THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 135 - 138
Many thanks to Jan Damann for transcribing these pages!
|DAVIS, Samuel H., president
Wolverine Fish Co.; born at Pittsburgh, Pa., Mar. 9, 1838; son of William and Mary A.
(Williamson) Davis; educated in public schools of Columbus, O.; married at Cleveland, O.,
October, 1861, Augusta G. Wheeler. Began active career in fish business with his father,
at Columbus, O., 1852; moved to Sandusky, O., 1854, and to Detroit, 1855; founded firm of
S.H. Davis & Co., wholesale fresh fish, and became the largest catcher and jobber of
fresh- water fish in North America; sold out to the trust, 1898, and later became
associated with the Wolverine Fish Co., of which he is president, the company maintaining
a number of auxiliary houses and being the largest handler of fresh-water fish in the
United States, outside of the trust. Republican. Methodist. Office: 42 W. Water St.
Residence: 142 John R St.
DAVISON, Clement A., wholesale carriage materials; born, Whitehall, N.Y., Nov. 5, 1849; son of Clement M. and Mary F. (Pomeroy) Davison; educated at military academy, N.Y. state; unmarried. Came to Detroit from Whitehall, 1857; began active career with the same house with which he has ever since been connected and has been member of the firm of Roehm & Davidson, Ltd., since 1871, and is vice president and treasurer of the company. Also director Michigan Malleable Iron Co. Independent in politics. Episcopalian. Member Sons of American Revolution. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Boat Club, Old Club of St. Clair Flats. Recreations: Baseball, outdoor diversions. Office: 91-95 Woodbridge St., W. Residence: 60 Alfred St.
DAVOCK, Harlow Palmer, lawyer; born Buffalo, N.Y., Mar. 11, 1848; son of John W. Davock and Maria (Brown) Davock; educated in Buffalo High School and University of Michigan; married at St. Clair, Mich., Jan. 4, 1883, Sarah W. Peabody. Began active career as office boy for Buffalo & Eric R.R.; after leaving college practiced as civil engineer in construction of government docks at Sault Ste. Marie, Mich., and Cascade locks, in Oregon; admitted to the bar, 1878, and has been in practice in Detroit since 1882. U.S. referee in bankruptcy, Eastern District, Michigan; member legislature, 1893; U.S. superior elections, 1894. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Sons of American Revolution. Clubs: Detroit Boat, University. Office: Moffat Blk. Residence: 79 Garfield Av.
DEAN, Charles A., merchant; president and treasurer Pittmans & Dean Co., dealers in coal, wood and ice; vice president Detroit Savings Bank. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: 8-10 Adams Av. W. Residence: 740 Cass Av.
DEAN, Harry, railway official; born, Parish of Lanivet, Cornwall, Eng.; son of Edwin and Jane (Hendy) Dean; came to America in infancy; educated in public schools in Ontario, Can.; married at Kincardine, Ont., 1878, Jennie Dinning. Began active career as telegraph operator in employ of the Great Western Ry., at London, Ont., and passed successively through positions of freight clerk, receiving agent, clerk in freight office at Hamilton, clerk general freight department, traveling freight agent and chief clerk to general manager Great Eastern Fast Freight Line up to 1885; was in general freight department Grand Trunk Ry., 1885-87; Michigan state agent Lehigh & Wabash Despatch, 1887-95; Wisconsin state agent Flint & Pere Marquette Rd., 1895-1900; commercial agent same road and its successor, the Pere Marquette R. R., at Detroit, 1900-03; division freight agent Pere Marquette R.R., since 1903. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Masonic order. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Commercial, Detroit Transportation. Office: 7 Fort St., W. Residence: 1028 4th Av.
DEAN, Harry J., wall paper, etc.; born in Detroit, Nov. 24, 1867; son of James M. and Lucretia A. (Spain) Dean; educated in public and high schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, 1901, Gertrude Williams. Began business career in 1885 with firm of Dean, Godfrey & Co., and continued until 1898, when firm was reorganized as the Harry J. Dean Co., wall paper, painters and decorators, of which he is president and treasurer. Member Board of Commerce. Mason (32), Shriner. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Boat, Lake St. Clair Hunting and Fishing. Office: 167-171 Griswold St. Residence: 130 High St., W.
DEDERICHS, Peter, architect; born, Detroit, Aug. 8, 1856; son of Peter and Elisebeth Dederichs; educated in Christian Bros. St. Mary's parochial school, Detroit. Has been engaged in business as architect since 1876; studied architecture in Europe in 1885. Was superintendent of construction for U.S.Custom House and Postoffice, Detroit, and general spuerintendent of Wayne County Court House. Member Harmonie Society, German Salesman. Office: 1306-1307 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 644 Mt. Elliot Av.
DEIMLING, James F.; born, Philadelpphia, Nov. 18, 1867; son of Francis C. and Mary C. (Lovell) Daimling; educated in public schools of Philadelphia; unmarried. Began railway service, 1886, in engineering department of Missouri Pacific Ry., in Kansas, serving in various minor positions, 1886-90; assistant engineer Chicago & Western Michigan R. R. (now part of the Pere Marquette Rd.), 1890-97; with Cleveland Cliff Iron Mining Co., Marquette, Mich., as engineer, 1897-1904; tract and division engineer Pere Marquette R. R. 1904-07, and chief engineer since Sept. 1, 1907. Member American Railway Engineers and Maintenance of Way Association. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason, Knight Templar, Shriner. Offfice: Fort and 3d Sts.
DEINZER, Frederick; born Bavaria, Germany, Dec. 23, 1826; son of F. G. and A. Deinzer; came to America, 1852. Has been engaged in upholstering business in Detroit since 1862 and is head of the firm of F. Deinzer & Son, established, 1897; partner Deinzer Furniture Co., Monroe, Mich. Democrat. Lutheran. Office: Cor. Catherine and Hastings Sts. Residence: 1008 Meldrum Av.
DELAMATER, DeWitt C., wholesale merchant, banker; born, Buellville, N.Y., Jan. 1, 1844; son of John and Phoebe O. (Buell) Delamater; educated in public schools of Manlius, N.Y., and Jackson, Mich.; married, Jackson Co., Mich., January, 1866, Miss Kate Hewitt. Entered employ of Rice, Pratt & Co., hardware merchants, Jackson, 1874; was traveling salesman C. B. James & Co., Detroit, later succeeded by Buhl, Ducharme & Co.; was one of the organizers of Freeman, Delamater & Co., 1890, wholesale hardware, cutlery, iron and steel, and was its secretary and treasurer until 1900, since which time he has been president of the company. Also president Detroit Savings Bank. Secretary Buhl Stamping Co. Recreation: Farming. Office: 8-10 Woodward Av. Residence: 483 3d Av.
DELBRIDGE, Charles Fisher, lawyer; born, Manistee, Mich., Nov. 11, 1876; son of Bartholomew and Ellen Jane (Fisher) Delbridge; educated at Nicholas and Cass public schools, Detroit, up to 1891; Detroit High School, graduating, 1895; University of Michigan, Literary Department, graduating, B. L., June 1899; Law Department, same university graduating, LL.B., 1901; unmarried. Auditor, 1901, and later secretary, director and treasurer of the Municipal Water, Light & Power Co., of Mackinac Island. Began practice of law in office of John W. Beaumont, Detroit, October, 1901; became associated in practice with Orla B. Taylor, July, 1902, and has so continued to the present time. Republican. Congregationalist. Member Sigma Chi fraternity. Clubs: Detroit Boat, Detroit Boat Club Yachtsman, University, Detroit Cavalry. Recreations: Boating and riding. Office: 14 Butler Bldg. Residence: 898 Woodward Av. 0
DELBRIDGE, Jay James, physician; born, Detroit; son of James B. and Ellen J. (Fisher) Delbridge; educated in public and high schools, Detroit, and at Detroit College of Medicine, degree of M. D., 1893; married at Detroit, October, 1897, Mary J. Jamieson. Began practice in Detroit, 1893; practiced in St. Clair Co., 1894 and 1895, returning to Detroit, 1896, where he has since continued. Lieutenant 1st Regiment Michigan National Guard. Member American Medical Association, Michigan State and Wayne County Medical societies. Office: 143 Park St. Residence: 145 Park St.
DE MAN, Florimond, president De Man Bros. Co.; born, Ghent, Belgium, Aug. 16, 1843; son of Peter and Marie (Houtsagher) De Man; educated at Atheneum and University, Ghent, receiving diploma of Engineer of Arts and Manufactories; married at Brussels, Belgium, Sept. 26, 1891, Louise Maenhaut. Came to America, 1872, and entered service of Michigan Central R. R. as engineer and draughtsman; engaged in sash and door business in partnership with C. P. Rabaut, of Detroit, 1875; entered into partnership with his brother, Alphonse De Man, in same line of business, 1882; bought out brother's interest July 17, 1900, and continued under firm name of De Man Bros., which was incorporated Mar. 28, 1906, as De Man Bros. Co., retail dealers in sash, doors, etc. Republican. Catholic. Office: 416 Maybury Grand Av. & M. C. R. R. Residence: 1003 Warren Av., W.
DENBY, Edwin, lawyer, member of Congress; born, Evansville, Ind., Feb. 18, 1870; son of Charles and Martha (Fitch) Denby; educated in Evansville High School, University of Michigan, LL.B., Law Department, 1896; unmarried. Went to China, 1885, with his father, then U.S. minister; joined Chinese Imperial Maritime Customs Service, June 1887, and served seven years; returned to U. S., 1894; resigned from customs service, 1897. Admitted to bar in Michigan, 1896, and has since practiced in Detroit; member law firm of Chamberlain, May, Denby & Webster; president Pacific Era Publishing Co. Gunner's mate U. S. Navy, war with Spain. Republican; elected to Michigan legislature, 1902; member of Congress, 1st district, 1905-07. Episcopalian. Clubs: Detroit, University, Detroit Boat. Office: Moffat Bldg. Residence: 402 Jefferson Av.
DESNER, Frederick, manufacturer of boilers and sheet iron work; born, Prussia, Sept. 21, 1850; son of Frederick and Maria Desner; came to America with parents, 1858; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, 1891, Catherine Nede. Began learning boiler making in employ of Buchannan & Carrol, April, 1865; then was connected with the Dry Dock Boiler Works for eight years; assisted in organizing the East End Boiler Works, 1885, and has since been senior member of the firm. Republican. Member Masonic order (32), Knights Templar, Shrine. Recreation: Boating. Office: 11-19 St. Aubin Av. Residence: 255 E. Grand Blvd.
DeSTEIGER, Albert, wholesale furs; born, Mt. Clemens, Mich., Dec. 1, 1854; son of Rudolph and Mary (Godfrey) DeSteiger; educated in public schools of Mt. Clemens; married at St. Ignace, Mich., 1890, Kate McNamar. Conducted dry goods and general store in Mt. Clemens, 1874-84; removed to Detroit and was member firm of Walter Buhl & Co., wholesale furs, 1884-95; organized firm of DeSteiger & Co., 1895, and continues in charge of the business. Member Wholesaler' Association of Detroit. Democrat. Recreations: Reading, theater. Office: 212 Jefferson Av. Residence: 79 Palmer Av., E.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thurs, 03-June-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN