THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 108 - 111
Many Thanks to Jan Damann for transcribing this work!
|CHITTENDEN, Alpheus William,
architect; born, Detroit, Feb. 24, 1869; son of William Jared and Irene (Williams)
Chittenden; educated in Detroit High School; Massachusetts Institute of Technology and
Hochschule, Charlottenburg, Germany; unmarried. Began practice in Detroit, 1898,
continuing alone until 1903, since which time he has been member of firm of Chittenden
& Kotting. Designed Detroit Boat Club building, Detroit Stove Works, Ford residence,
etc.; makes specialty of private residences. Member American Institute of Architects
(secretary Michigan Chapter), Architectural League of America. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit
Boat, Country, Detroit Athletic, University. Office: 1325 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 134
W. Fort St.
CHITTENDEN, William J.; born, Adams, N.Y., Apr. 28, 1835; son of Thomas C. and Nancy (Benton) Chittenden; educated at institute, Watertown, N.Y.; married at Detroit, Jan. 18, 1866, Irene Williams. Came to Detroit, 1853, acted as clerk in dry goods store for 3 years, and later was connected with the postoffice; was office man at Russell House, 1858-64; associated with C. S. Witbeck under style of Witbeck & Chittenden, proprietors and managers of the hotel until death of Mr. Witbeck, 1882, when became sole proprietor, the house being famous as one of the leading hotels of the country. President Wire Cloth Co., Michigan Wire and Iron Works. Director First National Bank; president Hargreaves Manufacturing Co. Member Masonic order (32), Knights Templar, Shrine. Clubs: Detroit, Fellowcraft, Audubon, Old Club. Office: 1325 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 134 Fort St.,W.
CHITTENDEN, William Jaret, Jr.; born at Detroit, Mar. 21, 1874; son of William Jarred and Irene (Williams) Chittenden; educated in public schools of Detroit and at St. Paul's School, Concord, N. H.; married at New York City, Oct. 16, 1902, May Stevens. Began active career in employ of First National Bank, advancing to office of assistant paying teller; resigned from bank, 1895, to fill position in office force of the Russell House; upon organization of The Pontchartrain Hotel Co., became director and has been one of the managers of Hotel Ponchartrain since its opening, Oct. 29, 1907. Member Michigan State Naval Brigade. Episcopalian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, B.P.O.E. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Boat, Country. Office: Hotel Pontchartrain. Residence: 134 W. Fort St.
CHITTICH, William Rufu, physician; born, Detroit, Jan. 14, 1858; son of William and Mary (Morrisie) Chittich; early education in public schools of Detroit and under private tutors; studied medicine under Leartus Connor, of Detroit, 1879, and at Detroit Medical College, 1880; M.D., Michigan College of Medicine and Surgery, 1881; Long Island College Hospital, Brooklyn, N.Y., 1882; post-graduate study at University of Vienna, 1889; married at Detroit, Apr. 30, 1894, Adeline S. Kent. Has practiced in Detroit since 1882; attending physican St. Mary's and Harper hospitals; consulting physician House of Good Shepherd; clinical professor of medicine Detroit Medical College. Recreation: Travel. Office: Gladwin Bldg.,270 Woodward Av. Residence: 22 Edmund Pl.
CHOATE, Frances Bradford, general agent Union & Southern Pacific Rys.; born, Salem, Mass., Aug. 28, 1868; son of George Francis and Abby Parker (Cogswell) Choate; educated in public schools; Dunmer Academy, So. Byfield, Mass.; Prof. Carleton's School, Bradford, Mass., Boston Institute of Technology, 1886-88; married, Denver, Colo., Jan. 11, 1896, Helen Milward Warrack. Began railway service as clerk in general freight office of the Union Pacific Ry., Omaha, Neb., 1888; became traveling freight agent, 1893, and at time of opening Union Pacific office in Portland, Ore., 1894, was appointed to organize the freight department there and as traveling freight agent in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, 1895; was sent to Sacramento, Calif., and traveled over nearly all parts of that state; appointed general agent freight department Union Pacific at Salt Lake City, 1897, and had charge during Union Pacific receivership and the segregation of the Oregon Short Line, this being an important position under unusual conditions; took charge also of passenger department, Sept., 1900; appointed general agent Union Pacific, at Pittsburg, Pa., Dec.,1900, and organized both freight and passenger departments at that point, being also placed in charge of Southern Pacific business at Pittsburg, under consolidation, July, 1901; has been general agent, both roads, at Detroit for Michigan and Canada since Feb.,1903. Republican. Episcopalian. Club: Detroit Motor. Recreations: Boating and fishing. Office: 11 Fort St., W. Residence: 1055 Jefferson Av.
CHOATE, Ward N., lawyer; born, Ann Arbor, Mich., June 21, 1873; son of William E. and Minerva (Haynes) Choate; educated in high schools of Jackson and Ann Arbor, University of Michigan, Literary Department, and Detroit College of Law, but did not graduate (had been admitted to the bar before he attended College of Law). Became registered pharmacist, 1890; has practiced law since July, 1895; member law firm of Choate & Webster, established Nov. 15, 1904. Trustee and member board Masonic Temple Association. Member Michigan National Guard, 1901-04; assistant prosecuting attorney Wayne Co.; estimator-at-large of City of Detroit, elected Nov.,1906, term 2 years. Member Detroit Bar Association. Republican. Member Masonic order, Knights Templar, B.P.O.E., Sigma Alpah Epsilon (college fraternity). Club: Harmonie. Recreation: Gardening. Office: 911 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 184 Horton Av.
CHOPE, Robert L.; born, Detroit, June 28, 1860; son of Edward and Elizabeth (Anscomb) Chope; educated in Detroit public and high schools; married, Detroit, 1883. Lizzie A. Reilly. Began active career, 1879, as messenger of American Exchange National Bank, and became collection clerk; resigned, 1893, to enter business on his own account; vice president and secretary Paige & Chope Co., wholesale paper dealers. Republican. Club: Detroit Athletic. Recreations: General athletics. Office: 154-156 Jefferson Av. Residence: 805 Cass Av.
CLARK, Alpheus Whitney; born, Flint, Mich., May 15, 1852; son of William and Mary (Whitney) Clark; educated in public schools and at University of Michigan, graduating, B.A., 1874; married at Flint, Mich., May 22, 1878, Jessie, daughter of Moses Wisner, governor of Michigan. Became connected with First National Bank, 1880, and became assistant teller, resigning, 1904, to become manager of estate of Hugh Moffat. Republican. Presbyterian. Mason. Member University of Michigan Association. Recreations: Working with tools, Athletics. Office: 501 Moffat Bldg. Residence: 328 Hancock Av., W.
CLARK, Charles L.; born, Rochester, N.Y., Apr. 9, 1851; son of George W. and Louisa (Elliott) Clark; educated in public schools of Rochester and at Walworth Academy, Palmyra, N.Y., 1867-68; married at Detroit, May 19, 1887, Georgiana Frazer. Began business career in employ of M. S. Smith & Co.,wholesale jewelers, Detroit, 1868, continuing until 1871; was with Giles Bros., jewelers, Chicago, 1871-73; returned to Detroit and entered employ of Clark & Crawford, real estate and insurance, and continued with the firm, 1873-78; has been in business in his own name since 1878. Chairman and manager Union Coupon and Registry Co., Ltd. Member Detroit Real Estate Board. Member Detroit Light Guard, 1875-77 (now member Light Guard Veteran Corps). Republican. Methodist. Club: Detroit Boat. Recreations: Boating and baseball. Office: 919-921 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 176 High St., W.
CLARK, Donald A.; born, Nashville, Tenn., Apr. 10, 1874; son of Donald and Barbara C. (King) Clark; educated in private school and by tutilage; married at Nashville, Tenn., June 24, 1901, Emma Louis Davis. Began active career in Nashville office of the Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Co. of Newark, N. J., 1891; was transferred to Chattanooga, Tenn., 1896, and to Detroit, 1897; was cashier of the company in Detroit, 1900-04; has been state agent since 1904. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Protestant. Club: Detroit Boat. Office: 80 Griswold St. Residence: 40 Josephine Av.
CLARK, Edward B.; born, Burlington, Ia., July 18, 1863; son of William M. and Alvira (Tirrell) Clark; educated in public schools; married at Detroit, June 18, 1885, Margaret O'Brien. Began railway service at Lansing, Mich., as telegraph operator Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Ry., 1874; came to Detroit and entered office of despatcher Detroit & Milwaukee R. R., continuing until 1880; was ticket agent Brush St. Depot until 1892; traveling passenger agent St. Paul, Minneapolis & Manitoba R. R., 1892-95; general agent at Detroit of the Great Northern R. R., 1895-98, district freight agent at Pittsburg, Pa., until 1902, and general agent same road and Northern Steamship Co., at Detroit, since June, 1902. Member Masonic order. Office: 710 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 406 E. Fort Av.
CLARK, Emory W., banker; born, Detroit, 1869; educated in Detroit public and high schools. Has been connected with banking business since 1902; vice president First National Bank, Security Trust Co.; director Home Savings Bank, Mutual Life Insurance Co. of New York; treasurer Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Yondotega, Detroit Boat. Office: First national Bank. Residence: 1740 Jefferson Av.
CLARK, John E., physician; born in England, Jan. 13, 1850; son of Fred J. and Ellen (Petley) Clark; came to America, 1856; educated in Toronto grammar schools, Victoria College, Toronto, and Medical Department, University of Michigan, M.D., 1877; married, Detroit, June, 1877, Frances Hutchings. In practice at Detroit since 1877; professor of general chemistry and physics Michigan College of Medicine, 1879-85, and Detroit College of Medicine since 1885; elected dean department of pharmacy and professor chemistry and toxicology, Detroit College of Medicine, 1892; surgeon-general Michigan National Guard, 1892; president U.S. Pension Examining Board since 1899; now chemist and analyst County of Wayne. Elected member Detroit Board of Education. 1893 (president, 1895); president Detroit Public Library Commission, 1902. Fellow Deutsche Chemische Gesellschaft, 1885; member American Chemical Society, American Medical Association, Michigan State Medical Society, Wayne County Medical Society, Detroit Medical and Library Association, Detroit Science Association (honorary president, 1881-82), Association of Military Surgeons of the United States. President Apollo Improvement Co., Apollo, Pa.; vice president F.A. Thompson & Co. Republican. Clubs; Wayne, Detroit Golf, Detroit Curling. Office: 608 Washington Arcade. Residence; 735 2nd Av.
CLARK, Joseph H., lawyer; born, Sandusky, O., Dec. 20, 1860; son of Nelson and Sarah F. (Weller) Clark; educated in Castalia (O.) High School and Northern Indiana Normal School, Valparaiso, Ind.; married at White Rock, Mich., Nov. 3, 1884, Minnie McMuldroch. Began practice of law at Manistique, Mich., 1885; removed to Muskegon Jan. 1, 1891, and became a member of law firm of Jones & Clark; located in Detroit, 1895, and became member of firm of Griffin, Clark & Russell, succeeded 3 years later by Clark, Durfee & Allor, which dissolved Jan, 1, 1903, and was succeeded by present firm, Clark, Jones & Bryant. President Dorfee Coal Mining Co.; vice president Wolverine Leather Goods Co. Member Michigan State Bar Association, Detroit Bar Association. Republican as to politics. Baptist in church affiliation. York and Scottish Rite Mason (32), Shriner; member Knights of Pythias. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreation: Boating. Office: 410 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 360 Frederick St.
CLARK, Rex Brainerd, stationer and printer; born, Detroit, May 31, 1876; son of Ransom Bruce and Nellie (Russell) Clark; educated in Detroit public and high schools; married at Detroit, Sept. 4, 1901, Miss Grace M. Scripps, youngest daughter of Hon. James E. Scripps. Began active career selling rubber stamps; added line of typewriter ribbons and carbons; became state agent for Underwood Typewriter, and began dealing in general office supplies; began business in Hodges building, then in Chamber of Commerce, later at 32 West Congress St., 145 Griswold St., 69-73 Griswold St., and since Apr., 1905, has been located in present quarters on Woodward Av., occupying six floors, where has added manufacturing and other departments and dropped typewriter line; firm incorporated, Nov., 1904, as the Rex B. Clark Co., office outfitters, stationers and binders, of which is president and treasurer. Independent as to politics. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason (Knight Templar). Club: Commercial. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 127-129 Woodward Av., Detroit Residence: Grosse Pointe, Mich.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thurs, 03-June-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN