THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 167 - 170
Special Thanks to Marge Hall of China, Michigan, for transcribing these pages.
FERGUSON, Archibald Willard, manager R. G. Dun & Co.; born, Hamilton, Ont., Nov. 20, 1859; educated at Galt Collegiate Institute and Hellmuth College, Ont. Entered employ of R. G. Dun & Co. at Hamilton, 1877; has been manager at Detroit since 1893. Episcopalian. Member Board of Commerce, Detroit. Mason. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Country, Old Club. Recreation: Outdoor diversions. Office: 3d floor Union Trust Bldg. Residence: Pasadena Apts.
FERRY, Dexter Mason, Jr., secretary D. M. Ferry & Co.; born, Detroit, Nov. 22, 1873; son of Dexter M. and Addie E. (Miller) Ferry; educated in public schools of Detroit, University of Michigan, and at Columbia University, graduating, degree of A. B., 1898. Married, Pittsburg, Oct. 1, 1907, Miss Jeannette Hawkins. Began active career with National Pin Co.; was elected secretary D. M. Ferry & Co., seeds, 1899, and still continues. Also treasurer National Pin Co.; director Standard Life and Accident Insurance Co., American Harrow Co., Security Trust Co., Michigan Savings Bank, and officer and director in many other companies. President State Board of Education; member Michigan Legislature, 1901-02 and 1903-04. Republican. Congregationalist. Member Delta Kappa Epsilon, Michigan and Columbia University fraternities. Clubs: Detroit, Country, University, Detroit Boat (treasurer). Office: D. M. Ferry & Co. Residence: 1040 Woodward Av.
FICK, Levi J., lawyer; born, Liberty, Pa., Nov. 23, 1848; son of John and Elizabeth (Brion) Fick; graduate State Normal School, Mansfield, Pa., June, 1873; graduate Lafayette College, Pa., Bachelor of Elements (B.E.), 1873, B.A., 1880, M.A., later; married at Philadelphia, Pa., Sept. 19, 1881, Elizabeth Shenton (now deceased); again, Corry, Pa., Oct. 28, 1905, Izora V. Hall. Earned money to pay his way through college by teaching school; was principal of academy at New London, Pa., 1880-81; removed to Michigan and entered Law Department, University of Michigan, was admitted to the bar, 1883, and began practice at Detroit, where he has since continued. Democrat. Member Palestine Lodge, F.&A.M. (trustee); Peninsular Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Columbus Lodge No. I, Columbian League (Commander). Club: Durand (treasurer). Recreation: Literature. Office: 202 Whitney Opera House Blk. Residence: 350 W. Alexandrine Av.
FIELD, George Samuel, lawyer; born New York City, Mar. 22, 1869; son of William F. and Rebecca (Johnston) Field; graduate Corunna (Mich.) High School, 1892; University of Michigan, Law Department, degree of L.L. B., 1895. Married at Perry, Mich., Feb. 2, 1897, Amy E. Morrice. Began practice at East Jordan, Mich., 1895; removed to Detroit, 1895; member law firm of Barbour & Field. Director and attorney Citizens Savings Bank. Formerly circuit commissioner Charlevoix Co., city attorney, member Board of Education, alderman Sixth ward, city of Detroit. Republican. Congregationalist. Member Palestine Lodge, F.&A.M.; Royal Arcanum. Recreations: Baseball and boating. Office: 30 Buhl Blk. Residence: 1107 Brooklyn Av.
FILER, Frank, born, Manistee, Mich., Aug. 21, 1854; son of Delos L. and Juliette (Golden) Filer; educated in public schools of Manistee; married at Ludington, Mich., 1883, Myrtle L. Carter. Began active career in lumber business at Ludington, 1872; was member of firm of Gibbs & Filer, and later Cartier & Filer, lumber dealers; was proprietor for 15 years of Ludington Electric Light and Power Co.; removed to Detroit, fall of 1901, and became associated with the Standard Tie Co., 1902, of which he has since been president. Director Citizens Savings Bank, Detroit. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Ex-alderman, Ludington. Congregationalist. Member Masonic order (32º), Knight Templar, Shriner. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Automobile. Recreations: Horses and automobiling. Office: 1217 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 25 W. Canfield Av.
FINCH, Edward Brush, manufacturer; born, Holly, Mich., Oct. 16, 1872; son of Nathaniel A. and Mary (Hadley) Finch; educated in Owosso (Mich.). High School and University of Michigan, class 1896; married at Detroit, Jan. 17, 1900, Miss May Pungs. Began manufacture of bicycles and automobiles, as E. B. Finch & Co., 1897; then became secretary and treasurer of the Pungs-Finch Auto & Gas Engine Co., which positions he still holds; has been manager of technical department of the Packard Motor Car Co. since July, 1906. President American Novelty Co.; secretary Avon Realty Co. Ex-member Michigan National Guard and Michigan Naval Reserves. Presbyterian. Member Sigma Alpha Epsilon. Clubs: Detroit Boat, Detroit Automobile. Recreations: Motoring, boating. Office: Packard Motor Car Co. Residence: 1232 Woodward Av.
FINCK, Leon C., superintendent of stock, finishing and shipping division, main laboratories of Parke, Davis & Co., Detroit; also first vice president Detroit Regalia Co.; born in Sodus, Wayne Co., N.Y., Oct. 1, 1860; son of David and Mary (Fitzsimmons) Finck; attended public schools in Syracuse, N.Y.; married, at Detroit, Nov. 25, 1902, Miss Mary Shaughnessy. Entered the pharmacy of Brown & Dawson, Syracuse, N.Y., at the age of 13 years, was advanced to leading prescription clerk and held that position until 1880; resigned and moved to Detroit; was appointed to a position in the laboratories of Parke, Davis & Co. in July, 1880; appointed foreman of Extract Department when 21 years old; foreman of General Pharmaceutical Department 9 years; manager of Digestive Ferment Department several years; head of Control Department and assistant superintendent 10 years; member and secretary of Board of Control governing Main Laboratories, 6 years; 28 years with Parke, Davis & Co. Chief of Parke, Davis & Cos Fire Department, in which he has served as an officer during 25 years; professor of practical pharmacy, Detroit College of Medicine, 1891-92; registered pharmacist. Member Board of Managers Michigan Society Sons of American Revolution; member Society of Colonial Wars, and several other historical societies. Recreations: Baseball pitcher, expert trick rider on high bicycle, etc.; now divides leisure between driving automobile, genealogical research and library. Office: Parke, Davis & Co., Laboratories. Residence: 145 Orleans St.
FINCK, William Muir, born, Lyons, N.Y., June 25, 1854; son of David and Mary (Fitzsimmons) Finck; educated in public schools of Syracuse, N.Y.; married at Buffalo, N.Y., June 16, 1899, Katherine Rheinor. Came to Detroit, 1876; began manufacture of overalls as partner of firm of Fitzsimmons & Finck, 1886, continuing until 1891; member of firm of Hamilton Carhartt & Co., 1891-02, and since Apr., 1902, president and secretary of W. M. Finck & Co., manufacturers of overalls. Recreations: Automobiling, fine arts. Office: 1160 Gratiot Av. Residence: 145 Van Dyke Av.
FINN, Albert Henry, treasurer and manager The Franklin Press; born, St. Clair, Mich., June 15, 1862; son of Rev. Silas and Cynthia (Eaton) Finn; educated in public schools and Kalamazoo College; married, Detroit, June 30, 1886, Katherine Scott. Began active career as clerk in general store at Royal Oak, Mich.; established, 1879, the Royal Oak Midget, of which he was editor and proprietor; removed the business to Capac, Mich., 1879, and there published the Capac Argus; later became editor and publisher of the Fort Gratiot Sun and the Port Huron Tribune; came to Detroit, 1890, as advertising manager of The Detroit Journal, and became business manager and assistant general manager, retiring with change of ownership; was connected with The Chicago Tribune, 1901; returned to Detroit, 1902, and bought The Christian Herald, of which he was editor and publisher for 4 years; established The Franklin Press, publishers and printers, 1903, and also bought The Pilgrim, a magazine published in Battle Creek, Mich., which he moved to Detroit and became its editor and publisher. Independent Republican. Baptist; trustee North Baptist Church; member National Council Baptist Brotherhood. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, Sons of American Revolution. Mason. Recreations; Golf, fishing, traveling. Office: 39-45 Congress St., W. Residence: 120 Virginia Av.
FINN, John, contractor; born, Queens Co., Ireland, May 2, 1853; son of George and Frances (Carroll) Finn; came to America at 18; educated in public schools of Ireland and Detroit; married at Brighton., Mich., 1880, Miss Margaret Russell. Began career in Detroit in employ of William Carpenter, learning the bricklaying trade, 1873; has erected many buildings in Detroit. Independent in politics. Catholic. President Builders Exchange; member Detroit Board of Commerce. Recreation: Reading. Office: 12-13 Peninsular Bldg. Residence: 140 Chandler Av.
FISHER, Robert L., wholesale millinery; born, Detroit, Sept. 6, 1872; son of Albert C. and Frances (Guerin) Fisher; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Birmingham, Mich., Feb. 22, 1897, Miss Stella Rundel. Began active career in jewelry business, continuing 1890-98; has been secretary and treasurer of the Mitchell-Moody-Garton Co., wholesale milliners, etc., since 1898. Director Detroit Wholesalers Association. Club: Commercial. Office: 158-160 Jefferson Av. Residence: 46 Gladstone Av.
FISK, William T., manufacturer; born, Detroit, Nov. 12, 1870; son of William J. and Emma (Fillery) Fisk; educated in Detroit public schools, Olivet College and Detroit Business University; married at Marshall, Mich., 1895, Miss Grace Ackerson. Engaged in shoe manufacturing business, 1893-03; has been chairman The Casket Hardware Manufacturing Co. since 1903. Episcopalian. Member Masonic order, Knights Templar. Recreation: Reading. Office: 818-820 Warren Av., W. Residence: 326 Calumet Av.
FITZPATRICK, William George, lawyer; born, Hoyts Corners, O., Nov. 29, 1875; son of Edward and Catherine (Kennedy) Fitzpatrick; educated in public schools of Saginaw Co., Mich.; St. Marys Seminary, Saginaw, 1883; Sacred Heart Academy, Au Sable, Mich., 1885-90; Detroit Business University, 1893-94; Detroit College of Law, 1895-97; degree of LL. B., 1897; married at Detroit, June 26, 1901, Katherine Elizabeth Farnam. Began reading law in office of Hon. T. E. Tarsney, 1894; became member of firm as Tarsney & Fitzpatrick, 1898, which still continues. Member Detroit Bar Association, Michigan State Bar Association. Democrat. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus, Knights of Equity. Club: North Channel. Recreations: Hunting and fishing. Office: 404-406 Whitney Bldg. Residence: 145 Blaine Av.
FIXEL, Arthur Ellis, lawyer; born, Saginaw, E. S., Mich., Feb. 22, 1885; son of Adolphus and Bertha (Klein) Fixel; educated in public schools of Saginaw, 1890-98; Saginaw E. S. High School, 1898-1900; graduate Detroit Central High School, 1900-02; Law Department, University of Michigan, 1903-05, graduating, LL. B., 1905; unmarried. Has practiced in Detroit since June, 1905. Member Harmonie Society, Alumni Association University of Michigan. Office: 503 Hammond Bldg. Residence: 557 3rd Av.
FLINN, Elisha H.; born, Riga, N.Y., Dec. 16, 1843; son of James R. and Mary A. (Harmon) Flinn; educated in public and private schools of LeRoy, N.Y.; married, Detroit, Sept. 21, 1871, Samantha Whitwood. Studied law and was admitted to the bar in Detroit, 1868; practiced until 1885, when he and G. O. Robinson withdrew to devote their attention to private interests; has been an extensive operator in iron and timber interests, as member of firm of Robinson & Flinn, since 1871. Also president Farrand Co.; vice president Old Detroit National Bank; director Wayne County Savings Bank, Detroit Trust Co., Pacific Lumber Co., F. A. Thompson Co.; president Lake Superior Iron & Chemical Co.; trustee Grace Hospital. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Huron Mountain. Recreations: Trout fishing and golf. Office: 1220 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 27 Putnam Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
Powered by counter.bloke.com
This page was last updated on Thursday, March 30, 2000. 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN