THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 155 - 157
Many Thanks to Jan Damann for transcribing this work!
|DWYER, James, vice president and
general manager Peninsular Stove Co.; born, Detroit Sept. 6, 1842; son of Michael and Mary
(O'Donnell) Dwyer; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Poughkeepsie, N. Y.,
Sept. 4, 1862, Susan Lane. Began active career by learning trade of machinist with Charles
Kelly & Co., Detroit, continuing with the company 5 years; worked at trade in New York
and at Poughkeepsie for 6 years; returned to Detroit, 1866, and joined in business with
his brother, who organized firm of J. Dwyer & Co., 1861, which became Detroit Stove
Works, 1864; became general manager of the firm upon retirement of his brother, and so
continued until 1880; organized with Hon. Wm. B. Moran and R. McD. Campau, the Peninsular
Stove., 1881, of which has been vice president and general manager since time of
organization. Democrat as to politics. Catholic in religious affiliation. Club: Detroit.
Office: Fort, between 8th and 9th Avs. Residence: 421 Jefferson Av.
DWYER, Jeremiah, stove manufacturer; born, Brooklyn, N. Y., Aug. 22, 1838; son of Michael and Mary (O'Donnell) Dwyer; moved to Detroit, 1838; educated in common schools, Detroit; married at Detroit, Nov. 22, 1859, Mary Long. Father having been killed in accident, 1848, he took charge of the farm 4 miles from Detroit until it could be sold; after a short time more at school, began work in a saw and planing mill; then was apprenticed for 4 years to Hydraulic Iron Works, learning foundry trade; worked in several shops, and with brother, James, organized firm of J. Dwyer & Co., stove founders, in 1861, which became the Detroit Stove Works, 1864; sold out in 1869 and went South for health; returned in 1871 and with associates established the Michigan Stove Co., of which he is still president. He is also director People's State Savings Bank, The Michigan Copper and Brass Co., and the Ideal Manufacturing Co., Detroit. Catholic in religion. Liberal Democrat in politics. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Recreation: Traveling abroad. Office: 1022 Jefferson Av. Residence: 692 Jefferson Av.
DWYER, John M., secretary Peninsular Stove Co.; director Security Trust Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: Peninsular Stove Co. Residence: 839 Jefferson Av.
DWYER, William A., vice president and general manager The Art Stove Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: 1549 Russell St. Residence: 692 Jefferson Av.
DYAR, Ralph Maynard, manufacturer; born, Detroit, June 26, 1874; son of John B. and Julia E. (Maynard) Dyar; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, June 18, 1901, Helen L. Stearns. Began active career with the American Radiator Co., Detroit, 1894, continuing until 1898; upon death of his father took charge of the family estate and continues as manager. President Mexican Crude Rubber Co., Detroit Mailing Machine Co., Cochrane-Cobalt Mining Co.; secretary Trussed Concrete Steel Co.; director, American Radiator Co., National Bank of Commerce. Republican. Trustee Village of Grosse Pointe Farms. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Recreation: Hunting and fishing. Office: Penobscot Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.
EARLE, Horatio Sawyer, state highway commissioner, manufacturer; born, Mt. Holly, Vt., Feb. 14, 1855; son of Nelson C. and Eliza A. (Sawyer) Earle; educated in district school at Mt. Holly, two terms at Black River Academy, Ludlow, Vt., and two terms in drafting, at night school, Chicopee Falls, Mass.; married, 1st, Mt. Holly, Feb. 15, 1874, Agnes L. Lincoln, of Plymouth Vt. (now deceased); again, Chicopee Falls, Aug. 23, 1882, Anna M. Keyes. Lived on farm till 19; worked in iron foundry, became foreman, inventor, patentee, traveling man; president Sunley Finish Color Co., Detroit; treasurer H. S. Earle Manufacturing Co., Detroit; sales manager, North Wayne Tool Co., Hallowell and North Wayne, Me. Assistant chief fire department, Chicopee Falls, 1883; appointed chairman Michigan L. A. W. Good Roads committee, 1895, and elected chief consul for Michigan Division, 1898; state senator, 1900; president National L. A. W., 1906; chairman Michigan Highway Commission, 1901; state highway commissioner since 1903 (reappointed, 1905). President National Convict Labor Good Roads Association; founder American Roadmakers' Association. Mason (32), Shriner; member I. O. O. F., Elks, Grange, O. E. S. Clubs: Detroit Wheelmen, Torrington (Conn.) Wheelmen. Office: 196 W. Alexandrine Av. Residence: 705 4th Av.
EAST, Caleb Mills, secretary and treasurer Murphy Iron Works; born, Ontario, Can., Aug. 29, 1852; son of William and Margaret (Mills) East; educated at Park Hill, Ont., Normal School, Toronto, and Trinity Medical College; married at Vienna, Can., 1880, Elizabeth Horley. Taught school for 5 years in Canada; came to Detroit, 1881, and was bookkeeper for 6 years for J. & T. Hurley; began in manufacturing business, 1888, with the Murphy Iron Works, of which he has been secretary and treasurer since 1905; also treasurer Murphy Co., Ltd., since its organization in 1899. Republican. Methodist. Supreme Finance-keeper of International Congress (fraternal order). Recreation: Interested in the study and cultivation of plants and shrubbery with a view to beautifying homes. Office: Foot of Walker St. Residence: 94 Atkinson Av.
EATHERLY, Florance Darling, lumber manufacturer; born, Coldingham, Scotland, Nov. 22, 1834; son of John and Isabella (Sherlaw) Eatherly; came to America, 1850; educated in public schools; married at New Milford, Pa., Nov. 19, 1879, Kate K. Moss. Began learning carpenter's trade at Detroit, 1850, under Hugh Moffat; entered manufacture of lumber, 1852, became partner in form of Moffat, Eatherly & Co., 1870, and has been sole proprietor of the business since death of Mr. Moffat, 1884; president and treasurer U. S. Frumentum Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason (32), Knight Templar, Mystic Shriner. Recreation: Farming. Office: 501 Moffat Blk. Residence: 636 Jefferson Av.
EATON, Levi F., president Peninsular Engraving Co.; born, Windsor, Vt., Sept. 20, 1851; son of Hezekiah C. and Elizabeth (Damon) Eaton; educated in public and private schools; married at Pomfret, Conn., Aug. 28, 1882, Susan Medbury. Began active career as bookkeeper in provision house of Meriden, Conn., 1867, and later engaged in provision business for himself; entered engraving business at Meriden, 1883, under title of the Illustrating Engraving Co., later becoming Eaton & Peck Co.; sold out interest to Meriden Gravure Co. and came to Detroit, 1891, as foreman of engraving department of Winn & Hammond Engraving Co.; organized the Peninsular Engraving Co., 1895, of which has been the head since time of organization. Independent Republican. Baptist. Vice President Employing Photo Gravure Association; member Detroit Board of Commerce, Employers' Association of Detroit. Mason (32), Shriner. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreation: Motor boating. Office: 73 Fort St., W. Residence: 50 Atkinson Av.
EATON, Theodore Horatio, doing business under firm name of Theo. H. Eaton & Son, importer and dealer in chemicals and dye stuffs; born, Skaneatles, N. Y., Jan., 1842; son of Theodore H. and Anne Eliza (Gibbs) Eaton; educated in private schools of New York State, Charlier University, New York City, and by travel abroad; married in New Jersey, 1888, Miss Eliza Walton Clark. Began business career, 1859, in his father's chemical and dye house (founded, 1838), was admitted partnership, 1866, and upon death of his father, 1888, became sole proprietor of the business. Director Detroit Iron & Steel Co.; advisory director Security Trust Co. Member Society of Colonial Wars, Society of Colonial Governors, Huguenot Society of America, Sons of American Revolution, Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Episcopalian. Clubs: Detroit, Country. Recreation: Literature. Office: 26-30 Woodward Av. Residence: 484 Jefferson Av.
EDDY, Frank Woodman, merchant and manufacture; born, Warsaw, N. Y., July 29, 1851; son of Rev. Zachary (D. D.) and Malvina R. (Cochran) Eddy; educated at Round Hill School and public schools, Northampton, Mass.; Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, Brooklyn, N. Y.; Williams College, Williamstown, Mass.; married at Detroit, Sept. 10, 1879, Florence Taylor. Began business career in employ of wholesale hardware firm of Mulford & Sprague, New York City; went to California, 1873, and engaged while there in hardware, newspaper and printing business; came to Detroit, 1875, and since 1876 has been member of firm of H. D. Edwards & Co., rubber goods, mill supplies and ship chandlers. Also president National Can Co.; director Detroit Oak Belting Co., Nelson Baker & Co., Morgan & Wright Rubber Goods Manufacturing Co. (N. Y.), Wayne County Savings Bank, Detroit Trust Co. Republican. Congregationalist. Mason; member Delta Psi. Clubs: Detroit (ex-president), Yondotega, Detroit Athletic (ex-president), Automobile, Country, Detroit Boat, Caledon Mountain Trout, Big Point, Old Club. Recreations: Shooting and fishing. Office: 16-24 Woodward Av. Residence: 32 Stimson Pl.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thurs, 03-June-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN