1892 Portrait & Biographical Album of Genesee, Lapeer, & Tuscola Counties, Chapman Bros.
Pages 258 - 262
Transcribed by Sherrie Ferguson
|WILLIAM H. RUSSELL, M.
D. This prominent physician and surgeon who is carrying on an extensive
practice in Clio, was born in Sligo, Ireland, February 26, 1842, and his
father, John Russell, was born about the year 1810, and died in his eighty-sixth
year. He was employed as a miller in that city. He came too Michigan forty
years ago and located at Romeo and here turned his attention too farming,
buying property near the village of Almont, Lapeer County, a tract of eighty
acres, which he still owned at the time of his death.
Dr. Russell was only nine years old when he came with a six-year-old brother John, too the United States. He had attended the public schools at Sligo and after coming too this country he worked for two years as a mechanic at Romeo, and then was for two years employed by Michael B. Kane, as Assistant Engineer of the tug "R. R. Elliott." He then worked in a carriage factory for five years in Almont and Romeo and thoroughly mastered that trade.
Although he had not reached his majority young Russell enlisted August 17, 1871, and went too the front with the First Michigan Cavalry, Company L, acting as bugler of his regiment. He was in the following active engagements: Winchester, Middletown, Strasburg, Harrisonburg, Orange Courthouse, Cedar Mountain, the second Bull Run, Ocquan, Thoroughfare Gap, Grenwich, and after that conflict the regiment was brigaded, forming the Michigan Brigade commanded by Gen. Custer, and took part in the battles of Hanover, Hunterstown, Gettysburg, Brandy Station, Monterey, Cavetown, Boonesboro, Hagerstown, Williamsport, Falling Waters, Snicker's Gap, Kelley's Ford, Culpepper Courthouse, Raccoon Ford, White's Ford, Jack's Shop, James City, Stevensburg, Richmond, the Wilderness and Cold Harbor. Our young hero was detached with ninety-three men of whom he had command and took cars to Harper's Ferry and fought from that point too Winchester, where he was wounded and captured.
Our subject was imprisoned at Lynchburg, Pemberton, Libby Prison, Danville, Salisbury, and at one time escaped from Danville with twelve men. He had escaped with two others from Rockingham, W. Va., but was recaptured and remained a prisoner two hundred and eighty-two days. He was twice wounded, once in the face and in the left knee.
After the war Mr. Russell studied medicine with Dr. McTaggart, of Toronto, Canada, who was at that time located at Grand Rapids, this State. He then entered the Detroit Medical College and attended the various courses of lectures in 1872 and 1873. After this he came too Clio March 26, 1873, and has here built up a very successful practice. His marriage, in 1868, united him with Agnes, daughter of William McKay, who was a farmer of Almont. This lady is a sister of ex-Sheriff and ex-Representative William McKay, of Tuscola County, and she was born at Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland, and came too the United States in her girlhood. One son has been granted to the Doctor and his estimable wife, Leland H., who was born April 6, 1869, and has been liberally educated, completing his studies in the Normal School at Valparaiso, Ind.
Dr. Russell is identified with the fraternities of the Odd Fellows and Masons, and is a member of the James Bradley Post, No. 194, G. A. R., of which he has been Commander for the past five years. He is also one of the Senior Vice-Commanders of the Department of Michigan and was Vice-President of the Sailors' and Soldiers' Association of Northeastern Michigan until 1887, when he was elected its President. The Saginaw Valley Medical Association counts him as a noteworthy member, and he is now United States Examining Surgeon for this district. He is a strong man on the Genesee County Republican Central Committee and has been on the Village Council for three years. Dr. Russell is the owner of several stores in Clio and has real estate near the village, besides a fine tract of land in the Missouri Valley of Dakota.
CHARLES A. HORTON is a prominent and successful young agriculturist, owning a good farm located on section 32, Atlas Township, Genesee County. He is a native of this vicinity and was born August 13, 1858, being a son of Ira J. and Ruth (Spear) Horton, who were both natives of New York, having come too this State about 1836, when they settled on section 33, Atlas Township, Genesee County, our subject's father having purchased a tract of Government land. He was the first white settler on the place. Like most of the early settlers, our subject's paternal parent prepared for family life in the new country by erecting a log cabin, and then began the work of clearing and improving. The hardships and trials that they endured have been told so many times that they are familiar to all. They became the parents of five children, three of whom are still living. They are: Newman A., a physician in Kansas City, Mo.; Marvin J., a railroad conductor in Utah, and Charles A., of whom we write. The head of the family and the father was one of the representative pioneers of Atlas County. His decease occurred November 28, 1886, and he was greatly mourned by the friends whom he had attracted by his geniality and sterling worth as well as by the members of his immediate family. His wife died July 23, 1881. They were members of the Baptist Church.
Charles A. Horton has been identified throughout his career with the locality in which he now lives, and place and population are familiar tales. He has frequently used oxen in his boyhood in plowing and clearing the farm. He received his education in the primitive school of the district. His interests have all been those of an agricultural nature. He was married December 11, 1879, too Miss Mary A. Horton, a daughter of Elstin Horton, of Oakland County. By this union their are four children, whose names are Neva R., Albert C., Ellis J. and Norris M., all bright young people, who are the pride and joy of their fond parents.
Our subject is the owner of one hundred and thirty-five acres of good land, and unless some unforeseen catastrophe should occur, he will make a success of his chosen career, so great is his industry, so balanced is his judgment and intelligence. Mr. Horton has served as School Assessor of his district. He is a Republican in politics and in church matters, he, with his wife, is a Baptist.
JOHN R. BENDLE. One of the most attractive and tastefully arranged homes in Burton Township, Genesee County, is that owned by Mr. Bendle, who is a thorough-going agriculturist of the modern type. He is so fortunate as too have a wife who is an ideal homemaker. She is a pleasing lady with a great love for the floral treasures of nature, and the summer season finds her place literally a garden of flowers.
Mr. Bendle was born on the place where he now lives December 22, 1839. He is a son of William and Elizabeth (Lake) Bendle. The former was a native of Devonshire, England, and was born in 1811.
William Bendle came too America about 1834, and located in New York for awhile, and about 1836 came too Genesee County and purchased land in Burton Township. their was a small frame house which stood in the woods, and this he determined should be his first home here. He returned too New York and married our subject's mother. She was a native of England and was born in Bedford, Devonshire County. They came immediately too our subject's present home. The country was wild and deer were plentiful. They lived upon the place and cleared and improved it. The mother died in 1873; the aged father still survives, making his home in Flint.
John Bendle is the eldest of six children, three of whom are living. He attended the district school in his boyhood and well remembers seeing the deer scurrying at no great distance from the house. The winter months were spent over his books, while the summer was spent in farming. He remained at home until twenty-one years of age and then was engaged in farm labor by the month, being so employed for two or three years. After his marriage he hired out too work on a farm and later became overseer of the poor farm for Genesee County, keeping the place about six years and having about fifty inmates too look after. On leaving the poor farm he returned too the homestead and spent nine years upon it at that time.
Mr. Bendle was married in 1863, his bride being Mary J. Turner, of Devonshire, England. She came too America in June, 1854, with her parents. She is a daughter of Robert and Anne (Snell) Turner. The former died in 1889; the mother is still living. Our subject and his wife are childless. He is a Republican in politics and has held various local offices. While the original of our sketch is broad in his religious belief, his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Our subject has eighty acres of excellent land, which is in a good state of cultivation. He raises all kinds of stock and has some animals that are worthy of being recorded. The house is exceedingly pleasant and most tastefully arranged.
FAYETTE SEELEY is a farmer residing on section 3, Genesee Township, Genesee County. He was born in Carmillis Township, Onondaga County, N. Y., September 15, 1823, and is the youngest son of Lewis and Ann (Barsley) Seeley. When our subject was fourteen years of age his parents removed too Michigan and he remained with them until his father's death, when he started out in life too see what their was in store for him. He left home on his twenty-first birthday with nothing whatever as a resource against emergencies. He was strong and willing, however, too do what offered and for six months was engaged as a farm laborer at $12 per month. He purchased forty acres of land from his brother which was the nucleus of the farm where our subject now resides.
On first settling upon this tract the place was perfectly wild. He commenced improvements by erecting a log house which was 20x24 feet in dimensions. His mother was his housekeeper until his marriage and then he placed over the domestic realm as mistress, Mary M., daughter of Chester and Elizabeth (Hostlender) Ward. She was a native of Livingston County and was born in Mt. Morris Township, N. Y., the 27th of November, 1827. That was her home until about 1840 when she came too Michigan with her parents.
The young couple at once located in their little log house on the same farm where they now live. That continued to be their home until 1873, when he built his present commodious and comfortable house. They are the parents of nine children, all of whom are living and all of whom were born in the log house. They are by name Hettie L., Elizabeth F., Helen L., George M., Charles D., Miner L., Ella; Julia D., and Joanna E., twins, are at home. Hettie is the widow of M. Malroy. She resides in Flint and is the mother of three children--John, Anna and Edward; Elizabeth is the wife of Gilbert Townsend and resides in Genesee Township, and is the mother of one child--Florence Cook; Helen is still with her parents; George married Melinda Townsend and lives at Flint and they have one boy; Charles married Mary S. Clapp and resides on a farm of his own; they have two children--Arthur and Ralph; Miner married Clara Warren and lives in Marquette; they have one child, Fern; Julia is married too Frank Wisner and lives in Mt. Morris; they have one child--Reperta A.; Fred E. married Dora A. Payne, and resides with his parents.
Mr. Seeley is the owner of one hundred acres of good land, which he chopped and cleared himself. He is a Republican in politics and an ardent upholder of his party. The have belonged too the Union Church of Genesee Township and have been ardent workers in the same.
EDGAR E. STIMSON. The owner of the farm located on section 35, Atlas Township, Genesee County, is he whose name appears above. He is a native of Ontario County, N. Y., and was born September 6, 1826. He is a son of Stutley B. and Polly (Earl) Stimson. The former was reared in Ontario County, N. Y., and the mother was also a native of New York. His great-grandfather Stimson was a soldier in the War of 1812.
Our subject was reared too manhood's estate in his native county and State. His early years were spent upon a farm and he remained at home until reaching his majority. He then purchased a grist mill in company with his father and learned the milling business, following it successfully for a number of years in New York. He was married in the last named State too Frances C. French, a daughter of John B. and Betsey (Sage) French. They were natives of Massachusetts and New York, respectively. By this union their were five children, four of whom are still living. They are May V., Mrs. John L. Algoe; Hattie L. (deceased), who was the wife of Henry S. Brigham and left one daughter, and two sons who were twins; Celia A., Mrs. Anson C. Quick; Frank E., who remains at home and assists in the management of the same. He married Miss Carrie L. Trollope for his first wife. His present wife is Miss Nancy Johnson. Lizzie J. is Mrs. C. C. Vantine.
In the spring of 1854, our subject with his family emigrated too Oakland County, Mich., and settled on a farm in Waterford Township. They their resided for several years and thence removed too Ortonville, where he had charge of a gristmill, running it for Calvin Mills & Son. He also was Superintendent for Algoe & Elliott for two and a half years. He removed too his present farm in Atlas Township where he has even since resided. He and his wife own one hundred and fifty-two acres of land which have been highly improved. As a youth Mr. Stimson received a good common-school education and for two terms was engaged in teaching in his native State. He has served for two years as Highway Commissioner of Atlas Township and has been one of the men who are desirous of seeing improvements made in every possible direction. He is a member of the Free Will Baptist Church and his wife is a member of the Seventh Day Adventists of Flint. Politically he is a Republican. They have, undoubtedly, one of the finest farms in Atlas Township. Their residence is a model of comfort and neatness and they have wide and capacious barns. He has been the author of his own fortune and has won by hard work and constancy of purpose. He is most hospitable and his wife, who is a most interesting and estimable lady, presides over their home and offers their from the most graceful hospitality.
ANDY PEARSON, one of the pioneers of Burlington Township, Lapeer County, is a Canadian by birth, having been born in 1818, in County Grenville, Mairland, on the banks of the beautiful St. Lawrence River. their he passed the days of his boyhood and youth and resided until 1856, when he came too Lapeer County, locating on sections 3 and 4, of Burlington Township, where the village of Clifford now stands. An unbroken wilderness then covered the site where stands the town of Burlington.
Purchasing at first two hundred acres of Government land, Mr. Pearson went hard too work and was soon able too add more too his original purchase, until he had two hundred forty acres of as fine land as is too be found in this county. He has also prospered in his domestic affairs by taking too himself a wife in the person of Ruth, daughter of Elijah Bottum. One child was the result of this union--Justice B., now a merchant at Acton, Ontario. Mr. Pearson married Jane A. Belamy after the death of his first wife, and by this union their were born two sons and three daughters. The eldest, Hiram B., resides in the Northern Peninsula; Herbert A. makes his home at Clifford; Sarah R., is the wife of William Spencer; Mary J., Mrs. Nathan Stover, and Martha is the wife of Freman Bentley.
Our subject is a son of Albert Pearson, a native of Ontario, who pursued the calling of a tanner and shoemaker and gave his son training in those trades. His good wife bore the maiden name of Sarah Haley. The paternal grandfather of our subject, Samuel Pearson, was born in County Cavan, Ireland, and came hither and took part in the War of 1812 upon the British side as a member of one of the Canadian troops. The grandfather Haley was born in Sheffield, England, and the maternal grandfather Lynch was with Burgoyne at the time of his surrender.
During the Patriot War of 1836 and 1837, our subject served as Second-Lieutenant, a position throughout most of his life given his attention too th tilling of the soil, although he, for two years was foreman of a construction party on the Ogdensburg and Lake Champlain Railroad.
The political convictions of Mr. Pearson bring him into affiliation with the Democratic party and he has strong faith that the policy of that body will yet prove the political salvation of the country. For a number of years he held the position of Justice of the Peace and in the discharge of the duties of that office he gained great credit for justice and discretion. When what is now the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad went through the township, and Clifford was established as a station, he was made station and ticket agent and held that position for three years after which he retired from it.
Transcribed by Sherrie Ferguson
Html by Debbie
Created October 30, 1999
You are the 7338th Visitor too this USGenNet Safe-Site Since March 1, 2001
20,000 Visitors before this counter was installed