THE BOOK OF DETROITERS

A Biographical Dictionary of

Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit

Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis

Chicago

A. N. Marquis & Company

1908

Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis

Pages 349 - 352

waynebod1.jpg (17577 bytes)

Special Thanks to Edie Dees for transcribing these pages.

wayneline1.jpg (1778 bytes)

Page 349

O’DONNELL, James H., secretary and treasurer Schroeder Paint and Glass Co.; born, Detroit, Sept. 23, 1861; son of James and Johanna (Fitzgerald) O’Donnell; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, May 26, 1897, Miss Margaret Glass (died, June 4, 1903). Began active career in accounting department of Michigan Central R.R. and later was connected with accounting department of the Peninsular Car Co.; became identified with American Eagle Tobacco Co., wholesale tobacco, 1880; joined with Mr. Schroeder and started the Schroeder Paint and Glass Co., 1897, in which has since continued. Member Commercial Club, Detroit Paint, Oil and Varnish Club (president), Detroit Credit men’s Association. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus, R.A., C.M.B.A. recreations: Boating and other outdoor diversions. Office: 44 Cadillac Sq. Residence: 101 Pitcher St.

O’FLYNN, Cornelius John, lawyer; born, Detroit, Jan. 23, 1838; son of Cornelius and Mary Ann (Watson) O’Flynn; educated in public and private schools of Detroit and at Georgetown College, Washington, D.D., degree of A.B., 1858; studied law and was admitted to the bar, Nov., 1861; married, Detroit, June 8, 1863, Mary Josephine Taylor. Has practiced in Detroit since 1861; one of the organizers of the People’s Savings Bank; trustee and clerk Mt. Elliott Cemetery; ex-member Board of Education, Detroit. Democrat. Catholic. Recreation: Light reading. Office: 201 Buhl Blk. Residence: Blodgett Terrace.

O’HARA, Charles J., machinery; born, Toledo, O., May 7, 1854; son of Charles and Elizabeth (Knaggs) O’Hara; educated in public school, Christian Bros. College, Chicago, and at Farmer’s College, College Hill, near Cincinnati, O.; married at Greenwich, R.I., Oct. 23, 1889, Jane Way Howland. Has been identified with machinery business since he was 17 years of age; came to Detroit, 1887; treasurer C.C. Wormer & Co. since its organization in 1889. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Office: 99-101 Woodbridge, W. Residence: 73 Delaware Av.

wayneline1.jpg (1778 bytes)

OHLIGER, Willard, chemist; born, Wooster, O., Nov. 26, 1877; son of Louis P.O. and Emma (McClure) Ohliger; educated at University of Wooster, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia College of Pharmacy, receiving degree of Ph.D., 1900; married at Wooster, O., June 11, 1892, Agatha Hard. Entered scientific department of Parke, Davis & Co., Detroit, 1900; became connected with Frederick Stearns & Co. as experimental chemist, 1901, and has been chief chemist and director of manufacturing since 1904. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Detroit Chemical Society, Society of Chemical Industry (London), American Pharmaceutical Association, Beta Theta Pi (University of Pennsylvania). Member Ohio Society. Mason (Ebenezer Lodge, Wooster). Club: Detroit Boat. Office: Frederick Stearns & Co. Residence: 75 Medbury Av

Page 350

OLIN, Rollin Carolus, physician; born, Waukesha, Wis.; Aug. 17, 1839; son of Thomas H. and Sarah A. (Church) Olin; educated in public schools of Waukesha until about 11; at Professor Root’s private school, two years; moved to Northfield, Minn., and attended Minnesota State Normal School, 1860, and spring of 1861; graduate Medical Department, University of Michigan, degree of M.D., June, 1877; married at Syracuse, N.Y., June 15, 1887, Grace E. Hillis. Enlisted as private in Co. B, 3d Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, Aug. 12, 1861; commissioned 2d lieutenant, Sept. 12, 1861, 1st lieutenant, May 16, 1862, captain and assistant adjutant general U.S. Volunteers, Mar. 11, 1863; mustered out and honorably discharged, Feb., 1866. Taught school, 1859-61; book seller, 1867; bookkeeper in bank, 1865-72; grain buyer, 2873-74; has engaged in practice of medicine at Detroit since June, 1877. Homeopath. Member American Institute of Homeopathy, Michigan State Homeopathic Association, Practitioners’ Club, Detroit. Member of Detroit Post, No. 318, G.A.R., and Loyal Legion, Michigan Commandery. Club: Old Club of St. Clair Flats. Recreations: Fishing and shooting. Office: 32 W. Adams Av. Residence: 110 Henry St.

O’NEIL, Charles Stewart Parnell, lawyer, born, Detroit, Sept. 26, 1883; son of John James and Mary Ann (Dwyer) O’Neil; educated at Our Lady of Help parochial school; A.B., Detroit (Jesuit) College, 1907, A.M., 1906; LL.B., Detroit College of Law, 1906; unmarried. Has practiced in Detroit since July 1, 1906; member of firm of McHugh & O’Neil. Republican. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 705-707 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 187 Jos Campau Av.

wayneline1.jpg (1778 bytes)

OSBORN, Frank Conrad, president and manager F.C. Osborn Co.; born, Bridgeport, N.Y., Dec. 10, 1856; son of Ozias and Mary C. (Herbener) Osborn; educated in public schools, Cazenovia (N.Y.) Seminary and Syracuse University, graduating, degree of Ph.B., 1885; married at Huntington, Ind., June 22, 1891, Laura A. Freele. Taught in public schools, Fayetteville, N.Y., 1880-82; traveling representative Ginn & Co., publishers school and college text books, Illinois, Indiana and Michigan, headquarters in Chicago, 1885-89; located in Detroit, 1889, and invented and designed several styles of cash registers and other machinery; organized the Osborn Cash Register Co., Ltd., 1896, and was secretary and mechanical superintendent of same until sold out to National Cash Register Co. in 1900; organized Standard Computing Scale Co., Ltd., 1889, to manufacture computing scales of his invention and design, and was general manager and secretary of same, 1889-01, when he sold out; or- design (now manufacturing round paper box machinery), and has been president and general manager of the company since time of its organization and incorporation; on inventions staff of the National Cash Register Co., 1900-04; invented and put on the market the O.K. Computing Cheese Cutter, now made and marketed by the Standard Computing Co.; has been granted thirty-six United States mechanical expert in a number of important patent suits. Republican. Member Delta Upsilon. Club: Peninsular Delta Upsilon. Office; 65-67 Larned St. W. Residence: 64 Lawrence Av.

Page 351

OSBORNE, Fred S., banker, and broker; born, Bloomington, Wis., May 13, 1867; son of Aaron S. and Virtue E. (Sealy) Osborne; educated in public schools of Bloomington. Began active career,1884, in Detroit office of George K. Sistares & Sons, bankers and brothers, New York, and lager became manager of the office junior partner Cameron, Currie & Co., bankers, 1892-02;has been in business on his own account as Fred S. Osborne & Col, since 1904. Secretary treasurer Esperanza Cobalt Mines Co. Member Chicago Board of Trade, Chicago Mining Stock Exchange, Detroit Board of Commerce. Republican. Member Masonic order (32o), Shrine. Clubs: Detroit, Fellowcraft. Office: Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 709 Brush St.

OSIUS, George, manufacturer; born, Berncastel, Germany, Nov. 14, 1859; son of Adolph and Albertine (von der Heyden) Osius; educated in public and highs schools and private schools in Germany; came to America, 1878; married at Detroit, 1893, Elise Rickel. Engaged in book and publishing business, in Ann Arbor, Mich., as George Osius & Co., 1883-87; sold out to partner and became secretary, treasurer and director Michigan Ammonia Works, Detroit and Toronto, in which has been interested from time of organization, in 1886. Also vice president and director H.W. Rickel & Co.; director Citizens’ Savings Bank, Standard Tie Co. Commissioner Detroit Public Library, appointed, 1900, reappointed, 1901, and 1907 (president, 1906). member American Gas Institute, Michigan Gas Association, Wisconsin Gas Association. Member Board of Commerce. Republican. Lutheran. Scottish Rite Mason, Shriner. Clubs: Fellowcraft, Harmonie. Recreations: Horticulture. Office: Foot of Meldrum Av., Detroit. Residence: 227 Field Av., Detroit; summer residence: Grosse Pointe Farms, Mich.

wayneline1.jpg (1778 bytes)

OWEN, John, manager John Owen estate; born, Detroit, Aug. 18, 1861; son of John and Jane (Cook) Owen; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, June 4, 1890, Blanche Fletcher. Began active career in employ of the Detroit Dry Dock Co., 1885, continuing three years; has engaged in real estate business since 1888, as manager of properties; manager John Owen estate since 1895; secretary and treasurer Cook Farm Co., Ltd. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Athletic, Detroit Boat, Country Club of Detroit, Racquet and Curling. Recreation: Athletics. Office: 58 Lafayette Blvd. Residence: 1750 Jefferson Av.

OWEN, John R., secretary Michigan Copper and Brass Co.; born, Marcellus Falls, N.Y., July 1, 1870; son of Edward and Jane (Rowlands) Owen; educated in public schools and business college, Syracuse, N.Y.; married at Boston, July 19, 1900, Mrs. Nettie Hadsell Andrus. Began active career in employ of wholesale hardware house, Syracuse, N.Y., continuing, 1885-88; was with the Solvay Process Co., Syracuse, 1888-95; Randolph & Clowes, Waterbury, Conn., 1895-98, and the Coe Brass Manufacturing Co., Torrington and Ansonia, Conn., 1898-1907; came to Detroit, 1907, and has since been secretary of the Michigan Copper and Brass Co. Republican. Unitarian. Mason. Recreation: Literature. Office: 1611 Jefferson Av., W. Residence: 722 Cass Av.

Page 352

OXTOBY, James Veech, lawyer; born in town of North East, Pa., Dec. 30, 1872; son of Rev. John T., D.D., and Mary E. (Veech) Oxtoby; educated in public schools of Saginaw and Ionia, Mich.; LL.B., Law Department, University of Michigan, 1898; married, Grosse Pointe Farms, Detroit, June 12, 1906, Emma W. Schmidt. Has practiced in Detroit since 1898 as member of firm of Keena, Lightner & Oxtoby. Treasurer Gabriel Concrete Reinforcement Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Wayne County and Michigan State Bar associations. Member Board of Commerce. Clubs: Country, Detroit Golf. Office: 901-904 Penobscot Bldg. Residence: 131 W. Alexandrine Av.

wayneline1.jpg (1778 bytes)

PADBERG, John B.; born, Detroit, Feb. 7, 1843; son of Bernard and Theresa (Maier) Padberg; educated in parochial and public schools and business college; married at Detroit, Sept. 16, 1869, Catharine Ulrich. Began business career as clerk and bookkeeper, continuing until 1868; was teller in German-American Bank, 1868-82; in coal business, 1882-84; cashier Union National Bank, 1884-98; secretary and treasurer Ideal Toy Co. two years; has been secretary and treasurer O’Leary-Padberg Lithographing Co. since Mar. 21, 1905. Also secretary U.S. Frumentum Co. Catholic. Recreation: Amateur gardening. Office: 39-41 Congress St., W. Residence: 689 Brush St.

PADDOCK, Lewis H., lawyer; born, Detroit, mar. 20, 1866; son of Benjamin H. and Anna L (Sanger) Paddock; educated at Boston Latin School, Boston; Trinity College, Hartford, Conn., graduating degree of B.A., 1888, and A.M., 1892; Department of Law, University of Michigan, degree of B.L., 1893; married at Detroit, Apr. 12, 1898, Jessica Ferguson. Has been engaged in practice in Detroit since 1893; member law firm of Miller, Smith, Alexander & Paddock.  Detroit Bar Association, Michigan Bar Association. Member Psi Upsilon, Phi Beta Kappa. Clubs: Detroit, Detroit Boat, Old Club, Country, Racquet and Curling. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office; 1124-1132 Penobscot Bldg. Residence; 66 St. Aubin Av.

wayneline1.jpg (1778 bytes)

HTML by Debbie Axtman

This page was last updated on Mon, 30-May-1999 20:51:15 PDT

Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library

Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker

Return to Wayne County LHN