THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 67 - 69
Special Thanks to Linda Bakken for transcribing these pages.
BODEN, John Mucklow, real estate and building; born, Southfield, Mich., Jan. 27, 1842; son of Thomas and Mary Ann (Mucklow) Boden; educated in district schools of Redford and Southfield and in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, Oct. 7, 1872, Miss Lottie E. Anscomb. Began active career as collection clerk of State Bank of Michigan, May 15, 1862, continuing with its successor, the First National, as collection teller until resigned, June, 1885; also during this time was member of grocery firm of F.D. Hart & Co., 1871-76, and bought out the Scotch Tea Store, 1878, and operated as Boden & Co., for three years; removed to Northville, Mich., 1885, and organized and was president and treasurer Boden Condensed Milk Co.; sold out and returned to Detroit,1887; engaged successfully in grocery business as W.H. Anscomb & Co., 1888-1907; in real estate and building since July 1, 1907. Trustee and treasurer Trumbull Av. Presbyterian Church. Democrat. Recreation: Expect to do a little traveling. Residence: 547 Trumbull Av.
BODMAN, Henry E., lawyer; born, Toledo, O.; graduate University of Michigan, Ph, B., 1896. Admitted to practice law at Toledo, O., 1897, and removed to Detroit the same year; member of law firm of Angell, Boynton, McMillan & Bodman since 1902. Member Michigan State Bar Association, Detroit Bar Association, Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, University. Office: 703 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 169 Van Dyke Av.
BOGART, Frank E., vice president Farrand, Williams & Clark; born in Lenox Co., Ont., Aug. 4, 1865; son of Abram L. and Helen (Hawley) Bogart; educated in public schools of Ontario; married at Saginaw, Mich., 1896, Susie B. Shaw. Began in drug business with Barrick, Roller & Co., Philadelphia, 1885; came to Detroit, 1888, as traveling salesman for Farrand, Williams & Co., wholesale druggists, and continued with its successor, Farrand, Williams & Clark, of which has been vice president since it incorporation. Office: 11 Larned St., E. Residence: 85 Haigh Av.
BOGUE, George G., wholesale hardware, cutlery and sporting goods; born, Pittsford, Vt., Feb. 26, 1854; son of Bishop C. and S. Cordelia (Garfield) Bogue; educated in district school of North Bloomfield, N.Y., and at Clinton Liberal Institute, Clinton, N.Y., married, 1st at Paw Paw, Mich., Oct. 14, 1880, Clara A. Martin (died, May 18, 1903); 2nd, at Chicago, Sept. 16, 1905, Mrs. Martha H. Bogue (nee Harris). Came to Michigan and began active career as clerk with A.P. Gardner, Albion, Mich., 1873; entered employment of Free & Martin, Paw Paw, Mich., 1874; came to Detroit and was connected with Buhl, DuCharme & Co., 1876-79, DuCharme, Fletcher & Co., 1879-85; became partner in the firm, 1885, sold out his interest, 1898; bought interest in business of Standart Brothers, Ltd., 1899, and has been vice chairman of the company since Jan., 1902. Republican. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Rushmere. Recreations: Fishing, boating, launching. Office: 155-161 Woodbridge St. Residence: 697 Cass Av.
BOLLES, John Edward, proprietor and owner of J.E. Bolles Iron & Wire Works; born, Chelsea, Mich., Nov. 10, 1847; son of Frederick A. and Sarah (Wooster) Bolles; educated in public schools of Chelsea, Ypsilanti Seminary, and a graduate of Ann Arbor High School with advance preparation for Sophomore year in the State University; came to Detroit in 1866 and was identified with the dry goods business for six years. Married, 1st, Detroit, Mar. 6, 1872, Harriet F. Snow, deceased in 1895; 2nd marriage in Dearborn, May 14, 1901, to Miss Laura B. Whitmore. Began his career as a manufacturer in 1872--member of firm of Snow & Bolles; sold out his interest in 1877 and was in same line of business with E.T. Barnum until 1881; organized the firm of J.E. Bolles & Co. in 1882, which became the J.E. Bolles Iron & Wire Works in 1897, manufacturers of plain and ornamental iron and wire work. Since 1893 has been actively engaged in Organized Sunday School Work, 1st, as president of the Wayne County Sunday School Association,1894-5; leader in the Great Sunday School Rally Day Celebrations, held in Detroit, 1893-1899; president of the Michigan State Sunday School Association, 1902-03; continuously since, member of both County and State Executive committees; member of Central Methodist Episcopal Church, held various official positions in same, including superintendent of the Sunday School, 1893-6. One of the incorporators of the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Children; member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican in politics. Recreation: Lake Orion Assembly Resort, Sunday School work and traveling. Office: Corner Fourth and Porter Sts. Residence: 948 Cass Av.
BOND, Fred M., lawyer; born, St. John's, Mich., Jan. 18, 1878; son of John S. and Marie M. (Otrey) Bond; educated in district school; public and high schools of Farmington, Mich.; Law Department, University of Michigan, degree of LL. B., 1901; married at Farmington, Sept. 15, 1903, Anna E. Wolfe. Has engaged in practice of law since June, 1901. Circuit court commissioner Oakland Co., Mich., 1904-06; secretary The Hoffman Home Realty Co., since June 1, 1907. Member Detroit Bar Association. Republican. Methodist. Member Masonic order. Recreation: Outdoor sports, Office: 724-725 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: Gd. River Av., 1st house outside city limits, Detroit.
BONNING, Carl, physician; born, Felsberg, Germany, Jan. 26, 1885; son of Wilhelm and Marie (Diederich) Bonning; educated in public and private schools of Germany; universities of Marburg and Strassburg, degree of M.D., Dec. 30, 1882; married, Detroit, Dec. 26, 1885, Hermine C. Kiefer. Has engaged in practice at Detroit since April, 1883. Member American Medical Association, Michigan State, and Wayne County Medical societies. Republican. Address: 99 E. High St.
BOOK, James B., physician; born, Toronto, Can., Nov 7, 1843; son of Jonathan J. and Hannah P. (Smith) Book; educated at Milton grammer school; matriculated in Medical Department Victoria University, Toronto; received degree of M.D., from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, 1865; married at Detroit, 1889, Clotilde Palms. After graduating in medicine, spent 2 years in Europe, half of the time at Guy's Hospital Medical School, London, and the remainder of the time in attendance at clinics in Paris and Vienna; located in Detroit, 1867, and practiced until 1892, since which time he has devoted his attention to his real estate interests. Director Commercial National Bank. Member American Medical Association, Michigan State Medical Society, Wayne Co. Medical Society. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Country, Detroit Boat, Office: Campau Bldg. Residence: The Palms.
BOOTH, Clarence G., vice president and general manager Pressed Steel Sanitary Manufacturing Co.; born, Toronto, Ont.; son of George and Myrtilla Camellia (Smith) Booth; educated at Model School and collegiate institute, Toronto; married at Toronto, June 30, 1898, Clara Mary Coleman. Began in business in Toronto with firm of Booth & Son, coppersmiths, 1890, the firm later becoming The Booth Copper Co., with which he continued until Dec., 1897; came to Detroit as manager of the Steel Bath Manufacturing Co., and in Feb., 1900, bought out the company and conducted business under his own name until Feb., 1907; then organized the Pressed Steel Sanitary Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of porcelain enameled seamless steel bath tubs. President Peerless Heater Valve Co., Flint, Mich.; treasurer The Booth Cooper Co., Ltd., Toronto, Can. Recreations: Outdoor sports, reading. Office: 450 Franklin Av. Residence: 31 Euclid Av.
BOOTH, Edwin J., secretary Michigan Fire and Marine Insurance Co.; born, Enfield, Conn., Apr. 9, 1864; son of John R. and Julia T. (Heath) Booth; educated in public schools; married, Detroit, Apr., 1890, Jessie Crawford. Began active career, Apr., 1881, at age of 17, in the office of the Michigan Fire and Marine Insurance Co.; was appointed assistant secretary, 1891, and has been secretary of the company since 1901. Member Detroit Fire Underwriters' Association. Republican. Presbyterian. Club: Detroit Boat. Recreation: Fishing. Office: Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 51 Stimson Pl.
BOOTH, George G., publisher; born, Toronto, Can., Sept. 24, 1864; son of Henry Wood and Clara L. (Gagnier) Booth; educated in public schools of Toronto until 1872, and at St. Thomas, Ont., until 1881; married at Detroit, June 1, 1887, Ellen Warren Scripps. Began in manufacturing business, 1883, and conducted it successfully under his own name; sold out to engage in newspaper business as manager Detroit Evening News, Aug., 1888, and became president of the company, 1906; established Evening Press, Grand Rapids, Mar., 1893, and with associates, purchased Times-Press, Bay City, 1904; was for several years principal owner of the Chicago Journal, purchased from John R. Wilson. President The Evening New Association, Detroit, The Evening Press Co., Grand Rapids, The Bay City Times Co., Bay City, Mich.; vice president The James E. Scripps Corporation, Detroit; also executor of estate of James E. Scripps (principal owner The Detroit News and a large property owner of Detroit). Club: Detroit. Recreation: Home life on country estate. Office: 65 Shelby St., Detroit. Residence: 605 Trumbull Av., Detroit; country residence: Cranbrook, Birmingham P.O., Mich.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thursday, March 30, 2000. 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN