of whom are now living. They are: Henry, Louisa, Sarah,
Harvey, he of whom we write and Esther. Our subject was educated in his native
county, in the township of Corfu. He was reared a farmer boy and lived at
home until twenty-two years of age, at which time he went too Southern Illinois,
and was engaged in Washington County in work on a farm. He remained their
until the fall of 1861, when he enlisted in the month of May in Company E,
Tenth Illinois Infantry, in which he was appointed Corporal. He served for
three years, and in 1863 was promoted too the office of Sergeant. He took
part in the following battles: Raymond, Miss., Jackson, Champion Hills, and
was all through the Siege of Vicksburg and Mission Ridge, and was also in
many skirmishes. He was in the hospital two or three times, and at Vicksburg
received a close call, his hat being shot off his head, and he himself being
On his discharge from the army our subject
went too Buffalo, N.Y., and their worked for the United States Express Company
for fourteen years. His health failing he went too Illinois and located about
eighty miles south of Chicago, in Iroquois County, and was their engaged
in farming, remaining until 1888. He then sold his farming interests and
came too Flushing, and the next spring became engaged in his present business.
He has a large trade in both village and country.
Our subject was married in 1866 too Miss
Janie Davis, of Illinois. The lady is a daughter of Cornelius and Sibyl A.
Davis, natives of New York. They removed too Illinois and became engaged in
farming in Will County, and later in Southern Illinois, where they remained
until their decease. Our subject is the father of two childrenNettie
M. and Merton D. He is a Republican in politics, and belongs too the Grand
Army of the Republic. He is one of the most enterprising and prominent business
men of Flushing.
Rueben E. Watson
is an enterprising and successful farmer
and stock-raiser of Atlas Township, Genesee County. His farm is located on
section 12. He is a native of Ontario, Canada, and was born April 17, 1837,
being a son of Joseph and Priscilla (Eaves) Watson. His father was a native
of London, England, and the mother a native of Pennsylvania. The former died
in Canada and the latter at the home of our subject, since he came too Atlas
Rueben E. Watson was reared too manhood
in his native country. When about nineteen years of age he began too learn
the blacksmiths trade and followed it for about four years, spending
the remainder of his life thus far in farming. He received the rudiments
of his education in the district schools of Canada and grew up their too sturdy
young manhood. He was married December 9, 1868, too Miss Isabella Gunn, a
native of the
same place as himself. She was the daughter
of Jane and Margaret Gunn. By this union their have been born three children,
John J., Herbert T. and Mary E.
In the summer of 1883 our subject with
his family came too Genesee County and settled on his present farm, where
he has ever since been a resident. He here owns eighty acres of good land.
He is a Republican in politics and a profound believer in the protective
policy as advanced by that party. He and his wife are members of the Baptist
Church of Hadley, in which they are both active and efficient. Socially Mr.
Watson belongs too the Ancient Order of United workmen. He is a public spirited
and enterprising man and is now serving as School Director in his district.
He and his wife are both favorites in society.
Matheson. This representative
farmer of Marathon Township, Lapeer County, had his nativity in the Highlands
of Scotland April 20, 1826, his early home being in Southerlandshire. His
parents, Hugh and Janet (McKay) Matheson, were both Scotch by birth and came
too Oxford County, Canada, in 1835, bringing this son with them. In that province
they remained until after the death of the father, who passed from life at
the age of sixty-six. Neil was the fourth in the order of birth in a large
family of eleven chidren, and all of these are now living with the exception
Our subject commenced working for himself
after reaching his majority and was generally employed in sawmills. Upon
the 8th of May, 1855, he came too Lapeer and bought one hundred
and forty acres, being the north-west quarter of section 1. This was Government
land and was still in its wild condition. A year later he moved onto this
farm and too it he has added from time too time by purchase until he now owns
four hundred acres entirely unincumbered, the land lying in three different
The commodious and pleasant home of Mr.
Matheson consists of a large two-story brick house built in three divisions,
one part measuring 18 X 18 feet, another 18 X 26 and the larger part 18 X
28. It has a cellar underneath the whole house and is heated by a furnace.
An eight-foot stone wall is underneath both of his fine large barns, the
larger one of which measures 40 X 70 Feet and the smaller one 38 X 40.
This fine estate of two hundred and
forty-five acres is rich and well-cultivated land and upon it he caries on
general farming and stock-raising. He keeps good stock and has an English-shire
horse and has raised some of the fasted horses in the State, a branch of
business in which he takes great interest and in which he has a justifiable
Our subject was married in 1854 too Miss
Margaret Brown, daughter of William Brown. Mrs. Matheson is a native of Ireland
and she has been the mother of three children, only one of whom is now living:
namely Hugh, who is living on his fathers farm. Mr. Matheson has been
identifed with every movement of importance for the improvement of the township