THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 124 - 126
Many Thanks to Jan Damann for transcribing this work!
|CORNEHL, William, Sr.; born,
Mecklenburg, Germany, 1844; son of Fritz Cornehl; came to America with parents; educated
in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, 1874, Miss Anna Muhelmann. Learned trade
of printer and book binder in employ of Richmond, Backus & Co., 40 years ago; head of
firm William Cornehl & Sons, printers and book binders. Republican. Member Masonic
order, Concordia Society. Office: 77 Larned St. Residence: 207 Catherine St.
CORSE, William Malcolm, chemist; born, Malden, Mass., May 25, 1878; son of William A. and Genevieve (Alexander) Corse; educated in public schools of Malden and Medford, Mass.; degree of S. B., Department of Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 1899; married at Detroit, June 4, 1902, Edith W. Bell. Chemist with William S. Merrell Chemical Co., Cincinnati, 1899-1901, Detroit White Lead Works, 1901-02; assistant superintendent, in charge of brass foundry, Detroit Lubricator Co., since Jan., 1903; especially interested in scientific development of foundry, particularly along metallurgical lines. Congregationalist. Member American Chemical Society, Society of Detroit Chemists (secretary), American Brass Founders' Association (vice president). Recreations: Won first prize manual of arms, and first prize bayonet drill, Medford High School Cadets; first prize (presented by Governor Wolcott of Massachusetts) manual of arms and bayonet combined, while holding rank of 1st lieutenant, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cadets. Office: Detroit Lubricator Co. Residence: 54 Lothrop Av.
CORWIN, George A., wholesale dry goods; born in Niagara Co., N.Y., Dec. 14, 1844; son of Isaac H. and Clementine (Knowles) Corwin; educated in public schools; married, Fenton, Mich., 1876, Fanny Curtis. Came to Michigan, 1867, and to Detroit, Sept., 1879; entered dry goods business, 1879, with same house with which he has since been connected, was confidential and credit-man to the firm and since 1902 has been secretary Burnham, Stoepel & Co., wholesale dry goods, notions and furnishings. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: Cor. Bates and Larned. Residence: 276 Wreford Av.
COTNER, Jacob, Jr., publisher; born, Mansfield, O., Sept. 14, 1860; son of Jacob and Katherine (Hartman) Cotner; educated in public schools of Ohio; married, 1st at Toledo, O., 1887, Marie Etta Trowbridge, who died in 1899; 2d, Philadelphia, Pa., 1901, Cecilia L. Burke. Started as a boy in a hardware store and at the age of 17 was a traveling salesman for his firm, and at 19 for a leading hardware firm in Cleveland; at 20 was president of the Mansfield Bolt & Nut Works; later traveled in Ohio for the Peninsular Stove Co.; located in Detroit in 1889, when he became secretary and treasurer of The Sprague Publishing Co. and The Sprague Correspondence Schools, which offices he still occupies. Was for many years a director of the Detroit Y.M.C.A.; member board of trustees of First Congregational Church; president Ohio Society of Detroit, 1906-7. Recreations; Outdoor sports. Office: Majestic Bldg. Residence: 70 Virginia Av.
COTTER, William; born, Bloomington, Ill., 1858; son of William and Bridget (Morrissey) Cotter; educated public schools; married at Litchfield, Dec. 16, 1886, Emma Weigreffe. Began railway service as telegraph operator, Chicago & Alton Ry., 1874; was telegraph operator St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Ry., at Piedmont, Mo., 1878-80, train despatcher and trainmaster, same road, Little Rock, Ark., 1880-82; train despatcher Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Ry., at La Crosse, Wis., 1882-83, Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific Ry. and its successor, the Wabash Ry., at Litchfield, Ill., 1883-90, trainmaster St. Louis division same road, 1890-96; superintendent Eastern Division Grand Trunk Ry. at Montreal, Que., 1896-99, superintendent Western Division, same road at Detroit, 1899-01; general superintendent, St. Louis, Iron Mountain & Southern Ry., at St. Louis, 1901-02; manager Missouri Pacific Ry. System, 1902-04; general manager Pere Marquette Rd. since 1904. Clubs: Detroit and Detroit Golf. Recreation: Golf. Office: Fort St., W., and 3rd Av. Residence: 153 Hancock Av., E.
COTTRELL, Eber W., land commissioner Detroit, Mackinaw & Marquette R. R. Co.; born, Cottrellville, St. Clair Co., Mich., Feb. 17, 1841; son of George H. and Submit (Ward) Cottrell; educated in district schools and academy, Newport, Mich., 1846-58, and at Bryant & Stratton's Business College, Detroit, 1860; married at Detroit, Nov. 12, 1868, Ellen Smith. Began steamboating at age of 14 and followed the Great Lakes until 1868; settled on stock and fruit farm at Greenfield, Mich., 1868; member State Legislature, 2 terms, 1879 and 1881, during which time he introduced the bill providing for Grand Boulevard that encircles Detroit and secured its passage, although at the time against great opposition; appointed by President Grant receiver of public moneys at Detroit Exposition, 1888 (the exposition proving a great success during his administration of its affairs); was appointed land commissioner for the Detroit, Mackinaw & Marquette R. R. Co., 1889, which position he still holds. Also director Wabash Portland Cement Co., Superior Pin Co., Detroit Typomarker Co. Republican, prominent party worker for many years; member Republican State Central committee two terms. York and Scottish Rite Mason (32), Knights Templar, Shriner, Clubs: Detroit, Country, Caledon Mountain, Duck Lake, Au Sauble Trout Club. Recreations: Fishing and shooting. Office: 410 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 135 Lafayette Blvd.
COUCH, Alfred Edward, restaurant proprietor; born, Toronto, Can., May 17, 1876; son of Walter J. and Harriet (Kane) Couch; educated in public schools of Toronto; married, Detroit, June 1, 1900, Helen Andrew Morton. Began active career in employment of J. C. Kuhn, confectioner, 1896; after a short experience as traveling salesman, returned to Detroit and was identified with restaurant business under Robert Morton; entered restaurant business for himself Oct. 1, 1899, and has since continued in that line. Member Board of Commerce. Mason; member Elks, Knights of Pythias. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Harmonie, Automobile. Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 204 Loyal Guard Bldg. Residence: 132 Avery Av.
COURTIS, William Munroe, mining engineer; born, Boston, Jan. 7, 1842; son of William and Mehitable (Appleton) Courtis; graduate Harvard University, 1864, degree of A.M., 1867, and studied civil engineering in Lawrence Scientific School, Harvard, for one year; student for 3 years at Royal School of mines, Freiberg, Saxony; married at Wyandotte, Mich., Apr. 2, 1873, Lizzie Easton Folger. Came to Detroit, 1871, as assistant manager Wyandotte (Silver Islet) Smelting Works, and became general manager within a year; has operated extensively for many years as mining engineer and metallurgist; has been superintendent and general manager of many mines and smelting works in Michigan, Colorado, California, New Mexico, etc., and consulting engineer to mine owners and mining corporations; was chief engineer of geological survey of Santo Domingo, etc.; has patented improved mill apparatus for saving waste on tailings. Member American Association for the Advancement of Science, International Geological Society, Detroit Engineering Society, Detroit Chemical Society, American Institute of Mining Engineers, Sons of American Revolution (Michigan). Contributor to engineering journals. Clubs: Harvard (Detroit), Harvard Union (Cambridge, Mass.). Recreation: Yachting. Office: 621 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 449 4th Av.
COUZENS, James, manufacturer; secretary and treasurer Ford Motor Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: Piquette Av. and Beaubien. Residence: 80 Chandler Av.
COVERT, Arthur H., lawyer; born, Ann Arbor, Mich., July 22, 1868; son of Arthur and Eliza A. (Galpin) Covert; graduate Ann Arbor High School, 1887; Literary Department, University of Michigan, A.B., 1893: Law Department, same university, LL.B., 1895; married at Ann Arbor, Nov. 7, 1900, Edith M. Popkins. Was superintendent of schools, Schoolcraft, Mich., 1895-99; has been engaged in practice of law at Detroit since Aug.,1899. Member Detroit and Michigan State Bar associations. Republican. Methodist. Member Masonic order, Blue Lodge and Chapter. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 1437 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 656 2nd Av.
COWLES, Israel T., lawyer; born, Belchertown, Mass., Nov. 8, 1854; son of Tertius and Julia L. (Towne) Cowles: educated in public schools of Belchertown, Monson Academy and Yale University, graduating, degree of B.A., 1877; married at Detroit, Oct. 30, 1894, Elizabeth A. Howard. Studied law and was admitted to the bar, 1880; in practice alone since 1895. Manager and legal officer, title guaranty and abstract department Union Trust Co. Member Michigan Naval Reserve, 1894. Republican. Episcopalian. Member American Historical Association, Delta Kappa Epsilon. Clubs: Detroit, University, Yondotega, Detroit Boat, Country, Old Club, Witenagemote. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 311 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 82 Davenport St.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thurs, 03-June-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN