THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 83 - 85
Special Thanks to Linda Bakken for transcribing these pages .
BROWN, David A., president People's Ice Co.; born, Edinburgh, Scotland, Nov. 3, 1875; son of Morris and Charlott (Levy) Brown; came to Detroit, 1880; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, Nov. 3, 1904, Miss Paula Kahn. Began in coal business on his own account almost at the beginning of his active career; organized the Brown & Brown Coal Co., of which is vice president, treasurer and manager, 1896, and the People's Ice Co., 1903, of which is president, treasurer and manager. Director Way Ear Drum Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, Knights of Pythias. Club: Fellowcraft, Adcraft. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 294 Woodward Av. Residence: 12 Forest Av., E.
BROWN, Edwin C., railway official; born, New Hampshire, Feb. 15, 1831; son of Samuel C. and Martha (Johnson) Brown; educated in public schools of New Hampshire; married at Milwaukee, Wis., Jan. 3, 1858, Sarah P. Blake. Began railway career, 1852, as baggage man Milwaukee & Mississippi R.R. (now Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Ry.), promoted to freight conductor and passenger conductor; was passenger conductor Chicago & Northwestern Rd., 1856-65, master of transportation, 1865-70; was superintendent for Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R.R., in Iowa, 1870-74; division superintendent and assistant general superintendent Michigan Central Rd., at Jackson, Mich., 1874-82, and general superintendent, at Detroit, 1882-90; has been assistant to the president of the road since 1890. Republican. Protestant. Mason (32), Shriner, Recreations: Reading and baseball. Office: 15 Mich. Cent. Depot. Residence: 129 Alger Av.
BROWN, George Van Amber, physician; born, Leamington, Ont., Can., May 27, 1870; son of Richard A. and Victoria Adelaide (Setterington) Brown; educated in public schools of Leamington; Collegiate Institute, St. Thomas, Ont.; Detroit College of Medicine, 1891-94, M.D., 1894; post graduate courses Johns Hopkins University, 1902, and University of Michigan, 1906; married, Manton, Mich., Aug. 6, 1894, Carrie Adell Sloat. Began practice at Falmouth, Mich., 1894; has been in practice in Detroit since 1903. Member Wayne County Medical Society, Michigan State Medical Society, American Medical Association. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreations: Billards. Office: 270 Woodward Av. Residence: 27 Owen Av.
BROWN, Josephine H., real estate; born, Allendale, Durham Co., Eng., Nov. 9, 1861; son of Daniel J. and Mary (Henderson) Brown; attended school in England until 14 years of age; came to America, June 25, 1882; married at Windsor, Ont., Dec. 3, 1889, Annie Miller. Was street car conductor, 1885-92; kept an auction store four years and was in delivery business two years; has been engaged in real estate business since Jan. 2, 1901, and member firm of Brown & Smith since March, 1905. Republican. Member Foresters, Son of St. George. Recreations: Hunting and fishing. Office: 825 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 376 Sixth Av.
BROWN, La Verne C., coal and coke shipper; born, Tompkins, Mich., Apr. 26, 1879; son of John J. and Julia A. (Buck) Brown; educated in Ann Arbor (Mich.) High School; married at Detroit, Oct. 3, 1903, Mayme Catherine De Clark. In retail grocery business at Detroit,1897-1900; bookkeeper for coal firm, 1900-1904; has been member of firm of J.P. Moran & Co., wholesale dealers and jobbers of coal and coke, since June 1, 1904. Recreations: Fishing. Office: 1002 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 712 Sheridan Av.
BROWN, Mason L., civil engineer; born, Perry, Me., 1864; son of Levi Prescott and Susan (Lincoln) Brown; educated in high school, business college, and by special instruction by professor in Massachusetts Institute of Technology; married at Detroit, June 24, 1889, Marie Vanier. Began practice as civil engineer at Boston, 1882; came to Detroit, 1886; laid out and constructed Woodlawn, Forest Lawn and Holy Cross cemeteries, all in Detroit; cemetery at Jackson, and Elm Lawn cemetery, Bay City; also summer resorts at Mackinac, Les Cheneaux Islands, Traverse City, Grande Pointe, Long Lake, Pointe aux Barques; sewers at Coldwater, Wyandotte and Ford, etc.; waterworks at Ithaca, State Industrial Homes at Adrain and Ford; also extensively employed in designing eleven different lines of electric railways in Michigan, Ohio and New York State. Director Detroit & Adrain Traction Co.; treasurer Venice of America Land Co.; assistant county surveyor; city engineer Wyandotte, Mich.; village engineer Ford and River Rouge. Member Detroit Engineering Society. Club: Detroit Wheelmen. Republican. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 821-823 Chamber of Commerce Bldg. Residence: 292 Avery Av.
BROWN, Sheldon Ward, railway official; born, Leland, Ill., Apr. 17, 1858; son of Zacharia C. and Catharine A. (Sheldon) Brown; public school education; married at Chicago, 1883, Emma B. Erb. Began active career as telegraph operator Chicago, Burlington & Quincy R.R., at Leland, 1872; was operator in general office of the company, at Chicago, 1876-78; train dispatcher and chief dispatcher St. Louis division, 1878-86; out of service, 1886-01; train master Western Division Lake Shore and Michigan Southern R.R., 1901-03; assistant superintendent and same division and Indiana, Illinois & Iowa R.R., 1903-05; superintendent Western division, 1905, Eastern division, November, 1905-October, 1906; assistant general superintendent Lake Shore and Michigan Southern R.R., October, 1906-June, 1907; general superintendent Michigan Central R.R. since June 6, 1907. Republican. Office: 56 Mich. Cent. Depot. Residence: 30 King Av.
BROWN, William, manager at Detroit of the Philip Carey Manufacturing Co.; born Cleveland, O., Dec. 25, 1877; son of Nathan and Rose (Englander) Brown; educated in public schools of Cleveland; married, Detroit, Oct., 1904, Miss A. Krolik. Began active career in Cleveland, handling roofing materials; came to Detroit, 1901, and is manager of the Philip Carey Manufacturing Co., of Cincinnati, O., manufacturers of roofing and asbestos materials. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason(32), Shriner. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Phoenix. Office: 17 Jefferson Av. Residence: 372 John R St.
BRUSH, Frederick Fransworth, consulting engineer; born, Detroit, Aug. 19, 1877; son of Henry T. and Charlotte (Grosvenor) Brush; graduate Detroit High School; married at Detroit, June 4, 1903, Bessie Giddings. In office of Gilbert Wilkes, consulting engineer, 1896-97; in experimenting and testing department Sprague Electric Elevator Co., 1897-98; engaged in railway construction (Sprague Co.), 1898-1900; chief engineer Societe Francaise Sprague, Paris, France, 1900-02; consulting engineer, Detroit, since 1902; member firm of Brush, Allen & Anderson, consulting, mechanical and electrical engineers since Jan., 1905. Member American Society of Mechanical Engineers, American Institute of Electrical Engineers, Detroit Engineering Society. National Society of Stationary Engineers (honorary), Societe des Ingenieures Civil de France. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreations: Photography and stamp collecting. Office: 1330 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 42 Piquette Av.
BRYANT, Willard, music dealer and publisher; born, Logansport, Ind., Nov. 28, 1862; son of John and Mary L. (Smith) Bryant; educated in public schools of Hillsdale, Mich., and by home study; married at Eaton Rapids, Mich, Jan. 3, 1884, Minnie J. Slade. Entered professional ranks as cornist, 1882; teacher in Detroit Conservatory of Music, 1891-95; began in his own name, in 1897, as music dealer and manufacturer and importer of band instruments, in which has since continued. Served as musician in Third and Fourth Regiments, Michigan National Guard. Member Musicians' Protective and Benevolent Association. Member Masonic order, Knights of Pythias, Maccabees. Clubs: Fellowcraft. Office: 218 Woodward Av. Residence: 204 Palmer Av. E.
BRYANT, William G., lawyer; born, Brooklyn, N.Y., Mar. 29, 1875; son of Rev. William (D.D.) and Caroline (Jeffries) Byrant; educated in Marshalltown (Ia.) High School and University of Michigan, graduating from Literary Department, A.B., 1896, and from Law Department, L.L. B., 1896; married at Detroit, Mar. 15, 1904, Getrude M. Dix. Began practice of law at Mt. Clemens, Mich., 1897; has been in practice in Detroit since Jan. 1, 1900; member firm of Clark, Jones & Byrant. Was clerk of court Macomb County, Mich., Jan. 1, 1897-Jan. 1, 1900. Member of Detroit Bar Association. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreations: Football, baseball and automobiling. Office: 406-412 Hammond Bldg. Residence: The Washington, 502 Cass Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thursday, March 30, 2000. 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN