THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 43 - 47
|Special Thanks to
Linda Bakken for transcribing these pages .
BALDWIN, Frank Conger, architect; born, Galesburg, Ill, June 13, 1869; son of Charles Edward and Alta (Conger) Baldwin; educated at Massachusetts Institute of Technology; married at Boston, June 24, 1896, Lilian E. Edson. Has been engaged in profession at Detroit since 1890; member firm of Stratton & Baldwin, architects, organized, 1893. Director American Harrow Co., Pacific Era Publishing Co. President Michigan Chapter American Institute of Architects, president Detroit Architectural Club. Member Phi Gamma Delta. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Riding, Detroit Boat, Country, University. Recreations: Hunting, yachting. Office: 1103 Union Trust Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.
BALDWIN, Henry Porter, shoe manufacturer and dealer; born, Cohoes, N. Y., Jan. 24, 1845; son of Samuel H. and Sarah B. Baldwin; educated in private schools of New York State. Came to Detroit, 1886; entered the house with which he has since been connected as clerk; became traveling salesman, member of the firm, H. P. Baldwin & Co., 1871, the title becoming H. P. Baldwin, 2nd, & Co., 1878, and Baldwin, McGraw & Co., 1895, manufacturers and jobbers, boots and shoes and agents Boston Rubber Shoe Co. Director Old Detroit National Bank, Detroit Trust Co., Michigan Fire and Marine Insurance Co. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason. Club: Detroit Country. Office: 193-195 Jefferson Av., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe, Mich.
BALDWIN, James W., merchandise broker; born Cambridge, Mass., Aug. 1, 1853; son of James W. and Hannah (Bean) Baldwin; educated in public and private schools at Cambridge and Boston; married at Detroit, 1880, Myra Moore. Began career with wholesale fish house, Boston, and traveled for same house until 1881; has been engaged as broker, grocer's stocks, at Detroit, since 1881. Republican. Protestant. Office: Foot 1st St. Residence: 60 Atkinson Av.
BALDWIN, Stephen, president Detroit Creamery Co.; born, Lincoln, Eng., July 31, 1836; son of Thomas and Hannah (Pickering) Baldwin; came to America with parents, who located at Chautauqua Lake, N. Y., 1835; moved to Oakland Co., Mich., 1836; educated in public schools of Pontiac, Mich., and at Corson's Select School, Birmingham, Mich.; married at Pontiac, October, 1868, Miss Gertrude Hovey. Lived on farm in Oakland Co. until 17 and later taught school in the same county; entered employ of Flower & Newton, agricultural implements, Pontiac, 1861, and engaged in produce and commission business in Pontiac on own account until 1864; in oil regions of Pennsylvania, 1864-66; one of the organizers and director Second National Bank, Pontiac, and also engaged in buying timber lands, 1865-69; moved to Detroit and became interested in Detroit Paper Co., 1870; withdrew from paper business and assisted in organizing Edson, Moore & Co., wholesale dry goods, 1872; one of the organizers of the wholesale millinery house of Black, Mitchell & Co., 1883; since 1867 extensively interested in lumber operations and was member of firm of Baldwin & Nelson; now practically retired from active business affairs, but retains positions as president Detroit Creamery Co. and Detroit Column and Manufacturing Co. Office: 304 Whitney Bldg. Residence: 3 Madison Av.
BALL, Linn Bradbury, sales manager American Chain and Foundry Co., born, New Berlin, N. Y., Feb. 21, 1859; son of Ira Kellogg and Mary Arbrosia (Angell) Ball; educated in public schools of New Berlin and at New Berlin Academy; married, Dec. 13, 1887, Ela L. Palmer. Engaged in mining and railroading in Nevada, 1879-86, later entered chain manufacturing which he followed at Bridgeport, Conn., and Milwaukee, Wis.; came to Detroit, 1896, in same business, and has been sales manager of the American Chain and Foundry Co. since Sept. 1, 1907; also treasurer and manager Michigan Sprocket Chain Co. Member Co. C, Nevada National Guard, 1884. Republican. Member Detroit Board of Trade. Mason, Knight Templar, Shiner; member Knights of Puthias, Royal League. Recreation: Baseball. Office: 508-509 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 468 Campbell Av.
BALLIN, Max, surgeon; born Nordhausen, Germany, Aug. 13, 1869; son of Jacob and Clementina (Oppenborn) Ballin; educated in Gymnasium of Nordhausen and at Universities of Freiburg, Munich and Berlin; graduate University of Berlin, degree of M. D., 1892; began practice in Berlin, Germany, 1892; came to America, 1896; married at Leadville, Colo., July 10, 1901, Carrie Leppel. Has practiced in Detroit since 1901; consulting surgeon Harper Hospital, Member Wayne County Medical Society, Michigan State Medical Society, American Medical Association, Detroit Academy of Medicine. Recreations: Outdoor diversions. Office: 271 Woodward Av. Residence: 24 Bagg St.
BAMLET, Frank H., real estate; born Detroit, April. 18, 1860; son of George and Mary (Wells) Bamlet; educated in public and high schools, 1867-77, and commercial college, Detroit, 1877-78; married at Lansing, Mich., Mar. 29, 1882, Hattie A. Shank. Began active career as clerk in lawyer's office and justice court, where he studied law, 1878-79; in retail jewelry business for himself, 1879-85, and began in building business, 1885, in which he has since been interested, in connection with real estate enterprises; owner of the Bamlet Building and other buildings and residences in the city. President Bamlet Building Co.; chairman board of directors Parkview Land Co. Member Detroit of Estate Board, Board of Commerce. Member Detroit Board of Estimates, 1890-91. Republican. Methodist. Member Masonic order, American Insurance Union. Club: Wayne. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 501 Bamlet Bldg. Residence: 2429 Woodward Av., Detroit, and Groose Ile, Mich.
BARBOUR, Edwin S., manufacturer; born, Collinsville, Conn., May 11, 1870; son of George Harrison and Katherine (Hawley) Barbour; educated in Detroit public schools and Hales Preparatory School, Boston; married, Detroit, Oct. 15, 1901, Edith F. Henry. Became identified with the Michigan Stone Co., 1890, of which is assistant treasurer and director; also director the Ireland & Matthews Manufacturing Co., and of Mitchell-Schiel Co., manufactures of specialty shoes. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Fine Arts Society. Clubs: Yondotega, Detroit Country, Detroit Boat. Recreations: Country sports, golf, riding, ect. Office: 1022 Jefferson Av. Residence: 1707 Jefferson A.
BARBOUR, George Harrison, 1st vice president and general manager Michigan Stove Co., born, Collinsville, Conn. June 26, 1843; son of Samuel and Phoebe (Beckwith) Barbour; educated in public schools of Connecticut; married at Collinsville, June 26, 1869, Kate Hawley. Began active career, 1861, in partnership with his farther (later Goodman & Barbour), dry goods, groceries, ect., Collinsville; sold out his business and located in Detroit, July, 1872; invested in Michigan Stove Co., manufacturers of "Garland" stoves and ranges, gas ranges and heaters, and was secretary of the company, 1872-86; 1st vice president and general manager since 1886. President The Michigan Copper and Brass Co., Ireland & Matthews Manufacturing Co.; director People's Savings Bank, Dime Savings Bank (vice-president), Michigan fire and Marine Insurance Co., Detroit Museum of Art, etc. Member National Stove Manufacturers' Association. Formerly alderman 2nd ward. Liberal Democrat. Clubs: Detroit (ex-president), Country, Fellowcraft. Recreation: Trout fishing and fond of fine horses. Office: 1022 Jefferson Av., Detroit. Residence: 134 Lafayette Blvd. Detroit; summer residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.
BARBOUR, Levi L., lawyer; born, Monroe, Mich., Aug. 14, 1840; son of John and Betsey (Morton) Barbour; educated in Battle Creek (Mich.) High Shool; University of Michigan, Literary Department, A. B., 1863; Law Department, same university, LL. B., 1865; degree of A. M., same university, 1870; married at Saginaw, Nov. 23, 1880, Harriett E. Hooper. Has engaged in practice at Detroit since 1866; member of firm of Barobur & Field. Director and attorney Citizens' Savings Bank. Member Board of Corrections and Charities four years; member Board of Regents, University of Michigan, ten years, 1892-97 and 1902-07. Republican. Mason. Clubs: Detroit, University, Prismatic. Recreation: Traveling. Office: 30-31 Buhl Blk. Residence: 661 Woodward Avenue.
BARBOUR, William Tefft, president Detroit Stove Works; born, Detroit, Apr. 4, 1877; son of Edwin S. and Ella (tefft) Barbour; graduate Phillips Academy, Andover, Mass., 1895; married at Detroit, June 10, 1902, Miss Margaret Chittenden. Began active career, 1895, as purchasing agent of the Detroit Stove Works, became vice president and has been president of the company since 1897. Also president Northern Motor Car Co.; director People's State Bank. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Boat, Automobile. Recreations: Shooting and fishing. Office: 1320-1360 Jefferson Av., Detroit. Residence: Birmingham, Mich.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thursday, March 30, 2000. 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN