THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 88 - 91
Special Thanks to Linda Bakken for transcribing these pages .
BURGESS, James E., manufacturer; born, Woodstock, Ont., Nov. 13, 1866; son of Joseph L. and Harriet (Rounds) Burgess; educated at Woodstock College and Michigan College of Medicine and Surgery, graduating, degree of M.D., 1891; married at Wolverton, Ont., 1889, Gladys H. French. Came to Detroit, 1890; practiced medicine in Detroit, 1891-06, having attained an extensive practice when he retired from field of medicine in January, 1906, to devote his attention to business. Treasurer and assistant manager Northwestern Foundry and Supply Co., manufacturer of plumbers' cast iron specialties, established, 1900. Also president Spider Lake Mining Co. of Ontario. Member Wayne County Medical Society. Michigan State Medical Society, American Medical Association. Republican. Member Independent Order of Foresters. Recreation: Books. Office: Orleans and Grand Blvd. Residence: 1831 Woodward Av.
BURNETT, William H.C., manufacturer of perfumery; born, London, Ont., Oct. 2, 1866; son of George B. and Eliza J.G. (Miller) Burnett; public school education; married, Detroit, 1897, Alice E. Erb. For fifteen years acted as traveling representative and general western manager Gordon & Delworth, preserved fruits, New York City; located in Detroit, 1897, and assisted in organization of The Breathlets Co., manufacturer of perfumery, of which is president. Club: Chicago Athletic. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 15 Atwater St. Residence: 39 Gladstone Av.
BURNS, James Daniel, sheriff of Wayne Co.; born, Detroit (Spring Wells), July 28, 1865; son of Peter and Hanorah (Calaghan) Burns; public school education; married at Lansing, Mich., June 14, 1891, Kathleen Walsh. Began active career in brick yards owned by his father; engaged in manufacture of brick with two brothers, under title of Burns Brothers,1888-1904; has served as sheriff of Wayne Co. since 1895. Democrat. Catholic. Member Knights of Pytias, B.P.O.E., Harmonie Society. Recreation: Baseball (president of the first American League baseball club in Detroit, 1900-01). Office: Wayne County Bldg. Residence: Sheriff's Residence.
BURT, A. Judson, railway offical; born, Macomb Co., Mich., Nov. 6, 1847; son of William and Caroline (Curtis) Burt; educated in public schools. Began in railway service as general bookkeeper Michigan Central Rd., 1875; became chief clerk, 1882, continuing until 1890; assistant auditor, 1890-92, auditor same road since Nov., 1892. Also auditor Canadian Southern Ry., Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Ry., Detroit River Tunnel Co., secretary and treasurer Buchanan & St. Joseph River R.R., Lansing Transit Co.; secretary Detroit & Charlevoix R.R.; treasurer and assistant secretary Michigan Air Line R.R.; assistant secretary Kalamazoo & South Haven R.R., Battle Creek & Sturgis Ry., Bay City & Battle Creek Ry., Detroit & Bay City Ry., Jackson, Lansing & Saginaw R.R., Joliet & Northern Indiana R.R. Republican. Recreations: Fishing and boating. Office: 7 Michigan Central Depot. Residence: 81 Willis Av., E.
BURT, Lou; born, Cardington, O., Apr. 18, 1852; son of Merritt and Cynthia B. (Grandy) Burt; educated at Hiram College; married, Cleveland, O., June 23, 1873, Mary Ingersoll. In wholesale jewelry business in Cleveland, 1872-82; removed to Detroit, 1882, and was engaged in wholesale jewelry business until 1894, when retired; county auditor Wayne Co., 1893-1908;director The Ferro Machine and Foundry Co., Cleveland. Appointed colonel on staff of Gov. John T. Rich; alderman, Detroit, 1889-93. Republican. Congregationalist. Mason (Past Commander Detroit Commandery), Shriner (Potentate Moslem Temple); Odd Fellow. Clubs: Motor Boat, Rushmere, Detroit Yacht. Residence: 777 2d av.
BURTON, Clarence Monroe, lawyer, author, abstractor; born, California, Nov. 18, 1853; son of Charles S.B. Burton; graduate University of Michigan, degree of B.S., 1873, LL.B., 1874, honorary degree, M.A., 1905; married, Dec. 25, 1872, Harriet J. Nye, who died Feb. 8, 1896; again, Dec. 27, 1897, Lina Grant, who died Oct. 4, 1898; third, Jan. 20, 1900, Anna M. Knox. Admitted to bar at age of 21; proprietor Wayne County Abstract of Land Titles. Member Detroit Board of Education eight years. President Michigan Pioneer and Historical Society since 1901. Author: Sketch of the Life of Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, Founder of Detroit; Cadillac's Village of Detroit, 170-1711; In the Footsteps of Cadillac; A Chapter in the History of Cleveland; Revised Landmarks of Detroit. Office: Home Bank Bldg. Residence: 27 Brainard Street.
BURTON, William John, president W. J. Burton Co.; born in township of Moore, Lambton Co., Ont., July 9, 1863; son of Allen and Elizabeth (Gibson) Burton; educated in public schools of Petrolia,Ont.; unmarried. Began as a boy on farm; served apprenticeship at tinsmith's trade in Petrolia; removed to St. Clair, Mich., 1880, where he worked at trade at Lapeer and Pontiac; came to Detroit, 1882; engaged in business for himself as jobber and manufacturer of tinners' hardware, roofers' supplies, etc.; incorporated, 1903, as the W. J. Burton Co. Director Fuel Economy and Manufacturing Co., Detroit. Methodist. Member Board of Commerce. Mason (32), Knights Templar, Shriner. Club: Commercial. Recreations: Breeder and lover of fine horses. Office: 164 Larned St., W. Residence: 649 Fourth St.
BUSH, Frank Palmer, manager National Biscuit Co., Detroit; born, Grand Rapids, Mich., Jan. 23, 1872; son of Erastus W. and Harriet E. (Palmer) Bush; educated in public schools of Grand Rapids; married at Le Roy, Mich., Oct. 17, 1900, Julia Anna Smith. Began active career, 1890, in employ of William Sears & Co., Grand Rapids, later absorbed by the National Biscuit Co.; on road for the company for ten years, in the general sales department, Chicago, five and one-half years, and has been manager of the Detroit branch since 1906. Member Masonic order, Blue Lodge and Chapter. Club: Commercial. Office: 48 E. Woodbridge St. Residence: 55 Philadelphia Av.
BUSH, John Fellows, general manager the Hecla Co.; born, Rochester, N.Y., Mar. 7, 1871; son of Daniel West and Eloise (Walbridge) Bush; educated in public schools of Rochester; married, Rochester, Apr. 27, 1898, Maude Emerson. Filled position of note teller in Commercial Bank of Rochester, 1888-92; then was in employ of the C.P. Ford Co., manufacturers, and became promoter and organizer of water, gas and electric light companies, and had companies in various cities; went to Watkins, N.Y., 1899, as manager of electric light and gas company, and to Maccan, Nova Scotia, as coal mine operator, 1902; sold out interest in mine, 1903; went to Chicago and in 1904 became connected with the Goodman Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of electric mining machinery; has been general manager of The Hecla Co., Detroit, with works and mines at Bay City, Mich., manufactures of Portland cement, since 1906. Also secretary and manager Brockport Gas Light Co., of Brockport, N.Y. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason. Club: Bay City (Bay City, Mich.). Office: 808 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 1145 Jefferson Av.
BUTLER, Bradford William, secretary Detroit Folding Cart Co.; born, Tecumseh, Mich., Nov. 4, 1871; son of William Henry and Mary Celia (Jones) Butler; educated in public schools of Michigan; married, Eaton Rapids, Mich., Oct. 23, 1895, Millie Carlotta Ball. Began business career, 1887, in employ of the Gale Manufacturing Co., manufacturers of agricultural implements, and continued with the company fifteen years in the selling and publicity departments; since 1902, has been secretary, treasurer and director of the Detroit Folding Cart Co. Member Knights of Pythias, Independent Order of Foresters. Office: 660 Commonwealth Av. Residence: 559 Forest Av., W.
BUTLER, Edward H., banker; born, Detroit, 1841; son of William A. and Mary A. (Harter) Butler; educated in Detroit public schools and at University of Michigan, three years, 1857-59; married, 1st, Oswego, N.Y., 1868, Julia E. Smith; 2d, at Rome, N.Y., 1874, Harriette P. Strykee; 3d, Washington, 1901, Lillie Garth Burbridge. Engaged in banking business in Detroit, 1860-1901. President Detroit Fire and Marine Insurance Co.; vice president Detroit Trust Co.; treasurer trustees Elmwood Cemetery. State treasurer of Michigan four years,1883-86; chairman Detroit Clearing House nine years, 1893-1901. Member Delta Kappa Epsilon. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Old Club. Recreation: Boating. Office: 82-84 Griswold St. Residence: 949 Woodward Avenue.
BUTLER, Wilmer F., manager Queen Quality Shoe Store; born at Milan, Mich., Jan. 28, 1869; son of Franklin C. and Catherine (Allen) Butler; educated in public schools of Milan; married at Milan, Nov. 17, 1892, Grace M. Wilson. Began active career as clerk in shoe store at Milan; came to Detroit, 1891, and was with L.N. Valpey & Co. as clerk and later general manager; has been manager of the Queen Quality Store for Thomas G. Plant & Co., manufacturers of fine shoes, Boston, since 1901. Republican. Member Masonic order. Club: Wayne. Recreations: Baseball, football and outdoor sports generally. Office: 215 Woodward Av. Residence: 103 Philadelphia St.
BUTTERWORTH, Irvin, vice president and general manager Detroit City Gas Co.; born, Loveland, O., July 7, 1860; son of Clarkson and Rachel (Irvin) Butterworth; educated in public schools of Wilmington, O.; unmarried. Began active career as private secretary to M.M. Greene, president of the Columbus, Hocking Valley & Toledo R.R. (now know as the Hocking Valley Road), continuing, 1881-84; became connected with the Cloumbus Gas Co., 1884, and advanced through various positions, becoming president of the company (during same time was president Board of Trade, Columbus, and president of the Columbus Engineering Club); went to Denver, Colo., 1901, as president of the Denver Gas and Electric Co.; came to Detroit, 1903, and was general manager and secretary of Detroit Gas Co., one year; then became president and general manager of the Grand Rapids Gas Co.; returned to Detroit as vice president and general manager of the Detroit City Gas Co., September, 1906. Director Muskegon (Mich.) Lighting and Traction Co. Member American Gas Institute, Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason. Clubs: Detroit, Fellowcraft, Detroit Golf, Ohio Society. Recreation: Tennis. Office: 230 Woodward Av. Residence: 46 Lawrence Av.
BUTTRICK, Theodore Romeyn, dentist; born, Flint, Mich., Sept.25, 1869; son of Frank and Susan Van Vranken (Romeyn) Buttrick and of Puritan and Revolutionary ancestry; educated in Detroit public and high schools, D.D.S., Dental Department, Detroit College of Medicine, 1902; married at Toronto, Can., Feb. 21, 1905, Alice Maude Millichamp.Was engaged about twelve years in mercantile business (principally lumber) after leaving high school; has practiced in Detroit since June, 1902. Republican. Episcopalian. Member First District Dental Society, Michigan State Dental Association, Delta Sigma Delta (Dental fraternity). Mason. Club: Fellowcraft. Office: 4 Adams Av., W. Residence: 850 Brush St.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
Powered by counter.bloke.com
This page was last updated on Thursday, March 30, 2000. 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN