THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary
of Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Special Thanks to Linda Bakken for transcribing these pages .
BIELMAN, Charles F., secretary and traffic manager White Star Line; born, Detroit, Apr. 20, 1859; son of Frederick and Ellen (Daley) Beilman; educated in public schools of Casco, Mich., until 12; married at Detroit, Jan. 22, 1890. Was clerk in general store and postoffice at Marine City, Mich., 1873-79; purser Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Co's steamers, 1879-86; has been secretary and traffic manager Star-Cole and White Star Lines since 1886. Also secretary and treasurer The Stewart Transportation Co. since 1892. Member Detroit Board of Commerce (president, 1905-06). Republican. Clubs: Detroit, Harmonie, Detroit Whist (president Michigan Whist Association). Recreation: Whist. Office Foot of Griswold St. Residence: 285 Hancock Av., W.
BIGELOW, Albert E., retired; born, Wayne Co., Mich., July 13, 1840; son of William C. and Sarah A. (Prindle) Bigelow; educated in district school of Wayne Co.; married, Marquette, Mich., 1882, Miss Lydia Houk. Began active career in retail lumber business, in Detroit, 1868, and continued until 1897, when he retired to devote his attention to private real estate and other interests. Enlisted in Co. 1, 24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry, Cival War, and served 21/2 years as sergeant, Army of the Potomac; honorably mustered out, 1864. Republican. Baptist. Member Masonic order, Knights Templar (Detroit Commandery No. 1), Detroit Post No. 384, G.A.R. Office: 511 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 821 Northwest Blvd.
BIGG, Arthur Henry, physician; born, Swansea, Wales, June 1, 1841; son of George and Joan (Clement) Bigg; came to America, 1848; educated at Bloomfield and Greenbush (Ont.) district schools; Catholic parochial school and Picton grammar school, 1854-60; graduate Detroit Medical College, M.D., 1881; post-graduate course New York Post Graduate School, 1885; married, Woodhull, Mich., Nov. 24, 1864, Miss Adaline Euphemia Wyckoff. Was assistant pharmacist to Dr. C. P. Parkill, Owosso, Mich., Apr., 1872-1876; conducted drug store at 337 St. Aubin Av., Detroit, Nov., 1876-Aug., 1883, and at 225 St. Aubin Av., Aug., 1883-Oct., 1888; medical practice since 1881. Member Detroit Academy of Medicine, Wayne County Medical Society, Michigan State Medical Society, American Medical Association. Was township clerk of Woodhull, Mich., 1867. Independent in politics. Congregationalist. Member Royal Arcanum. Recreation: Literature. Office: 271 Woodward Av. Residence: The Madison Apartments.
BIGGERS, William David, manager the Continental Co.; born, St. Louis, July 1, 1864; son of David A. and Rebecca J. (Lowry) Biggers; educated in public and high schools, St. Louis; married at St. Louis, Oct. 6, 1887, Emma M. Fisse. Began active Career, 1883, in employ of the Simmons Hardware Co., St. Louis, advancing for 19 years through various positions, resigning position of buyer to become secretary and manager of the Walter A. Zelnicker Supply Co.; resigned from this position Dec. 1, 1904, and became manufacturers' agent for hardware trade; removed to Detroit, Oct. 1, 1906 as secretary of The Continental Co., manufacturers of screen doors and window screens for hardware jobbing trade, and has also been general manager of the company since Apr., 1907. Member school board, Webster Groves, Mo., 1900-02. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, Royal Arcanum. Recreations: Golf and baseball. Office: 1120 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 80 Hague Av.
BILLINGHURST, Allen D., state manager Union Mutual Life Insurance Co., of Portland, Me.; born, Albion, Mich., July 21, 1871; son of Edwin D. and Frank C. (Bull) Billinghurst; educated at Albion College, Mich.; married at Detroit, Oct. 10, 1904, Minnie S. Williams. Lived on farm until 1893; was on road as traveling salesman for commercial houses until 1902, when he became manager state of Michigan for the Union Mutual Life Insurance Co. Democrat. Recreation: Fishing. Office: 1120-1123 Chamber of Commerce Bldg. Residence: 1654 2nd Av.
BIRD, Seaman Leggett, clothier; born, Clintonville, Mich., July 8, 1862; son of John A. and Sarah E. (Woodhull) Bird; educated in public schools of Oakland Co., Mich.; married at Pontiac, Mich., 1885, Kate C. Waldo. Has been engaged in the clothing business continuously since the beginning of his active career, in 1882, first at Pontiac and later at Detroit, St. Paul, and with The Hub and Mandel Bros., Chicago, returning to Detroit, 1903, to enter into partnership with R.H. Traver, the firm being Traver-Bird Co., since spring of 1904. (At time of leaving Chicago was offered by Mandel bros. probably the largest money consideration ever made a clothing manager and buyer, viz., $25,000 a year, to remain with the company as buyer of over $1,000,000 worth of clothing annually), Member Detroit of Commerce. Republican in politics. Congregationalist in religious affiliation. Member Masonic order (32), Y.M.C.A., B.P.O.E. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Rushmere, Detroit Golf, Detroit Automobile. Recreations: Golf, automobiling, billiards. Office: 171-175 Woodward Av. Residence: 152 Putnam Av.
BISHOP, John Remsen, educator; born, New Brunswick, N. J., Sept. 17, 1860; son of James and Mary (Ellis) Bishop; educated in German schools, 1870-73; St. Paul's School, Concord, N.H., 1873-79; student Yale Univ., 1879-81; A.B., Harvard, 1882; post-graduate study, University of Cincinnati, 1900-03, Ph. D., 1903; married at Trenton, N.J., July 9, 1885, Anna Bartram Newbold. Instructor in Greek and English, St. Paul's School, Concord, N.H. 1882-83; head master Princeton (N.J.) Preparatory School, 1883-7; instructor Hughes High School, Cincinnati, 1888-95; principal Walnut Hill High School, Cincinnati, 1895-1904, principal Eastern High School, Detroit, since 1904; manager auxiliary department University Extension Work, Cincinnati, 1893-1903. Episcopalian. Member National Educational Association, American Philological Association, American Social Science Association, education associations of Michigan and Detroit, Sons of American Revolution. Recreation: Yachting Office: Eastern High School. Residence: 986 Jefferson Av.
BISHOP, Matthew H., lawyer; born, Reedsburg, Wis., June 14, 1874; son of Paul and Margaret (Yerk) Bishop; educated in public and high schools, Reedsburg, graduating, 1891; University of Wisconsin, 1891-92; Detroit College of Law, graduating, degree of LL.B., 1899; married at Detroit, Oct. 6, 1904, Mabel E. Reaume. Was admitted to the bar, 1899, and practiced alone until 1902, member firm of Flowers, Moloney & Bishop, 1902-04, and Moloney & Bishop since 1904. Assistant prosecuting attorney, Detroit, 1904-07. Member Detroit Bar Association, Michigan State Bar Association. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Masonic order (32), Knights Templar, Shrine. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 814-815 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 749 Trumbull Avenue.
BISSELL, John Henry, lawyer; born, Lyons, N.Y., Feb. 22 1846; son of William Henry Augustus and Martha Cotton (Moulton) Bissell; educated at Walnut Hill School and Hobart College, Geneva, receiving degree of M.A., 1869; married, Geneva, June 30, 1869, Annie A. Soverhill. Studied law and was admitted to the bar in Vermont, 1870, New York, 1871, Michigan, 1872, Supreme Court of U.S., 1881; practiced in Geneva, N.Y.,1870-71; removed to Detroit, Feb., 1872; member of firm of Miller, Bissell & Sibley, 1876-95, has since practiced alone. Director and treasurer The Ideal Manufacturing Co.; director The Edison Illuminating Co., of Detroit, The Peninsular Electric Light Co.; member Michigan Fish Commission, 1883-89. President American Fisheries Society and of the Michigan Forestry Association; member American Historical Society, American Forestry Association, American Bar Association, Sigma Phi. Club: Prismatic. Recreations: Fishing and forestry. Office: 25-29 Bank Chambers. Residence: 649 Jefferson Av.
BLACK, Clarence A., manufacturer; one of the organizers of the Cadillac Motor Car Co., and is now vice president of the company. With others, built the Detroit, Monroe & Toledo Short Line, now part of the Detroit United Railway. Director Old Detroit National Bank. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 1065 Woodward Av.
BLACK, George M., manufacturer and transportation official. Secretary and treasurer Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Co.; assistant treasurer Detroit & Buffalo Steamboat Co.; treasurer Detroit Seamless Bath Tub Co., Monarch Steel Castings Co., secretary McMillian Estate, Michigan Malleable Iron Co., The Detroit Hotel Co., Ponchartain Hotel Co.; assistant treasurer Grace Hospital; vice chairman Michigan Sprocket Chain Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 92 Forest Av., W.
BLACK, Maurice, merchant; born at Toledo. O., Sept. 30, 1873; son of Alexander and Theresa Black; educated at Leland Stanford University and at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, graduating, 1896; married at Manawa, Wis., Aug. 18, 1906, Elizabeth Van Adestine. President, treasurer and manager The L. Black Co., optical photo and jewelry goods, wholesale and retail. Club: Detroit Yacht. Office: 156 Woodward Av. Residence: 655 2nd Av.
BLACKFORD, William H., vice president Detroit Casket Co.; born, Paw Paw, Mich., Feb. 1, 1859; son of John and Ann (Hutchins) Blackford; educated in public schools; married at Detroit, 1902, Leonette Plumer. Lived on a farm until 18; came to Detroit, 1882, and assisted in organizing the Detroit Casket Co., of which he has since been vice president. Vice president Toledo Casket Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Office: 185 Congress St., W. Residence: 672 24th St.
BLACKMAN, Frank H., insurance; born, Eddington, Me., Dec. 29, 1842; son of Francis and Rachel (Garland) Blackman; educated in common schools and at Westbrooke Seminary; married at New York City, Dec. 6, 1868, Ida M. Thompson. Enlisted in 14th Maine Volunteers, 1861, and served three years in Cival War; was in 22 engagements and skirmishes and volunteered in three forlorn hopes; mustered out as captain; was member Michigan State Militia, 11 years, and coloned 3rd Regiment, Michigan National Guard. Took course in business college at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., at close of the war and taught in same college one year; was in clothing store in New York City untill obliged to seek a change of climate on account of ill health; removed to Bay City, Mich., 1870, and engaged in clothing business; came to Detroit, 1881, and has since been identified with insurance business. Senior member Blackman, Glass & Cook, general insurance; president Steel Cooperage Co., Detroit Automatic Sterilizer Co., director Huettman & Cramer Co., Detroit Twist Drill Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Congregationalist (during his residence at Bay City was directly instrumental in establishing there the 1st Congregational church). Member Loyal Legion, Y.M.C.A. (director about 8 years). Recreation: Traveling. Office: 208-209 Moffat Blk. Residence: Du Nord Apts.
BLACKWELL, Henry, department store; born, Limerick, Ireland, Apr. 1, 1861; son of Henry and Mary (Sheehy) Blackwell; educated in National schools of Ireland; married, Ireland, 1888, Mary A. Quaide. Began active career, 1878, as clerk in mecantile house in Limerick; came to America, 1890, and lived in New York City for two years; located in Detroit, 1892, and was for a number of years identified with Partridge & Co.; joined with Mr. Partridge, 1901, in organizing the general merchandise firm of Partridge & Blackwell, of which has since been junior partner; vice president Safety Folding Bed Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus, Knights of Equity, A.O.H., C.M.B.A. Office: Cor. Gratiot and Farmer Sts. Residence: 53 Garfield Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thursday, March 30, 2000. 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN