THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 96 - 98
Many thanks to
Jan Damann for transcribing this work!
|CAMPBELL, Don Malcom, physician;
born, Wardsville, Ont., Dec. 12, 1864; son of George and Fannie H. Campbell; educated in
public schools of Windsor; M.D., Detroit College of Medicine, 1885; post-graduate studies
at University of Edinburgh, London, Dublin, New York and Chicago; married, Detroit, June
1884, Olive Douglas. Has practiced in Detroit since 1887, making specialty of eye, ear,
nose and throat; Professor ophthalmology and otology, Detroit College of Medicine;
attending oculist and aurist, Harper Hospital. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Wayne
County and Michigan State Medical societies, American Medical Association, Academy of
Ophthalmology and Oto-Laryngologoy, Detroit Opthalmic and Otologic Club, Detroit Board of
Commerce. Mason. Clubs: Detroit and Country. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 57 Fort St.
Residence: 1125 Jefferson Av.
CAMPBELL, Duncan Alexander, physician; born, Windsor, Ont., Mar. 10. 1876; son of George and Fannie H. (Campbell) Campbell; educated in public schools of Windsor; graduate Windsor Collegiate Institute, 1895; M.D., Detroit College of Medicine, 1898; married at Cleveland, July 28, 1903, Edith Cummer. Interne Harper Hospital, 1898-1899; practiced in Detroit since 1899; contract surgeon U.S. Army Recruiting department; has specialized in nose, throat, and chest since 1905; member Polyclinic staff of Harper Hospital. Republican. Presbyterian. Member American Medical Association, Michigan State and Wayne County Medical societies, Nu Sigma Nu. Office: 57 Fort St. Residence: 32 Winder St.
CAMPBELL, Henry Munroe, lawyer; born, Detroit, Apr.18, 1854; son of James and Cornelia (Hotchkiss) Campbell; educated in Detroit public and high schools and University of Michigan, graduating, degree of Ph. B., 1876, and Law Department, same university, LL. B., 1878; married at Detroit, Nov. 22, 1881, Caroline B. Burtenshaw. Studied law in office of Alfred Russell and was admitted to the bar, Oct., 1877; member law firm of Russel & Campbell, 1878-1905; Russel, Campbell & Bulkley, 1905-07; Russel, Campbell, Bulkley & Ledyard, since Jan. 1, 1907. Director People's State Band; director and counsel for Parke, Davis & Co., Cass Farm Co., River Rouge Improvement Co., Chestnut Ridge Improvement Co., Union Trust Building Co.; counsel for Union Trust Co. Member American Bar Association, Michigan State Bar Association, Detroit Bar Association. Was one of the organizers of the Detroit Naval Reserve and commanded 3d division as senior lieutenant. President Detroit Naval Reserve during Spanish-American War. Elected delegate to Constitutional Convention, State of Michigan, 1907. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Society Colonial Govenors, Delta Kappa Epsilon. Clubs: Detroit (ex-president), Detroit Boat, Country, Yondotega, Prismatic, University, Huron Mountain. Recreations: Hunting, fishing, yachting and golf. Office: 604 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 913 Jefferson Av.
CAMPBELL, John O., secretary and treasurer The Art Stove Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: 1549 Russell St. Residence: 474 2nd Av.
CAMPBELL, Walter E., president Detroit, Belle Isle & Windsor Ferry Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: 2-6 Woodward Av. Residence: 551 Cass Av.
CAMPBELL, William E., manager the Manson-Campbell Co., Ltd.; born, Chatham, Ont., June 19, 1871; son of William and Sarah (Comstock) Campbell; educated in public schools of Ontario, Can.; married at Detroit, Feb. 14, 1896, Alexandria E. Henderson. Began at age of 15 with the Manson-Campbell Co., Chatham, Ont., manufacturers of fanning mills, and has been manager of the company at Detroit since 1901. Member Board of Commerce. Mason. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 103 Wesson Av. Residence: 254 25th St.
CAMPBELL, William Robert, dry goods merchant; born, Saranac, Mich., June 15, 1863; son of William and Harriet (Rose) Campbell; educated in public schools; married at Bancroft, Nov. 28, 1889, Abbie E. Phillips. Began active career as clerk in general store at Pinckney, Mich., 1878; clerk in general store in Howell, Mich., 1881-82; came to Detroit in 1882 and became associated with and since 1902 a director Burnham, Stoepel & Co.; vice president and director Detroit Folding Cart Co. Clubs: Commercial, Detroit Athletic. Recreation: Outdoor athletic sports. Office: Bates and Larned Sts. Residence: 123 Canfield Av., W.
CANDLER, Claudius H., president Calvert Lithographing Co.; born, London, Eng., Mar. 10, 1845; son of William and Letitia A. (Thomas) Candler; came to Detroit with Mother, 1853; educated in public and high schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, 1871, Miss Mary V. Kaple. Began active career under John Gibson, lithographer, as operator in art department, 1863, the firm being succeeded by Calvert & Co., 1865; became secretary of the company upon its incorporation, 1867 (reincorporated, 1897), and president and general manager upon death of Thomas Calvert, 1900. Also president Detroit Casket Co.; vice president Roe Stevens manufacturing Co.; director Michigan Mutual Life Insurance Co. Member National Association of Employing Lithographers (president) and of Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican as to politics; Episcopalian in church affiliation. Member Masonic order, Knights Templar (Past Commander Detroit Commandery No. 1). Club: Detroit Boat. Office: Cor. Grand River Av. and Elizabeth St. Residence: 61 Garfield Av.
CANDLER, James W., secretary and treasurer Candler Dock & Bridge Building Co.; born Colchester, Eng., Feb. 7, 1834; son of William and Letitia A. (Thomas) Candler; educated in public schools of London, Eng.; came to America and Detroit in 1849; married at New York City, 1854, Sarah A. Roworth. Sailed on the lakes, and left Detroit for New York 1851; sailed before the mast and became second mate and mate on sailing ship, sailing from New York to the East Indies, China and Japan. Took charge of vessel in 1862 in Manila and was in it two years; returned to Detroit, 1864, and entered into partnership with brothers as building contractors and vessel owners, under the title of Candler Brothers, who were also interested in the Michigan Dock Building Co. until the firm was dissolved in 1892, when the Michigan Dock Building Co. was changed to Candler Dock & Bridge Building Co., 1900, of which he was president until 1906, since which time he has been secretary and treasurer of the company. Also secretary and treasurer Detroit Dredging Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason. Club: Detroit Boat. Recreation: Taking short trips. Office: 305 Moffat Bldg. Residence: 27 Melbourne Av.
CANDLER, William R., real estate and loans; born, Colchester, Eng., Apr. 9, 1832; son of William And Letitia A. (Thomas) Candler; educated in private schools of London and Capital School, Detroit; married at Pontiac, Mich., Oct. 26, 1853, Eleanor S. Van Dusen. Came to America, 1849; began business career, 1860, as member of firm of Candler Bros., contractors and vessel owners, which continued until 1891; has been actively identified with real estate business since 1891, handling his own property and building residences on the same. Member Detroit Real Estate Board. Member Grayson Light Guard, 1852; Lyon Guard, 1862-65. Member Detroit Board of Estimates 8 years; served one term as member Board of Poor Commissioners; trustee Harper Hospital. Member of Archaeological Society. Republican. Elder First Presbyterian Church. Member Masonic order. Office: 481 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 85 Putnam Av.
CANFIELD, George Lewis, lawyer; born, Detroit, Oct. 12, 1866; son of Frank H. and Adelaide (Green) Canfield; educated at Detroit High School and University of Michigan, Literary Department, graduating, 1887; married at Detroit, Sept. 25, 1889, Mary N. Croul. Has been engaged in general practice of law in Detroit since 1890. Member Detroit Bar Association, American Historical Association. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Delta Kappa Epsilon. Club: Detroit. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 512 Moffat Blk. Residence: 118 Dubois St.
CARHARTT, Hamilton, manufacturer of clothing; born, Macedon Locks, N.Y., Aug. 27, 1855; son Of George and Lefa (Wylie) Carhartt; educated in public schools of Jackson, Mich., and at Episcopal College, Racine, Wis.; married at Jackson, Mich. , to Annett Welling. Began business career in employ of Young, Smythe, Field & Co., Philadelphia; removed to Detroit, 1884, and established himself in wholesale furnishing business under name of Hamilton Carhartt & Co., in 1899 the firm changed its line of operations to manufacture of workingmen's clothing, as Hamilton Carhartt Manufacturer (Inc.), of which is president. Also vice president Peninsular Savings Band and of the Art Commission. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Office: 479-487 Michigan Av. Residence: 843 Jefferson Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
Powered by counter.bloke.com
This page was last updated on Thurs, 03-June-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN