THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 403 - 406
Special Thanks to Edie Dees for transcribing these pages.
SHEEHY, George Beatty, lawyer; born, Oswego, N.Y., Aug. 30, 1861; son of Cornelius and Rachel M. (Leigh) Sheehy; educated in public schools of Detroit; A.B., University of Michigan, 1885; unmarried. Studied law and was admitted to the bar, 1887, since which time has practiced in Detroit; member Public Lighting Commission of Detroit; director The Art Stove Co. Democrat. Episcopalian. Member Delta Kappa Epsilon. Clubs: Detroit, University, Detroit Boat. Office; 401 Moffat Bldg. Residence: 229 Woodbridge St., E.
SHELDEN, Henry Dusenbury, lawyer, capitalist; born, Portville, N.Y., June 17, 1862; son of Allan and Katharine (Dusenbury) Shelden; B.A., Yale College, 1886; studied law and was admitted to the Michigan bar, 1887. Entered wholesale dry goods business in Detroit, 1887, and continued until 1890; since 1890 has devoted attention mainly as member various corporate boards; director Detroit Copper and Brass Rolling Mills, Fort Street Union Depot and Station Co., Alger, Smith & Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Club: Detroit Racquet and Curling, Country, Old Club. Recreation: Horseback riding. Office: 14 Shelby Blk. Residence: 196 Fort St., W.
SHERRILL, Abram P., wholesale dry goods; born, Pike, Wyoming Co., N.Y., Jan. 19, 1850; son of Abram P. and Elizabeth (Saxton) Sherrill; educated in public schools at Pike and in Pontiac, Mich.; unmarried. Began active career as clerk in bank at Pontiac, continuing, 1869-72; was bookkeeper and credit man for Edson, Moore & Co., 1872-92, and has been member of the firm since 1892. Member Board of Commerce. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Masonic order, Knight Templar. Clubs: Detroit, Fellowcraft, Detroit Boat. Recreations: Outdoor diversions. Office; 194-204 Jefferson Av. Residence: 100 Lafayette Blvd.
SHERRILL, Edwin Stanton, physician; born, Pike, N.Y., Nov. 8, 1854; son of Abram P. and Elizabeth (Saxton) Sherrill; attended public schools of Detroit; B.A., University of Michigan, 1880; M.D., College of Physicians and Surgeons, New York, 1885. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Wayne County and Michigan State Medical societies, American Academy of Medicine. Club: Detroit. Recreations: Study and observation of nature. Office: 270 Woodward Av. Residence: The Charlevoix.
SHERWOOD, Theodore Clark, banker; born, Geneva, N.Y., Jan. 29, 1839; son of William (native of York, Eng., who came to the United States, 1827, and settled at Geneva) and Rebecca (Smith) Sherwood; removed with his parents to a farm near Detroit, Mich., 1854; educated in district schools and Ypsilanti High School; married in Wayne Co., Mich., 1862, Martha J. Mason. Taught school four years; then purchased a farm, but upon solicitation of C.H. Hurd, assistant superintended Michigan Central Railroad, he accepted position of cashier in railroad office at Kalamazoo, 1863; resigned position, 1864, to become connected with First National Bank, Battle Creek; severing his relation with bank in 1872, became cashier of the First National Bank of Plymouth, Mich; resigned from bank, 1881, to fill position of cashier of Grand Rapids National Bank, resigned, 1884. Was elected president of Grand Rapids National Bank, upon its organization, 1885, and served until appointed commissioner of banking, 1889, under act of legislature creating a banking department. Organized the state bureau and administered same with approval of financiers and business men of the state; especially during financial panic of 1893 and the business depression that followed in 1894-95-96; resigned as commissioner,1896, to accept presidency of Peninsular Savings Bank of Detroit, which position he held for two years, when he retired from active participation in banking business, although still continues as director of Plymouth United Savings Bank of Plymouth, Mich. Republican. Active in the Methodist Episcopal Church and Masonic circles. Recreation: Books. Office; 96-106 Larned St., W., Detroit. Residence: Plymouth, Mich.
SHIPMAN, Frederick Charles, lawyer; born, Delta, O., Aug. 28, 1870; son of Richard and Otelia (Verhoeff) Shipman; educated in public schools and Detroit College of Law, degree of LL.B., 1904; married at Detroit, May 29,1894, Frances L. Ostler. Has practiced in Detroit since 1904, specializing in probate and real estate law; proprietor Shipman Real Estate Exchange, founded, 1891. Member 1st Regiment, Michigan National Guard, 2d lieutenant, 1878, 1st lieutenant, 1901, captain since 1904. Republican. Congregationalist. Member of Detroit Real Estate Board, Detroit Board of Commerce, Michigan State Bar Association. Royal Arch Mason. Club: Detroit. Recreations: Automobiling, boating. Office; 411 Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 43 Blaine Av.
SHURLY, Burt Russell, physician; born, Chicago July 4, 1871; son of Edmund R.P. and Augusta (Godwin) Shurly; educated in public schools, Northwestern Military Academy, University of Wisconsin, graduating, B.S., 1893; Detroit College of Medicine, degree of M.D., 1895; post-graduate course at University of Vienna; married at Detroit, Viola Palms. Has practiced in Detroit since 1895; adjunct professor of laryngology, Detroit College of Medicine; laryngologist Harper Hospital and Childrens Free Hospital; attending physician Womans Hospital; secretary Detroit Post Graduate School of Medicine. Acting assisting surgeron U.S. Army and U.S. Navy, Spanish-American War; past assistant surgeon Michigan Naval Brigade. Member Michigan State Medical Society, American medical Association, American Academy of Medicine, American Association of Military Surgeons, American Academy of Ophthalmology and Oto-Laryngology, American Association of Rhinology, Laryngology and Otology. Loyal Legion. Republican. Episcopalian. Mason. Clubs: University, Country. Office; 32 West Adams Av. Residence: 544 Jefferson Av.
SHURLY, Ernest Lorenzo, physician; born, Buffalo, N.Y., June 11, 1846; son of John M. and Elizabeth C. (Chumley) Shurly; educated at Carroll College, Wis., and University of Buffalo, graduating, M.D., 1866; married at Rhinebeck, N.Y., Apr. 13, 1868, Elizabeth Pultz. Practiced as house physician in Buffalo General Hospital, 1866-67, and at Manistee, Mich., 1868-70; appointed assistant surgeon U.S. Army, 1871, and in the same year removed to Detroit, where he has since resided; member of and former chief of staff of Harper Hospital; member of staff of St. Marys Hospital, St. Lukes Hospital and Womans Hospital; vice president and professor laryngology and clinical medicine, Detroit College of Medicine Republican. member Wayne County and Michigan State Medical societies, American medical Association, American Laryngological Association, American Climatological Association, American Congress of Physicians and Surgeons, American Forestry Association. Office: 32 Adams Av., W., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Ile, Mich.
SIBLEY, Alexander Hamilton, lawyer; born, New York, Oct. 14, 1871; son of Alexander H. and Mary I. (Miller) Sibley; educated under private tutors, 1881-84, in European schools; prepared for college in Detroit under Thomas H. Pitkin; A.B., Trinity College, Hartford, 1892; studied in Europe a year, 1894-96; LL.B., Harvard Law School, 1897; M.A., 1897. Was admitted to practice, 1897; member law firm of Russell & Campbell, to Sept. 30, 1901; has since practiced alone. Mason. Clubs: Detroit, Racquet, Country, Harmonie. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office; Union Trust Bldg. Residence: 410 Jefferson Av.
SIEGEL, Benjamin, dealer in cloaks, suits and furs; born, Germany, Mar. 15, 1860; son of Feist H. and Caroline (Gagle) Siegel; educated in public and high schools of Mahnheim, Baden, Germany; came to America, 1876; married, Detroit, May 7, 1903, Sophia Siegel. Began business career in a general merchandise store at Selma, Ala., 1877, and engaged in similar work for firm of Davidson Bros., at Prairie Bluff, Ala., a boat landing; came to Detroit, 1881, and organized the B. Siegel Co., dealers in ladies, misses and childrens cloaks, suits and furs, of which has since been the head; also financially connected with F. Siegel & Bros., Chicago. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Club: Phoenix. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 159-163 Woodward Av. Residence: 62 Delaware Av.
SIEVERS, Henry, carriages; born near Madgeburg, Germany, 1853; educated in public schools of Germany; came to Detroit, 1869; married at Detroit, 1885, Lena Fischer. Began learning carriage making trade in Germany and followed trade as journeyman after coming to Detroit; associated with Charles Erdman, 1875, as Sievers & Erdman, and began manufacture of fine carriages, etc. Lutheran. Republican. Member Harmonie Society. Office: Cor. Jefferson Av. and Beaubien St. Residence: 615 Jefferson Av.
SILL, Joseph, physician; born, Detroit, Sept. 5,1875; son of John M.B. and Sally (Beaumont) Sill; educated in public schools of Detroit; student at State Normal School, Ypsilanti; A.B., University of Michigan, 1897, M.D., Medical Department, same university, 1899; married, Prescott, Ont., Mar. 22, 1902, Mabel White. In practice in Detroit, 1899-1902; appointed bacteriologist of Detroit Clinical Laboratory, 1901, and superintendent, 1905, which position he now occupies; assistant pathologist to Womans Hospital and Infants Home. Republican. Member American Medical Association, Michigan State and Wayne County Medical societies. Recreation: Chess. Office; 33 Mullett St. Residence: 41 E. Warren Av.
SIMMMONS, Fred Julian, grain commission; born, Oneida Co., N.Y., Feb. 10, 1846; son of Alfred A. and Julia Ann (Church) Simmons; graduate Detroit High School, 1862,and University of Michigan, class of 1866; married at Detroit, Apr. 1, 1872, Emma Petrie. Engaged in jewelry business, 1867-68; was senior partner Simmons & Clough Organ Co. (now Clough & Warren), 1869-73; retired, 1873-79, touring the country; has been engaged in grain business since 1879 as F.J. Simmons & Co. President Detroit Board of Trade, 1900-01. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Alpha Delta Phi. Recreation: Fishing. Office: 401 Chamber of Commerce. Residence: 83 Watson St.
SIMONS, Charles C., lawyer; born, Detroit, May 21, 1876; son of David W. Simons; educated in Detroit High School; University of Michigan, graduate Department of Literature, Science and Arts, 1898, Department of Law, degree of LL.B., 1900; married at Chicago, Nov. 29, 1906, Lillian Bernstein. Has been engaged in practice in Detroit since June, 1900. Republican. State senator Second District, session, 1903-04. Record in senate: Nominated General Alger for U.S. Senate, introduced and successfully advocated direct primary bill for Wayne Co., and act making wife-desertion a felony, led fight for state-wide primary bill. Circuit court commissioner of Wayne Co., 1905-06. Member Detroit Bar Association, Michigan Bar Association. Clubs: Phoenix, Detroit Yacht. Recreations: Boating and fishing. Office: 326-328 Majestic Bldg. Residence: 306 Ferry Av., E.
SIMONS, David W., real estate; born, Kalwaryea, Russia, Sept. 7, 1856; son of Simon and Celia (Epstein) Simons; educated in private and public schools of Kalwaryea; came to Detroit, 1870; married at Peoria, Ill., Mar. 7, 1882, Laura S. Broudy. Engaged in junk business at Detroit as member of firm of S. Simons & Son, and also operated a paper factory until 1890; has successfully engaged in buying and selling real estate and in building houses and factories, since 1890, under title of Simons Realty Co., of which he is sole owner. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Was public lighting commissioner, 1898-04. Republican. Jewish religion (treasurer Shaaryzedeck Synagogue five years). Member Mason order, B.P.O.E., Knights of the Loyal Guard, etc. Club: Phoenix. Recreation: Driving. Office: 326-328 Majestic Bldg. residence: 64 High St., E.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Mon, 30-May-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN