THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 33 35
|Special Thanks to
Bonnie Pattok for transcribing these pages.
ANDERSON, William Robert, general manager Anderson Forge and Machine Co.; born,
Detroit, Oct.7, 1872; son of William Henry and Elizabeth (McVittie) Anderson; educated in Detroit public and high schools; married at Detroit, June 5, 1899, Elizabeth Maude Ross. Has been general manager Anderson Forge and Machine Co. since 1905; also secretary and treasurer Anderson Tool and Supply Co., manufacturers of drop forgings, engine crank shafts, cold chisels and plumbers tools, with which he has been connected for past 16 years. Member Detroit Builders and Traders Exchange (director, 1905-06), Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Ashlar Lodge No. 91, F. & A. M., Peninsular Chapter No. 16, R.A. M. Monroe Council No. 1, R. S. M. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Commercial. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 27 St. Aubin Av. Residence: 769 E. Fort St.
ANDERSON, Willis Sidney, physician; born, Dansville, N. Y., Oct. 16, 1868; son of Abel M. and Martha (Sawens) Anderson; educated in public schools of Utica, N. Y., and in Medical Department, Columbia University, New York City, graduating, M. D., 1891; unmarried. Has practiced in Detroit since 1891; laryngologist to Harper Hospital. Member American Medical Association, American Laryngological, Rhynological and Otological Society, Michigan State and Wayne County Medical societies. Clubs: Detroit Boat, Fellowcraft. Office: 606 Washington Arcade. Residence: 416 4th Av.
ANDRE, Anthony J., wholesale grocer; born, Detroit, Apr. 18, 1873; son of Anthony and Clara (Leyhman) Andre; educated at St. Josephs School, Detroit; married at Detroit, Apr., 1905, Emma Puff. Began active career, 1889, in employ of James Nall & Co., house furnishings, etc.; then was with George W. Larkins & Co., lumber merchants; commenced in 1890 as clerk with Peter Henkel Co., wholesale grocers, wines, etc., became traveling salesman and since 1897, when firm was reorganized as the Edward Henkel Co., has been vice president and director of the company. Catholic. Recreation: Horseback riding. Office: 157 Randolph St. Residence: 273 E. Warren Av.
ANDREW, Ed. P., manager Farrand Co.; born, Hoosic Falls, N. Y., May 12, 1861; son of Edwin and Susan Elizabeth (Bray) Andrew; educated in Ludington (Mich.) High School; married at Grand Rapids, Mich., Mar. 31, 1883, Annetta Louise Knight. Began active career upon leaving school, 1879, as a traveling salesman for S. A. Maxwell & Co., Chicago, continuing until 1882; in business as partner in firm of F. W. Andrew & Co., Ludington, 1882-87; on road for the Farrand Co., manufacturers of pianos and organs, 1887-1905, and has been manager of the companys retail stores, Detroit, since 1905. Republican. Member Masonic order, R. A. M.; Elks, K. of P., N. U., R. A., U. C. T. Recreation: Sailing. Office: 178 Woodward Av. Residence: 30 Atkinson Av.
ANDREWS, Charles James, northern sales agent Sunday Creek Co., miners and shippers of coal; born, Washington, D. C., Dec. 20, 1868; son of John R. and Elizabeth (Milliken) Andrews; educated at Thornton Academy, Saco, Me.; married, Saco, June 2, 1891, Miss Laura A. Tibbetts. Engaged in railway service with C., S. & H. Ry., 1889-97; began in coal business, at Toledo, O., 1897, and removed to Detroit, 1902; was manager Detroit Coal Clearing House, 1902-05, since then northern sales agent Sunday Creek Co., Columbus, O., miners and shipper of Ohio and West Virginia coals. Member of Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Office: 1333 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 60 Horton Av.
ANDRUS, Frank Davis, lawyer; born, Washington, Mich., Aug 21, 1850; son of Loren and Lucina (Davis) Andrus; graduate Detroit High School, 1868; University of Michigan, Literary Department, B. A., 1872, M. A., 1875; Law Department, same university, B. L., 1879; married at Saginaw, Nov. 23, 1880, Julia J. Goodson. Began practice in Detroit, 1880; in partnership with John B. Corliss as Corliss & Andrus, 1882; Corliss, Andrus & Leete, 1886; Corliss, Andrus, Leete & Joslyn, 1901; withdrew from firm, 1905, and has since been alone; practice general, business largely probate. Director and general counsel Michigan Alaska Development Co. Republican. Member Board of Estimates of City of Detroit continuously since 1890 (president, 1895). Member Detroit Bar Association, Michigan Bar Association. Episcopalian. Scottish Rite Mason (32° ), Knight Templar, Shriner. Club: Old Club. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 214 Moffat Blk. Residence: Addison Apts.
ANDRUS, Frederick H.; born, Washington, Mich.; son of Truman R. and Elizabeth (Hothan) Andrus; public school education; married at Chicago, Nov. 9, 1893, Inin Louise Marsh. Began active career at Jackson, Mich., in employ of Michigan Central R. R.; became connected with Standard Paper Co., wholesale paper, Milwaukee, Wis., 1884; removed to Chicago, 1888, and acted as credit man for A. G. Spalding & Bros., 1888-1902; has been identified with interests of the Whitney estate, Detroit, since 1902. Republican. Clubs: Detroit, country, Racquet and Curling. Office: 512 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 202 Seminole Av.
ANDRUS, Ward Loren, merchandise broker; born, Washington, Mich., July 13, 1852, son of Loren and Lucina (Davis) Andrus; educated in public schools of Washington and at Detroit Business University; married at Buffalo, N. Y., Aug. 17, 1878, Mrs. Ella McWhorter Schwartz. Began active career, 1871, in wholesale grocery house of D. D. Mallory & Co., continuing until 1885, when he bought out the firm; associated himself with Gilbert W. Lee and continued in the business; disposed of interest, 1890, and conducted wholesale grocery on own account until 1907, since which time he has engaged in merchandise brokerage as Ward L. Andrus & Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Recreations: Fishing and boating. Office: 16 Campau Bldg. Residence: 550 Brush St.
ANGELL, Alexis Caswell, lawyer; born, Providence, R. I., Apr. 26, 1857; son of James B. and Sarah S. (Caswell) Angell; educated in public schools of Burlington, Vt., Ann Arbor, Mich., and University of Michigan, graduating A. B., 1878, LL. B., 1880; married June 6, 1880, Fanny C. Cooley. Was admitted to the bar, 1879, and has practiced in Detroit since 1880; member firm of Wells, Angell, Boynton & McMillan, 1892-02, and of Angell, Boynton, McMillan & Bodman since 1902. Director Detroit City Gas Co., Detroit and Buffalo Steamboat Co. Club: Country. Office: 703 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 49 Watson St.
ANGELL, George Hall, paintings and photographic supplies; born Detroit, Aug. 3, 1874; son of George R. and Sarah (Hall) Angell; educated in public schools of Detroit and University of Michigan, graduating, degree of B. L., 1894. Has been identified since the beginning of his active career with the art business established by his father in 1863 as the George R. Angell Co., Ltd. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Country, University, Detroit Boat. Recreations: Golf, riding and yachting. Office; Fine Arts Bldg. Residence: The Pasadena.
ANGUS, Samuel Floyd; born, Prairie Depot, O., Apr., 1855; son of Stephen and Lillie (Atkinson) Angus; widower. Began active career in mercantile business, in Ohio. Came to Detroit in 1893 and engaged in insurance business as manager of National Life Insurance Co.; afterward was manager of Home Life Insurance Co.; entered promotion and construction of electric railways; built Toledo, Fremont & Norwalk R. R., and was its first president; sold out his interests in Ohio; promoted and constructed Detroit, Ypsilanti, Ann Arbor & Jackson R. R. (extending from Detroit to Jackson, 79 miles), of which became treasurer; sold out interests and retired, Jan, 1907, and has since confined his attention to investments. Republican. Member Masonic order, Knights Templar, Club: Detroit. Recreations: Horses and driving. Office: 910 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 59 E. Ferry Av.
ANKETELL, Thomas Jackson, wholesale and retail lumber dealer; born Windham, Conn.; son of Rev. John (D. D.) and Marie Louise (Butterfield) Anketell; educated at Trinity School, New York City, and Shattuck School, Faribault, Minn.; married in Illinois, May 4, 1892, Elizabeth Moss Mills. President Anketell Lumber Co., organized Aug. 1, 1893, and Anketell Lumber and Coal Co.; director Truman Moss State Bank. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Masonic order. Clubs: Detroit, Automobile, Country (Detroit); Calumet (Chicago). Recreations: Lover of horses, cats and dogs. Office: 1033 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 919 Jefferson Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
Powered by counter.bloke.com
This page was last updated on Thurs, 30-March-2000 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN