THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 130 - 134
Many thanks to Jan Damann for transcribing this work!
|CUMMISKEY, James Peter, miner and
shipper of coal; born, Detroit, Jan. 28, 1872; son of James and Elizabeth (Loney)
Cummiskey; educated in public and private schools of Detroit; married at Detroit Nov. 22,
1904, Edna Common. Entered coal business under O. W. Shipman, 1888, continuing for
fourteen years; has been engaged in business in his own name since July 1, 1902, as
treasurer and general manager of the Ohio and Michigan Coal Co.; also treasurer and
general manager Duncan Run Coal Mining Co., Walnut Hill Coal Mining Co.; president Hocking
Coal Exchange and Mining Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce and of Knights of Columbus.
Clubs: Columbus and Cleveland Coal Clubs. Recreation: General athletics. Office: 82-84
Home Bank Bldg. Residence: 29 Smith Av.
CUNNINGHAM, Harry L., manager Detroit branch Ford Motor Co.; born, Shelby, O., Jan. 30, 1883; son of Marcellus A. and Catherine (Nichols) Cunningham; educated in public schools of Shelby; unmarried. Learned machinist's trade in factory of the Ideal Bicycle Co., Shelby, 1895; removed to Cleveland, 1899, and was connected with the Winton Motor Carriage Co. as tool maker; in Mansfield, O., with Mansfield Machine Works, 1900; at Geneva Automobile Co.; came to Detroit, 1902, to look after Winton Motor Carriage Co's interests; manager Ford Motor Co's branch, Cleveland, 1905-6; manager at Detroit since November, 1906. Clubs: Automobile (Cleveland and Detroit). Recreation: Automobiling. Office: 268 Jefferson Av. Residence: Marietta Apts.
CURRIE, Cameron, banker and broker; born, London, Ont., May 4, 1860; son of Donald and Elizabeth (Cameron) Currie; educated in public and high schools of London and at Hellmuth College; came to Detroit, 1879; married at Detroit, Nov. 3, 1887, Harriette Ingersoll Lewis. Began active career in employ of Detroit City Railway Co., 1879, resigning from position as secretary, 1892, to enter business for self under title of Cameron Curie & Co., bankers and brokers, which still continues. Also partner O. J. Mulford Advertising Co.; director Detroit City Gas Co., Detroit Omnibus Line Co., Copper Range Consoldated Co., Baltic Mining Co., Copper Range R. R. Co., Jefferson Avenue Land Co. Member New York Stock Exchange, Boston Stock Exchange, New York Produce Exchange, Chicago Stock Exchange, Chicago Board of Trade. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Corinthian Lodge, A. F. & A. M. Clubs: Yondotega, Detroit, Fellowcraft, Racquet and Curling, Detroit Boat, Country (Detroit); Union League and Engineering, New York). Recreation: Golf. Office: 116 Griswold St. Residence: 675 Jefferson Av.
CURRIE, George E., born, Seaforth, Ont., Can., Aug. 5, 1863; son of Thomas and Nancy (Weeks) Currie; educated in Detroit public schools; married at Southampton, Ont., Nov. 28, 1888, Miss Margaret E. Spence. Came to Detroit, 1872; began in contracting and paving business, 1889, and has since continued. Manager Currie Coal Co., established, 1903. Democrat. Presbyterian. Member Masonic order (32), Shriner. Recreations: Basketball and tennis. Office: 1250 Jefferson Av. Residence: 395 Cadillac Av.
CURTISS, Darwin Z., journalist; born, Plymouth, O., Oct. 5, 1861; son of Russell and Carrie (Rowell) Curtiss; educated in public schools of Plymouth and at Oberlin College; married at Tiffin, O., July 6, 1886, Jessie K. Keller. Was publisher Saginaw Daily Journel, 1885-91; came to Detroit, 1900; resident manager American Press Association, 1901-07; now special representative Hearst Syndicate, New York. Also president Syphon Stove Co.; secretary Dr. Reed Cushion Shoe Co., of Chicago. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Knights of Pythias. Club: Press. Recreation: Athletic sports. Office: 25 Griswold St. Residence: 88 Park St.
CURTISS, Sylvanus Wright; born, Monroe, Mich., July 20, 1869; son of Sylvanus Wright and Emily (Howe) Curtiss; educated in Monroe public schools, Ph. B., University of Michigan, 1892; married at Big Rapids, Mich., Aug. 27, 1894, Margarette Shaw. Has been engaged in newspaper work since 14 years of age; came to Detroit, 1894, became connected with Wayne County Legal News and since its reorganization in 1898 as the Detroit Legal News Co. has been secretary and treasurer of the company; also secretary and treasurer Drake Law Book Co. and Sunnyside Farm. Mason, Palestine Lodge, King Cyrus Chapter, Detroit Commandery. Recreations: Farming and chicken raising. Office: 410 Wayne Co. Savings Bank Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Northville, Michigan.
CUTLER, Dwight, lumber dealer; born, Grand Haven, Mich., Dec. 2, 1862; son of Dwight and Frances E. (Slayton) Cutler; educated in public schools of Grand Haven, Michigan Military Academy, Orchard Lake, Mich., and University of Michigan; married at Detroit, 1895, Adelaide L. Bowen. Began active career with the Cutler & Savidge Lumber Co., manufacturers and dealers in lumber, Grand Haven, and became director of the company, 1884; has acted as representative of the company in Detroit, since 1895. Also 2nd vice president Standard Life and Accident Insurance Co.; director Challenge Refrigerator Co., Grand Have, and National Bank of Grand Haven. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Office: 1214 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 50 Kirby Av., W.
CUTTING, Benjamin N., treasurer Harrington Cigar Co.; born Lapeer, Mich., Nov. 8, 1874; son of Francis R. and Martha A. (Davis) Cutting: educated in public schools of Lapeer; unmarried; was engaged in lumber and cigar manufacturing business in Lapeer, Mich., 1899-1902; treasurer of the Harrington Cigar Co. since 1902. Member Knights of Pythias, Elks. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Detroit Golf, Detroit Boat. Recreation: Golf. Office: 47 Jefferson Av. Residence: 34 Erskine St.
DAKIN, Henry Walter, capitalist; born, Buffalo, N.Y., Nov. 28, 1865; son of Richard Lansing and Augusta L. (Young) Dakin; educated in public schools and Evanston (Ill.) High School; married at Evanston, Apr. 20, 1898, Helen Ide. Began active career as manufacturer of lumber, operating at Natalbany, La., 1894-1904; retired from active operations in lumber, 1904, removed to Detroit and has since devoted attention mainly to vested interests; director Detroit Steel Products Co.; also in real estate business. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Boat, Country, Automobile. Recreations: Motoring, golf. Office: 502 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 206 Seminole Av.
DANAHER, James E., lumber manufacturer; born, Plymouth, Wis., Oct. 16, 1854; son of Patrick M. and Mary (O'Brien) Danaher; educated in public schools of Milwaukee; married at Watertown, Wis., 1881, Hattie A. McMann. Began in lumber business with his father at Ludington, Mich., 1877; entered lumber business on his own account, 1887; located in Detroit from Sault Ste. Marie, 1902. Secretary Danaher & Melendy Co., manufacturers and wholesale dealers in lumber. Also director Dime Savings Bank, Detroit Trust Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Supervisor Ludington, Mich., and mayor, 1888-89. Republican. Catholic. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Golf. Recreations: Golf, yachting and outdoor exercises generally. Office: 1007 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 45 E. Willis Av.
DANIELS, William Breck, lawyer; born, Olivet, Mich., Nov. 25, 1868; son of Joseph L. and Julia B. (Allen) Daniels; educated in public schools of Olivet and Olivet College, graduating, A. B., 1890, and in Law Department, University of Michigan. Has engaged in practice in Detroit since 1898. Republican. Congregationalist. Member Detroit Bar Association, Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason. Office: 500 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 524 Brush St.
DARMSTAETTER, Gustav; born, Detroit, Sept. 17, 1865; son of Jacob and Louisa (Koch) Darmstaetter; educated in public schools of Detroit and Detroit Business University; unmarried. Has been associated in brewing business established by his father, since the beginning of his active career; became member of the firm, 1886, incorporated, 1903. Honorary member Montgomery Rifles and Detroit Light Infantry. Member German Salesman's Association, Knights of Pythias. Independent in politics. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 412 Howard St. Residence: 388 Howard St.
DARMSTAETTER, Herman; born, Detroit, Sept. 27, 1859; son of Jacob and Louisa (Koch) Darmstaetter; educated in Detroit public schools and Detroit Business University; married at Detroit, 1886, Miss Mamie Wolff. Began active career, 1877, in employ of the West Side Brewing Co., founded by his father, 1866; became, with his brother, a partner in the firm, 1886; succeeded his father as president and treasurer, 1899; business incorporated, 1903, under present title. Independent in politics. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 412 Howard St. Residence: 390 Howard St.
DARNELL, Henry Faulkner, P. E. clergyman; author; born, London, Eng., June 24, 1831; son of Rev. James Darnell, rector Pentlowe and Cavendish, Essex; educated in Universities of Dublin and Cambridge. Held mathematical and classical professorships, Royal School, Raphoe, Ireland; ordered deacon, 1858, ordained priest, 1859, Episcopal Church; in ministry and educational positions, England and Canada, and rector Zion Church, Avon, N.Y.; now rector St. Mary's Church, Detroit. Author: The Cross Roads, 1856; Songs by the Way, 1862; Songs of the Seasons, 1885; A Nation's Thanksgiving, 1886; also the Hazelbrook Booklets, a series of original poems in booklet form; contributor to magazines. Residence: 650 Brush St.
DAVIDSON, Robert Bailey, clergyman; born, Glasgow, Scotland, Jan. 24, 1871; son of Robert and Anne (Bailey) Davidson; came to America Aug. 25, 1880; graduate Holyoke (Mass.) High School, 1887; A. B. Bucknell University, 1894; D. B., University of Chicago, 1897, post-graduate work, 1894-99 and 1900-1901; married at Ann Arbor, Mich., Aug. 28, 1901, Bessie Jean Carson. Ordained to ministry of Baptist Church; general secretary Students' Christian Association, University of Michigan, 1899-1900; pastor Lowery Av. Baptist Church, Pittsburg, Pa., 1901-03, and of Warren Av. Baptist Church, Detroit, since 1903. Secretary-treasurer Pastors' Union. Member Phi Kappa Psi. Recreation: Baseball. Address: 55 Langley Av.
DAVIES, William Luke; born, Aberdare, South Wales, Feb. 14, 1858; son of Daniel and Katherine Davies; came to America with parents, 1861; educated in public schools of Oconto and Milwaukee, Wis.; married at Windsor, Ont., Jan. 4, 1888, Susan V. Dougall. Began active career in employ of the wholesale drug house of Farrand, Williams & Co.; assisted in organizing and incorporating, Dec. 24, 1884, the Acme White Lead and Color Works, and has been president of the company since its organization; continued in drug business until Jan 1, 1886, when he resigned in order to devote entire attention to paint business. Director of National Bank of Commerce. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason (32), Shriner. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Boat. Recreation: Traveling. Office: Acme White Lead and Color Works.
DAVIS, Charles Edward Law Baldwin, army officer; born at New Haven, Conn., Feb. 16, 1844; son of Charles S. A. Davis; educated in public and private schools of New Haven, 1850-1; one year in academic department, Yale College, 1861-2; graduated West Point Military Academy, 1866, as 2d lieutenant corps of engineers, U.S.A.; unmarried. Promoted 1st lieutenant, Mar. 7, 1867; captain, Sept. 2, 1877; major Apr. 7, 1888; lieutenant-colonel, May 3, 1901; colonel, Oct. 15, 1906; brigadier-general, U.S.A., Jan. 27, 1908; retired, Feb. 16, 1908; located at Detroit since 1904. Served on Atlantic, Gulf and Lakes, Pacific Coast, Philippine Islands, 1902-3. Member American Society of Civil Engineers, Detroit Engineering Society. Clubs: Detroit, Prismatic, Witenagemote; University (New York); Army and Navy (Washington, D.C.); Army and Navy (Manila, P.I.). Address: Jones Bldg.
DAVIS, James Ethelbert, physician; born, near Woodstock, Ont., Can., Oct. 3, 1870; son of John and Christina (Kennedy) Davis; educated in public schools, 1875-88; Woodstock Collegiate Institute, Ont., 1888-91; Detroit College of Medicine, 1894-96, graduating M.D., 1896; Michigan State Board of Pharmacy, graduating, 1896; Chicago Seminary of Science, 1898-99; post graduate work Chicago Clinical School of Medicine, 1904; married at Ann Arbor, Mich., Aug. 31, 1904, Emily M. Lovell. In drug business, Ontario,. Manitoba and Michigan, 1891-96; in practice in Detroit since 1896; instructor materia medica and therapeutics, Detroit College of Medicine, since 1901, also lecturer on physiology, same college; obstetrician in chief of Salvation Army Maternity Home since 1902; medical examiner Manhattan Insurance Co.; editor Leucocyte since 1905. Member Wayne County Medical Society (secretary medical section), Michigan State Medical Society, American Medical Association. Republican. Methodist. Member Alumni Association Detroit College of Medicine (ex-president). Member Epworth League (president Detroit City Union of Epworth Leagues five years, and president Detroit District Epworth League one year). Recreation: Amateur horticulture. Office and residence: 831 W. Fort St.
DAVIS, John, president Detroit Chemical Works; born, Westfield, Mass., May 25, 1844; son of Rev. Emerson (D.D.) and Mary Mayhew (Folger) Davis (the Mayhews early settlers of Marths's Vineyard, Mass., and the Folgers early settlers of Nantucket, Mass.); educated in High School and Academy, Westfield, up to 15 years of age; married, 1st, 1870, Ida M. Hitchcock (deceased, 1881); 2d, Beverly, Mass., 1885, Emma F. Carter. Began active career as druggist at Westfield, 1867, continuing at Wenona (West Bay City), Mich., 1868-79; engaged as manufacturer of grocers' specialties, 1879-95, when explosion of boilers in adjoining building, known as "The Journal Explosion," destroyed building and the contents; in meantime had started the Detroit Chemical Works in 1888, incorporated, 1893, and now covers four and one-half acres, lying on both sides of the Union Terminal R. R. between Junction Av. and Morrell St.; engaged in manufacture of heavy chemicals, such as strong acids, alum. etc. President Detroit Chemical Works (three sons associated in offices of the corporation). Served as corporal 34th Mass., 1862, until appointed hospital steward, U.S.A.; served with medical director in the field at headquarters of Generals Hunter, Sheridan and Crooke; discharged at own request at close of Civil War. Former member village council West Bay City. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Ex-President Detroit Municipal League and ex-director National Municipal League. Congregationalist. President Congregational Union; trustee First Congregational Church, Detroit.Clubs: Wayne (ex-president), Detroit. Recreation: Billiards and other games. Office: Detroit Chemical Works. Residence: 515 Cass Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thurs, 03-June-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN