THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 102 - 104
Many thanks to Jan Damann for transcribing this work!
|CARY, Hugh, physician; born,
Demertsville, Ont., Can., June 6, 1852; son of Hugh and Margaret (Hamilton) Cary; educated
in common schools, Provincial Normal School, Toronto, and University of Michigan,
graduating, M.D., 1884; married at Brockville, Ont., Aug. 6, 1877, Jennie E. Mulvaugh;
again, at Cheboygan, Mich., Oct. 12, 1892, Mrs. Orma E. Mulvaugh (nee Farrell). Taught
school in earlier years; began practice of medicine at Romulus, Mich., 1884; removed to
Delray, 1885 (was the first physician to locate there), where has since continued in
practice. Member American Medical Association. Secretary school board, 1888-1906; elected
trustee when Delray was organized as a village, 1897 (president of board, 1904-05). Mason;
member Knights of Pythias, I.O.O.F., Maccabees. Residence and office: 2260 Jefferson Av.
CASE, Louis Hamlin, banker and broker; born, Flint, Mich., Nov. 26, 1876; son of Luman and Adelaide (Kendall) Case; educated in public schools of Holly, Mich.; unmarried. Began active career in employ of Commercial National Bank, Detroit, continuing 1895-99; became identified with Cameron, Currie & Co., bankers and brokers, 1899, and in 1903 succeeded F.S. Osborn as a partner in the company. Republican. Episcopalian. Clubs: Detroit, Fellowcraft, Detroit Boat, Automobile, Country, Yondotega, Detroit Racquet and Curling and Old Club. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 116 Griswold St. Residence: 87 Watson St.
CASGRAIN, Charles William, lawyer; born, Canada, May 24, 1859; son of Hon. Charles E. and Charlotte (Chase) Casgrain; Assumption College, 1879; studied law and was admitted to bar, 1883; married at Detroit, Feb. 25, 1886, Annie Hammond. Has practiced in Detroit since 1883; city attorney, City of Detroit, 1890-92. Democrat. Roman Catholic. Member Detroit and Michigan Bar associations, Knights of Columbus. Club: Detroit Office: Hammond Bldg. Residence: 575 Jefferson Av.
CASWELL, William L., vice president Peninsular Milled Screw Co.; born, Rochester, N.Y., Dec. 22, 1854; son of Joseph and Emma Caswell; educated in public schools of Stratford, Ont.; married at Detroit, 1884, Miss Amelia Saenger. Began learning trade of machinist at Stratford, Ont., 1872, continuing at the trade for 5 years; came to Detroit, 1877, and entered employ of the Detroit Locomotive Works; then was identified with the Barnum Wire Works and for 16 years was with the Detroit Screw Works; assisted in organization of the Peninsular Milled Screw Co. in 1902, and has since been vice president and superintendent of the company. Independent in politics. Member Masonic order. Recreations: Hunting and fishing. Office: 751 Bellevue Av. Residence: 239 Macomb St.
CAUGHEY, Frank T., grain commission; born in Ashtabula Co., O., June 21, 1853; son of Samuel S. and Nancy (Davidson) Caughey; educated in public schools of Ashtabula Co. and at Pennsylvania State Normal School; married, Union City, Mich., May 24, 1883, Della A. Shumway. Located in Union City and began clerking in general store,1870; traveling hardware salesman, 1873-76; began in grain and seed shipping, 1876; removed to Detroit and became special partner of Gillett & Hall, 1888; has been member of the firm Caughey & Carran, grain commission merchants. Member Detroit Board of Commerce (president Detroit Board of Trade, 1897, 1898 and 1903). Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Recreations: Automobiling, boating and fishing. Office: 620 Chamber of Commerce, Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe, Mich.
CAULKINS, Horace J., dealer in dental supplies; born, Oshawa, Ont., Can., July 12, 1850; son of William and Elizabeth (Burns) Caulkins; educated in public schools of Canada; married at Detroit, 1888, Minnie F. Peck. Began active career in dry goods business at Niagara Falls, Ont.; came to Detroit, 1871, and continued in dry goods business until 1877, when he began as dealer in dental supplies, in which he has since continued; president and manager H.J. Caulkins & Co., Ltd., manufacturers of china kilns, enamel furnaces, dental and high heat furnaces and dealers in dental supplies. President Pewabic Pottery Co., manufacturers of artistic pottery and tile. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Episcopalian. Office: Gratiot and Farmer St. Residence: 74 Edmund Pl.
CHAMBERLAIN, Robert M., lawyer; born, Le Roy, N.Y., Mar. 16, 1852; son of David C. and Mary (Finney) Chamberlain; graduate Le Roy Academic Institute, June, 1869; graduate Williams College, Williamstown, Mass., degree of B.A., June, 1873; married at Detroit, June 7, 1881, Florence A. Lee. Studied law and was admitted to the bar at Williamsport, Pa., 1875; began practice in Chicago, continuing only a short time; went to Ridgeway, Pa., and associated in practice with George A. Rathbun, as Rathbun & Chamberlain, 1876-77; came to Detroit in Feb., 1877, and was in office of Moore, Canfield & Warner, until Jan. 1, 1881; member firm of Chamberlain & Guise, 1884-04, Chamberlain, Guise & Turner, 1904-06, again Chamberlain & Guise until death of Mr. Guise, June 30, 1907, since which time he has practiced alone. Member Detroit Bar Association, Michigan State Bar Association. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Alpha Delta Phi, Loyal Legion (by inheritance). Club: Fellowcraft. Recreation: Fishing. Office: 416 Moffat Blk. Residence: 124 Bagg St.
CHAMBERLIN, Fred W.; born, Fairfield, Me., July 31, 1868; son of George W.F. and Eliza (Wetherell) Chamberlin; removed to Detroit, Oct., 1871; educated in public schools of Detroit, 1875-84; married Detroit, June 6, 1905, Edyth Anne Brand. Began active career as clerk to purchasing agent Michigan Central Railroad, continuing Dec. 1, 1884-May 1, 1891; stationery purchasing agent, New York Central Railroad System May 1, 1891-Nov.,1895; in stationery and printing business in New York City, Nov., 1895-1897; salesman Library Bureau, New York, Oct., 1897-May, 1899; sales manager for Michigan Library Bureau, headquarters in Detroit; since Sept. 1, 1899. Republican. Congregationalist. President Detroit Christian Endeavor Union, 1900-01, and Michigan Christian Endeavor Union, 1902-06; trustee United Society of Christian Endeavor, and World's Christian Endeavor Union. Recreation: Enthusiastic canoeist. Office: 400 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 173 King Av.
CHAMBERS, Charles A., wholesale coal merchant; born, Paris, Ky., Apr. 5, 1867; son of Charles Thomas and Marie Antonetta (Cefalo) Chambers; educated in public schools of Cincinnati; married, Cincinnati, June 10, 1888, Blanch J. Fisher. Began active career in Cincinnati, as employe of Pittsburg, Columbus, Cincinnati & St. Louis Ry.; studied stenography, was appointed soliciting freight agent and later general freight and passenger agent of the Detroit, Lima & Northern Ry. (now the D.,T. & I. R. R.), also Detroit, Toledo & Milwaukee R. R. (now part of the L., S. & M. S. Ry.); resigned to enter wholesale coal business and began as general manager sales of Luhrig Coal Co., Cincinnati; now local representative at Detroit of the Fairmont Coal Co., The Consolidation Coal Co. and the Somerset Coal Co. Served 14 years in 1st Regt., Ohio National Guard. Republican. Methodist. Mason (32), Shriner. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreation: Farming. Office: 1410 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 113 Lothrop Av.
CHANDLER, George Whitfield, insurance; born, Livonia Center, N.Y., Feb. 7,1835; son of Daniel D. T. and Mary (Kneeland) Chandler; educated in public schools of Buffalo, N.Y. , and Howell, Mich.; married at Brooklyn, N.Y., Aug. 30, 1864, Adaline P. Plunkett, who died 1903. Became clerk in general store at Howell at age of 15; engaged in business for himself, with partner, at Fowlerville, Mich., 1855-57; was employed in dry goods store at Lansing, Mich., until 1861; enlisted in Union Army, Aug. 12, 1861; was sergeant Co. E, 8th Michigan Infantry, and advanced through various grades; commissioned brevet major U.S. Volunteers, Mar. 13, 1865, for meritorious services; commissary in subsistence department; mustered out Dec. 27, 1866. Returned to Lansing and was assistant secretary Michigan State Insurance Co., 1867-70; special agent for Michigan, for Hartford Fire Insurance Co., 1872-82; came to Detroit and was appointed local agent same company and acquired the business of the oldest fire insurance agency in the city, which he conducted in his own name until 1905, when he established George W. Chandler's Insurance Agency, of which he is the head. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Masonic order, Knights Templar (Grand Commander of Michigan jurisdiction, 1882), Shrine; Detroit Post No. 384, G. A. R., Loyal Legion (ex-Commander Michigan Commandery). Office: 1011 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 37 Peterboro St.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thurs, 03-June-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN