THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 195 - 197
Special Thanks to Marge Hall of China, Michigan, for transcribing these pages.
GRAHAM, Alexander D., manufacturer; born, Sidney, O., May 24, 1855; son of Thomas B. and Jane E. (nee Ginn) Graham; educated in public and high schools of Sidney. Married, Sidney, O., Mar. 28, 1876, Olive DeWeese (died, May 23, 1890). Began in dry goods business in Ohio, 1877; removed to Detroit, 1894, and continued in same line of business for 3 years; assisted in organizing the Bell-Graham Co., of which he is president, 1900, and has since engaged in manufacture of dress skirts and petticoats. Recreation: Reading. Office: 11 W. Woodbridge St. Residence: 579 Woodward Av.
GRAHAM, Burke M., manufacturer; born, Rochester, N.Y., Apr. 5, 1854; son of Ansel B. and Sarah M. Graham; educated in public and high schools of Rochester; married, Detroit, 1878, Carrie Stringer. Came to Detroit, 1869, and began business career as clerk for Hayden & Baldwin, harness and saddlery, later becoming traveling salesman for the firm; formed partnership with Edwin E. and Henry I. Armstrong in firm of Armstrong & Graham, 1880, wholesalers and manufacturers of harness and saddlery, and has since continued as member of the firm. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Old Club. Recreations: Fishing and hunting. Office: 132 Jefferson Av. Residence: 69 Davenport St.
GRAHAM, Don M., physician and dentist; born in Dutton, Ont., Can., Aug. 4, 1874; son of Neil and Margaret (McKillop) Graham; educated in public and high schools of Glencoe, Ont.; D.D.S., Dental Department, Detroit College of Medicine, 1898; M.D., Medical Department, same college, 1902; unmarried. Began practice of dentistry, 1898, and has engaged in medical practice therewith since 1902, specializing in oral surgery; lecturer Dental Department, Detroit College of Medicine. Presbyterian. Member 1st District Dental Society of Michigan (secretary), Michigan Dental Society, American Medical Association, Michigan State and Wayne County Medical societies. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Motor Boat. Recreation: Motor boating. Office: 605 Washington Arcade. Residence: 783 Woodward Av.
GRANT, Schuyler; born, Rushford, N.Y., Sept. 25, 1840; son of Harlow K. and Emily (Rathbun) Grant; moved with family to Rockville, Conn., 1848; educated in public schools of Rockville; Connecticut Literary Institution, Suffield, Conn.; University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1860-64, graduating with degree of A.B., 1864; married at Ann Arbor, 1865, Alice E. Smith. Was identified with educational institutions at Hartford, Conn., and Providence, R.I., for about a year and a half after leaving university; in employ of First National Bank, Ann Arbor, 1867-69, and became cashier of newly organized Ann Arbor Savings Bank, 1869; came to Detroit, 1874, and entered employ of the Mutual Life Insurance Co. of New York as correspondent and became cashier, manager and general agent, retiring from insurance business in 1899, to devote attention to personal affairs. Republican. Baptist; trustee and treasurer Woodward Av. Baptist Church for 30 years. Trustee Kalamazoo College 25 years, and chairman of board since 1900. Club: Old Club. Office: 80 Griswold St. Residence: 1245 Woodward Av.
GRAY, David; born, Detroit, Jan. 20, 1870; son of John S. and Anna (Hayward) Gray; educated in public schools of Detroit; married, Detroit, May 16, 1894, Martha L. Platt. Began active career as clerk in Preston National Bank, 1888; treasurer Gray, Toynton & Fox, 1889; secretary and treasurer Gray Motor Co. since 1905. Vice president Detroit Leather Specialty Co.; director Ford Motor Co. Republican. Member Disciples of Christ (church); Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Country, Boat, Racquet, Automobile, Motor Boat, Boat Club Yachtsman. Recreations: Automobiling, motor boating, golf. Office: Lieb and Larned Sts. Residence: 165 Parker Av.
GRAY, John W., druggist; born, Ontario, Can., Jan. 11, 1861; son of William F. and Adeline E. (Benn) Gray; educated in common schools of Ontario; came to Detroit, Mar., 1886; married at Detroit, June 29, 1892, Martha J. Seabury. Began drug business in Detroit, Aug., 1886, as member of the firm of Hurd & Gray, 208 Woodward Av.; firm incorporated 1898, as Hurd & Gray Co., later becoming Gray & Worcester, wholesale and retail dealers in drugs, and has continued under that title. Member Maccabees. Recreations: Gardening and outdoor sports. Office: 208 Woodward Av., Detroit. Residence: 56 Winder St., Detroit; summer residence: Grosse Ile, Mich.
GRAY, Paul Robert, manager National Candy Co.; born, Detroit, July 24, 1867; son of John Simpson and Anna (Hayward) Gray; educated in Detroit High School, 1882-86, and Michigan University, 1886-90, graduating, degree of A.B., 1890; married, Detroit, Jan. 23, 1900, Frances Noble. Has been connected with the manufacture of candy in Detroit since beginning of his business career, and since 1902 as manager of the Detroit branch of the National Candy Co. Also vice president Gray Motor Co. and Knock-Down Manufacturing Co.; secretary Gray, Toynton & Fox Factory; director German-American Bank. Was member Michigan Naval Reserves for 3 years. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Member Christian Church, Psi Upsilon. Clubs: University, Detroit Boat. Recreations: Automobiling and other outdoor diversions. Office: 37 E. Woodbridge St. Residence: 154 Van Dyke Av.
GRAY, Robert T., lawyer; born, Detroit, Dec. 26, 1859; son of William and Mary (Stewart) Gray; educated in public schools of Detroit; University of Michigan, graduating, degree of A.B., 1882; Harvard Law School, degree of LL.B., 1884. Married at New York City, Apr. 29, 1889, Elizabeth Mandell. Entered law office of his brother, William J., 1884, and has been member firm of Gray & Gray since 1888. Director White Star Line, Detroit Legal News. Independent in politics. Episcopalian as to church affiliation. Member Delta Kappa Epsilon. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Detroit Boat. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 623 Moffat Blk. Residence: 565 Jefferson Av.
GRAY, William D., railway official; born, Mt. Orab, O., Sept. 17, 1862; son of Leander and Sarah J. (Day) Gray; educated in public schools of Ohio; unmarried. Began in railway service as telegraph operator and station agent Cincinnati & Eastern Ry., at Mt. Orab, 1878, continuing until 1880; in same capacity at Winchester, O., 1880-82; in auditors office, same road, at Cincinnati, 1882-86; auditor Ohio & Northwestern Ry., and its successor, the Cincinnati, Portsmouth & Virginia Rd., 1895-01, Dayton, Lebanon & Cincinnati R.R., 1893-02; general auditor South Carolina & George Extension R.R., 1899-02; auditor Cincinnati, Portsmouth & Virginia R.R., 1901-02; auditor Detroit Southern R.R. and its successor, the Detroit, Toledo & Ironton Ry., since June, 1901; also auditor Ann Arbor R.R. since Aug., 1905. Republican. Methodist. Club: Detroit Boat. Recreations: Horseback riding, golf and other outdoor diversions. Office: Penobscot Bldg. Residence: Hotel Ste. Claire.
GRAY, William J., lawyer; born, Detroit, July 9, 1857; son of William and Mary (Stewart) Gray; educated in public schools of Detroit and Literary Department, University of Michigan, graduating, degree of A.B., 1877; married at Detroit, June 2, 1887, Hannah Van Vechten Hammond. Studied law in office of R. P. Toms, Detroit; was admitted to the bar, 1879, and has ever since engaged in practice in Detroit; member of law firm of Gray & Gray since 1888. Director Security Trust Co., Michigan Savings Bank, Detroit, Belle Isle & Windsor Ferry Co. Independent in politics. Episcopalian. Member Delta Kappa Epsilon. Clubs: Detroit, University, Country, Detroit Boat. Recreation: Outdoor sports. Office: 623 Moffat Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.
GREEN, Andrew H., Jr., manager Solvay process; born in Syracuse, N.Y.; educated at Cornell University, Sibley College of Engineering. Began active career with Solvay Process Co. of America, manufacturers of by-products, at general headquarters of the company, Syracuse, 1886; has been in charge of companys office in Detroit since 1897. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Yondotega, Fellowcraft. Office: 2100 Jefferson Av., W., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.
GREEN, Irving W., secretary and assistant treasurer Parker Bros. Co., Ltd.; born, Suncook, N.H., Nov. 4, 1862; son of Nelson and Mary E. (Colby) Green; educated in public schools, Escanaba, Mich., and in high school and business college, Detroit; married, Windsor, Ont., Feb. 6, 1890, Hannah B. Thompson, of Chicago. Began business career in Detroit, March, 1880, as bookkeeper for A. A. Parker & Bro., and at time of reorganization, Mar. 9, 1903, became secretary and assistant treasurer of the incorporated company, wholesale and retail coal, coke, sand, fire brick, fire and marine insurance, wrecking and vessel agents. Vice president Roseland Park Cemetery Association; director Epicure Baking Co. Republican. Methodist. Member B.P.O.E. Recreation: Baseball. Office: 15 Atwater St., W. Residence: 330 Kirby Av., W.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Thursday, March 30, 2000. 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN