THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 127 - 129
Many thanks to Jan Damann for transcribing this work!
|COX, Allan P., lawyer; born,
Detroit, Feb. 7, 1876; son of William and Eva M. (Van Riper) Cox; educated in public and
high schools, Detroit, Literary and Law Departments of the University of Michigan,
graduating, LL.B., 1900; married, Detroit, Nov. 16, 1904, Louise M. Knauss. Began practice
at Detroit, in 1900, in offices of Otto Kirchner; has practiced alone since 1901. Member
3d Division, Michigan Naval Brigade, for 3 years. Republican. Member Wayne County and
Michigan State Bar associations, Detroit Board of Commerce. Odd Fellows, Union Lodge, F.
& A.M. Club: Harmonie Society. Recreations: Books, boating, horseback riding. Office:
819-821 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 363 Cass Av.
CRANDELL, Frank; born, Columbia Co., N.Y., 1844; son of Solomon and Mary W. (Wheeler) Crandell; educated in private school; married at Bay City, Mich., 1869, Mary Raymond. Served in Civil War as private 7th New York Infantry; located in Michigan at close of war; came to Detroit, 1881. President Toledo Casket Co.; secretary and treasurer Detroit Casket Co.; treasurer Peninsular Salt Co. Office: 187 W. Congress St. Residence: 26 Martin Pl.
CRAPO, Stanford Tappan, producer of coal and cement; born, New Bedford, Mass., June 13, 1865; son of William W. and Sarah (Tappan) Crapo; educated at Friend's Academy, New Bedford, and Yale College; married at Painesville, O., Oct., 10, 1894, Emma C. Morley. General manager Flint & Pere Marquette R.R., 1894-1900; general manager Pere Marquette R.R., 1900-03; engaged in production of coal and cement since 1903. Director Old Detroit Nat'l Bank, Second Nat'l Bank, Saginaw, Mich., Fort Street Union Depot Co.; president Wyandotte Portland Cement Co.; vice president B.F. Berry Coal Co.; secretary and treasurer Huron Portland Cement Co. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Golf, University. Office: 1525 Ford Bldg. Residence: 200 Parker Av.
CROCKER, George M.; born, Greenville, Ill., Aug. 9, 1848; son of Samuel H. and Harriet (Ferguson) Crocker; educated at normal school, Normal, Ill., and Newberry Seminary, Newberry, Vt.; married at Washington, D.C., June 28, 1888, Cecelia T. S. Steele. Came to Mt. Clemens, Mich., from New Hampshire, 1866; studied law and was admitted to the bar in Macomb Co. early in the '70s; filled positions of probate clerk, judge of probate, prosecuting attorney of Macomb Co. and mayor of city of Mt. Clemens; became auditor Detroit, Bay City & Alpena R.R., 1892, and upon reorganization of the road as the Detroit & Mackinac Ry., Feb. 1, 1895, was elected auditor and purchasing agent, in which he continues; also vice president since Nov., 1896. Member Masonic order, Knights Templar. Office: 514 Majestic Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Mt. Clemens, Mich.
CRONIN, Arthur D.; born, Hamilton, Ont., May 3, 1833; son of Richard B. and Susan (Peer) Cronin; educated in parochial schools of Detroit; unmarried. Began active career in employ of C. C. Wormer Machinery Co. and later entered grocery business as Cronin Bros., continuing 1901-03; entered coal business as traveling representative of Detroit Coal & Coke., 1903; has been secretary and treasurer Imperial Coal Co. since 1905. Also director Prudential Coal Mining Co., of Big Creek, W. Va. Member 3rd Division, Michigan State Naval Reserves since 1902. Republican. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus, Knights of Equity. Clubs: Cathedral and St. Vincent's Young Men's Club. Recreations: Sailing, canoeing, and horseback riding. Office: 322 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 39 Hecla Av.
CRONIN, Frederick C.; born, Hamilton, Ont., May 14, 1879; son of Richard B. and Susan (Peer) Cronin; educated at De Lasalle Academy, Hamilton, Ont.; married at Detroit, June 12, 1907, Miss Julia Miner. Has been a resident of Detroit since 1881; began active career in employ of A. M. Hunter, grocer, and later was connected with the Detroit Stove Works; traveled for 3 years in coal business, for H. S. Ayers; became connected with The Imperial Coal Co., miners and shippers of coal and coke, as vice president, 1905, and has been president of the company since Feb. 1, 1907. Independent. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus. Recreations: General outdoor sports. Office: 322 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 103 Erskine St.
CROSBY, Frank Noble, lawyer; born, Hastings, Minn., May 5, 1867; educated in public schools of Hastings, University of Minnesota and University of Michigan; married. Studied law and was admitted to the bar, 1892, practicing at Hastings; has practiced in Detroit since 1902. Member Michigan State Bar Association. Republican. Club: University. Office: 310 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 205 Seyburn Av.
CROUL, Frank H.; president Detroit Oak Belting Co.; son of
Jerome and Ellen (Parsons) Croul. President and general manager Detroit Oak Belting Co.
since 1892; vice president Michigan Wire Cloth Co.; director Wayne Co. Savings Bank.
Member Detroit Board of Commerce.
CROUL, William R.; president and manager Riverside Storage and Cartage Co.; born in Detroit, 1861; son of Jerome and Ellen (Parsons) Croul; educated, Galt (Ont.) Collegiate Institute and Michigan Military Academy, Orchard Lake, Mich. Has been engaged in storage and cartage business since the beginning of his active career, in 1879, and has been president of the Riverside Storage and Cartage Co. since 1887; also president and director Detroit and Cobalt Mining Co.; director Detroit Fire and Marine Insurance Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit and Country. Recreations: Outdoor athletics. Office: 65 Cass Av. Residence: 20 Kirby Av., W.
CROWLEY, Daniel T.; born, Detroit, Mar. 13, 1864; son of Cornelius and Catherine (Bresnahan) Crowley; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, 1894. Miss Mary E. Dwyer. Began active career as bookkeeper for James K. Burnham & Co., wholesale dry goods, 1880, continuing for six years; became connected with the Peninsular Stove Co., as bookkeeper, 1886; advanced to position of cashier and has been auditor and director of the company since 1896. Also vice president and director Crowley Bros., wholesale dry goods. Member Knights of Columbus. Office: W. Fort St., Detroit Residence: Grosse Pointe, Mich.
CROWLEY, Joseph J.; dry goods merchant. Member of the firm of Crowley Brothers. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: 103-113 Jefferson Av. Residence: 262 4th Av.
CROWLEY, LaFayette, born, Cincinnati, O., Aug. 16, 1846; son of John B. and Julia A. (McCarthy) Crowley; educated in public schools of Cincinnati: married, Detroit, Jan. 4, 1890, Lavinia Cecelia Borgman. Began serving apprenticeship of four years, Jan. 11, 1861, in the foundry of Chamberlain & Co., Cincinnati, and continued with the company eighteen years; went to St. Louis, 1879, and served one year as general superintendent of plant of Giles F. Filley; came to Detroit, January, 1880, as assistant superintendent of the Detroit Stove Works; was made general superintendent, 1882, and member of board of directors, 1888, which position he now holds. Episcopalian. Club: Detroit. Office: Detroit Stove Works. Residence: 192 McDougall Av.
CULLEN, James H., lawyer; born, Detroit, July 8, 1859; son of James and Abigail (McSweeny) Cullen; educated in Detroit public schools and business college; married at Detroit, Apr. 19, 1887, Harriett C. Walters. Entered the office with which he has since been identified, October, 1875; studied law and was admitted to the bar, 1892; firm has passed through various changes as Griffin & Dickinson, Griffin, Dickinson & Thurber, Dickinson, Thurber & Stevenson, Dickinson, Warren & Warren, and since Jan. 1, 1902, has been Dickinson, Stevenson, Cullen, Warren & Butzel. Member Detroit Bar Association. Secretary Detroit Sulphite Pulp and Paper Co.; president Detroit Saw and Tool Works. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus. Club: Detroit Golf. Recreations: Athletics. Office: 606 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 34 Forest Av., E.
CULVER, Chester M., lawyer; born, Pontiac, Ill., Oct. 5, 1870; son of Joseph F. and Mary (Murphy) Culver; educated at State Normal School, University of Chicago and Harvard Law School, graduating, degree LL.B., 1899; married at Emporia, Kan., 1900. I'Dell Clarke. Came to Detroit, 1899; admitted to practice in Supreme Court of Kansas, 1899, and soon after in Michigan, practicing five years; has been vice president and general manager Murphy Iron Works, manufacturers of Murphy automatic smokeless furnaces, since its incorporation, 1904; also chairman Murphy Co., Ltd. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Methodist.Clubs: University (Detroit), Harvard (New York). Recreation: Automobiling. Office: Foot of Walker St. Residence: 114 Horton Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thurs, 03-June-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN