THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
|Special Thanks to
Bonnie Pattok for transcribing these pages.
ALGER, Frederick Moulton, investor and business manager; born, Detroit, June 27, 1876; son of Hon. Russell A. and Annette H. (Henry) Alger; educated in Phillips Academy and Harvard University, graduating from the latter A. B., 1899; married at Detroit, May 2, 1901, Mary Eldridge Swift. Has been engaged in business in Detroit since 1900; director and secretary Alger, Smith & Co., lumber manufacturers, Manistique Lumbering Co.; president Volunteer Iron and Mining Co.; vice president Manistique Railway; director Packard Motor Car Co., Anderson Forge and Machine Co., Michigan Copper and Brass Co., National Bank of Commerce. Served as captain and assistant adjutant general, U. S. Vols., in Santiago Campaign, Spanish-American War, 1898. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Detroit, Yondotega, University (Detroit); Metropolitan, Army and Navy (Washington); University and Harvard (New York). Recreations: Horseback riding, baseball, etc. Office 1004 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 150 W. Fort St.
ALGER, Russel Alexander, Jr., lumber manufacturer; born, Detroit, Feb. 27, 1873; son of late Gen. R. A. and Annette H. (Henry) Alger; educated at Michigan Military Academy, Detroit High School and Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass.; married at Detroit, Jan. 23, 1896, Miss Marion Jarves. Was associated with his father in business and is executor of the Alger estate; in business for himself since 1903. President Alger, Smith & Co.; wholesale manufacturers of lumber, Anderson Forge & Machine Co.; vice president Packard Motor Car Co.; treasurer Duluth & Northern Minnesota R. R. Co.; director Security Trust Co., Peoples State Bank, Manistique Lumber Co., Alger-Sullivan Co. Republican.
Presbyterian. Member Loyal Legion (by inheritance). Clubs: Detroit, Yondotega, Country, Detroit Yacht, Detroit Boat, Automobile, Detroit Racquet and Curling, St. Clair Fishing and Shooting; Yacht, Automobile of America (New York); Kitchi Gami (Duluth); Mount Royal (Montreal). Recreations: Boating and field sports. Office: 1002 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 566 Jefferson Av.
ALLEN, John Robins, professor mechanical engineering; born, Milwaukee, Wis., July 23, 1869; son of James Morrill and Eliza Jane (Stanton ) Allen; educated in public schools of Milwaukee, Ann Arbor High School, University of Michigan, B. S., 1892, M. E., 1896; married at Ann Arbor, Oct. 9, 1894, Lola H. Conrad. Secretary L. K. Comstock Construction Co., Chicago, 1893; member firm of Ball & Allen, consulting engineers, Chicago, 1894-96; teacher mechanical engineering University of Michigan since Oct. 1896, professor, same, since 1903. One of the organizers of firm of Brush & Allen, engineers, Detroit, 1904, firm becoming Brush, Allen & Anderson, 1907. Member American Society of Ventilating Engineers, Detroit Engineering Society, National Association of Stationary Engineers (honorary), American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Democrat. Baptist. Member Phi Gamma Delta. Club: University. Recreations: Hunting and fishing. Offices: Univ. of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and 1331-1332 Penobscot Bldg., Detroit. Residence: 226 S. Ingalls Av., Ann Arbor.
ALLEN, William Henry, manufacturer; born, Worcester, England, Sept. 10, 1871; son of Joseph and Elizabeth (Fox) Allen; educated in public schools of England and at Detroit Business University; married at Detroit, Nov., 1896, Miss Jennie Johnson. Came to America, 1887, and began active career in factory of Oliver P. Hazard, manufacturer of pants, Detroit; next was connected with the Peerless Manufacturing Co. as sewing machine adjuster and later served in the same capacity with Marvin M. Stanton & Co., was in employ of Kruttner, Rosenfield & Co., and the Binghamton Overall Co., Binghamton, N. Y.; returned to Detroit, 1897, and began as William H. Allen & Co., in manufacture of all grades of petticoats in which has since continued; also senior partner of Allen, Fink & Co., manufacturers of silk petticoats. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Loyal Guard. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 253-255 Lafayette Av. Residence: 130 Stanton Av.
ALLOR, Elmer L., lawyer; born, Macomb Co., Mich., Dec. 22, 1867; son of Louis A. and Mary Jean Allor; educated in Mt. Clemens (Mich.) High School; graduate University of Michigan, B. S. and C. E., 1892; LL. B., Law School, University of Michigan, 1895; married, Lake View, Mich., 1902, Georgia Macomber. On U.S. Lake Survey under U. S. army engineers, 1889 to 1892, inclusive; instructor of Astronomy, University of Michigan, 1892 and 1893; admitted to the bar, 1895, and has since practiced at Detroit. Secretary Detroit Hotel Association, Michigan State Hotel Association; treasurer Detroit Convention and Tourists Bureau. Republican. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Member Masonic order, Elks. Recreation: Stock farming. Office: 412 Hammond Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Ingleside, Mt. Clemens, Mich.
ALTLAND, Daniel Fickes, lawyer; born, Dillsburg, Pa.; son of Samuel and Lydia Altland; preparatory education at Kiskiminetas Springs School, 4 years; graduate Princeton University, A. B., 1898; unmarried. Studied law and has practiced in Detroit since 1898; member of law firm of Atland & LEsperance since 1906; vice consul of Mexico. Clubs: Detroit, Country, University. Office: 1030-1032 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 93 Cass Av.
AMBERG, Emil, physician; born, Santa Fe, N. M., May 1, 1868; son of Jacob and Minna (Loewenbein) Amberg; graduate Realgymnasium, Elberfeld, Germany, 1887, Gymnasium in Arnsberg, 1888, University of Heidelberg, 1894, also passed state examination for license to practice in Germany; was interne in the eye department of Massachusetts Charitable Eye and Ear Infirmary, Boston, Jan. 1, 1896-Apr. 1, 1897; post-graduate courses in Berlin and Vienna. Has been engaged in practice at Detroit since 1898. Member American Otological Society, Wayne County and Michigan State Medical societies, American Medical Association, Chicago Medical Society, Mississippi Valley Medical Association, National Confederation of State Medical Examining and Licensing Boards, National Council of the National Economic League. Recreations: Music, theaters, literature. Office: 270 Woodward Av. Residence: 54 Elizabeth St., W.
AMERINE, Charles Cassatt, manager The Great Western Oil Co.; born, Piqua, O., July 12, 1857; son of John and Susan (Macklefish) Amerine; educated in public and high schools of Piqua, 1864-74; married, Detroit, Oct. 10, 1905, Agnes Eleanor Todt. Connected with freight department of Pennsylvania R. R. at Columbus and Indianapolis, 1878-84; engaged in farming, 1884-87, and as traveling salesman for the Cleveland Refining Co. (oils), 1887-1900; city salesman, Detroit, for Scofield, Shurmar & Teagle (oils), 1890-1900; has been manager of The Great Western Oil Co., Detroit and Toledo, since June 1, 1901. Republican (member executive board, Alger Republican Club, 1895-99). Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs; Commercial, Fellowcraft. Recreations: Baseball and theater. Office: 432 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 550 14th Av.
AMOS, Charles Bristol, manufacturer ornamental brass, iron, wire, structural steel and iron work; born, Detroit, Aug. 25, 1871; son of Ferdinand and Martha (Bristol) Amos; educated in public schools and at Detroit Business College; married at Detroit, Aug. 24, 1896; Elizabeth J. Snook. Served apprenticeship as machine operator with Harvey Sons Co., Limited, 1888-91; employed by American Straw Board Co., Anderson, Ind., as paper machine operator, 1891, and in same year as bookkeeper for the Citizens Gas Co., Anderson; returned to Detroit as assistant teller Peninsular Savings Bank; entered manufacture of mineral water, 1892, later acting as commercial salesman; organized Charles Amos & Co., 1900, incorporated, Sept. 12, 1905, of which is president. Mason; member Maccabees. Club: Detroit Yacht. Recreations: Motoring, fishing and outdoor sports. Office: 94 Larned St., W. Residence: 766 Junction Av.
ANDERSON, Charles G., physician; born, Delaware, Ont., Can., May 24, 1869; son of Charles G. and Annie (Hixton) Anderson; educated in public schools of Ontario, Collegiate Institute of Ontario, and at Detroit College of Medicine, graduating, M. D., 1893; unmarried. Began practice in Detroit, 1893, as assistant physician Detroit Sanitarium; has been physician-in-chief since 1896. Member Wayne County and Michigan State Medical societies, American Medical Association, Nu Sigma Nu. Mason. Knight Templar. Clubs: Detroit, Old Club. Recreation: Fishing. Office and residence: 107 Fort St., W.
ANDERSON, Henry C., mechanical engineer; born, Morganfield, Ky., Dec. 4, 1872; son of John G. and Sophia (Cromwell) Anderson; educated in public schools, academy and Kentucky State College, degree of B. M. E., 1897; married at Lexington, Ky., Aug 14, 1904, Sara G. Sinnrall. Junior professor of mechanical engineering University of Michigan; member firm of Brush, Allen & Anderson, consulting engineers, since Apr., 1906. Member Michigan Engineers Society, Detroit Engineering Society. Member Sigma Chi, Sigma Xi, Mason. Recreations: Reading, outdoor diversions. Office: 1331 Penobscot Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Ann Arbor, Mich.
ANDERSON, John Wendell, lawyer; born, La Crosse, Wis., Sept. 25, 1867; son of Wendell A. and Susan M. (Small) Anderson; La Crosse High School, 1885, Cornell University, 1889, University of Michigan, LL.B., June, 1890; married at Detroit, June 19, 1895, Gustava Doeltz. Has been engaged in practice at Detroit since 1893; member of law firm of Anderson & Rackham since 1896, attorneys for R. G. Dun & Co. and National Surety Co. of New York. Director Ford Manufacturing Co. Member Detroit Bar Association, Michigan Bar Association. Independent in politics. Episcopalian in religious view. Member Chi Psi, Corinthian Lodge No. 241, F. & A. M. Clubs: University (member board of governors, 1899-03, president, 1902-03), Country, Detroit Boat. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 519-520 Moffat Blk. Residence: 196 Iroquois Av.
ANDERSON, Kenneth, treasurer and manager Kenneth Anderson Manufacturing Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: 33 Atwater St., E. Residence: Hotel Plaza.
ANDERSON, William C., president Anderson Carriage Co.; born, Ontario, Can., 1853; son of Hiram and Susanna (Cummings) Anderson; educated in public schools and business college; married at Port Huron, Mich., 1877, Ida F. Anderson. Began in manufacturing business at Port Huron as Anderson Carriage Co., 1895; removed to Detroit, and continues as wholesale manufacturer of carriages and electric automobiles. Member of Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Masonic order. Recreation: Horseback riding. Office: Clay Av. and Riopelle St. Residence: 65 Rowena St.
ANDERSON, William Kyle, capitalist; born near Owensboro, Ky., Mar. 24, 1847; son of James B. and Mary A. Anderson; educated in private schools at Owensboro; University of Michigan, A. B., 1868, A. M., 1871; post-graduate studies University of Berlin, 1868-69; married at Detroit, Jan. 26, 1870, Cornelia M. Cook. Began active career as cashier Owensboro Savings Bank, Owensboro, Ky., 1871, continuing until 1877; removed to Detroit and was manager Detroit Seed Co., 1877-78; treasurer and director Michigan Car Co., Detroit Car Wheel Co., Baugh Steam Forge Co., Detroit Iron Furnace Co., Detroit Railroad Elevator Co., Detroit Iron Mining Co., Detroit Transportation Co., Duluth and Atlantic Transportation Co., etc., all of them known as the Newberry & McMillan corporations, 1879-92; treasurer Michigan Peninsular Car Co., 1893-94; not in active business since 1894, except in management of his own private affairs. First vice president and director Detroit Home Savings, director Detroit Savings Bank, Security Trust Co., Detroit Railroad Elevator Co., Detroit Iron Furnace Co., Beals & Selkirk Trunk Co., Manufacturers Commercial Co., New York, etc. Deputy collector internal revenue, 2nd district, Ky., 1871-74; United States consul at Hanover, Germany, 1897-99 (appointed by President McKinley). Clubs: Detroit, Old Club, Country, Detroit, Detroit Boat, and Automobile. Office: 902 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 739 Jefferson Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thurs, 30-March-2000 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN