THE BOOK OF DETROITERS
A Biographical Dictionary of
Leading Living Men of the City of Detroit
Edited by Albert Nelson Marquis
A. N. Marquis & Company
Copyright, 1908 by Albert Nelson Marquis
Pages 437 - 440
Special Thanks to Edie Dees for transcribing these pages.
SULLIVAN, John F., florist; born, Avondale, Chester Co., Pa., mar. 22, 1860; son of Cornelius and Julia (Gleason) Sullivan; educated in public schools of Avondale; married at Oxford, Pa., 1883, Maggie Harrington. Has been engaged as florist and rose grower since the beginning of his active career, 1877; came to Detroit from Avondale, 1886 and began in business on his own account; operates fifteen greenhouses. Catholic. Member Knights of Columbus. Club: Detroit Florists, Fellowcraft. Office: 214 Woodward Av.
SUMNER, Edward Alleyne, manager American Radiator Co.; born, Jackson, Mich., Oct. 26, 1874; son of Edward A. and Florence (Bingham) Sumner; educated in public schools and at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, member of class of 1897; married at Detroit, Oct. 26, 1905, Ernestine D. Tappey. Came to Detroit, 1887; entered shops of American Radiator Co., manufacturers of boilers and radiators, July, 1896,and has been manager of the Detroit plant since 1902. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Member Loyal Legion (by inheritance). Clubs: Detroit, University, Detroit Boat, Country, Detroit Racquet and Curling club. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: Am. Radiator Co., Jos. Campau Av., between Arthur Av. and Gd Trunk Ry. Residence: 232 Seminole Av.
SUTHERLAND, David Smart, railway official; born, Detroit Feb. 13, 1849; son of James F. and Helen (Berie) Sutherland; educated at Bishops union School, Detroit, and Bryant & Stratton Business College; married, 1st, at Detroit, Jan. 13, 1875, Isabella Hunter (died, Oct. 4, 1896); 2nd, at Jackson, Mich.., December, 1897, Isabella Black. Began active career as messenger boy Michigan Central R.R.., Feb. 1, 1864, and became successively car checker, yard master, trainmaster, and has been division superintendent at Detroit since Jan. 1, 1881 (in continual service of M.C.R.R. nearly forty-four years). republican as to politics; Presbyterian in religious affiliation (elder Immanuel Presbyterian Church). Member Zion Lodge No. 1, A.F. & A.M., Peninsular Chapter No. 1, Detroit Commandery No. 1. President Railroad Y.M.C.A. of west Detroit. Club: Detroit Transportation. Recreations: Actively interested in Y.M.C.A. work and other social gatherings. office: Michigan Central Station. Residence: 218 18th St.
SWAN, Henry Harrison, jurist; born in Detroit, Mich., Oct. 2, 1840; son of Joseph G. and Mary C. (Ling) Swan; educated in public schools and 1858-61, University of Michigan (LL.D.); married at Detroit, Apr. 30, 1873, Jennie E. Clark. Engaged in steamboating on San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers, Cal., in earlier years; studied law and admitted to California bar, 1867; admitted to bar Supreme Court of Michigan, 1869; appointed U.S. district attorney, at Detroit, 1870; practiced in partnership with A.B. Maynard, 1877-91; appointed by President Harrison judge of U.S. district court for Eastern Detroit of Michigan, Jan. 26, 1891, in which position still continues. Republican. Office: Federal Bldg. Residence: 664 Woodward Av.
SWART, James Harmon; born, Hoffman, N.Y., Jan 30, 1847; son of Aaron and Harriet (Wemple) Swart; educated in public schools of Schenectady, N.Y,. Began active career as chief accountant of the Maney Reaper Co., Freeport, Ill.; was chief clerk and bookkeeper of the Redding House, Ness, Mich., 1871-73; became proprietor of the Inter Ocean Oyster House and Restaurant, Chicago, 1873, and in 1875 associated with brother, William C., as Swart Brothers, proprietors of the Avenue House, Evanston, Ill., proprietors of the Galt House, Sterling, Ill, 1880, of the Brunswick Hotel, Indianapolis, 1880-85, of the Clarendon Hotel, Zanesville, O., 1885-95, and of Hotel Cadillac, Detroit, since 1895. Director Welsh Motor Car Co. Member Detroit Board of Commerce, B.P.O.E. Address: Hotel Cadillac.
SWART, William Cornelius; born, Hoffmans, N.Y., Jan. 24, 1852; son of Aaron and Harriet (Wemple) Swart; educated in public schools of Schenectady; unmarried. Began active career as clerk of the Reading house, Niles, Mich., 1873, becoming manager of the house; associated with his brother, James H., as Swart Brothers, proprietors of the Avenue House, Evanston, Ill, 1875-79, of the Galt House, Sterling, Ill, 1880, Brunswick Hotel, Indianapolis, 1880-85, Clarendon Hotel, Zanesville, O., 1885-95, Hotel Cadillac, Detroit, since 1895. Member Board of Commerce, B.P.O.E. Address: Hotel Cadillac.
SWEAT, Thacher Franklin, commercial agent, Illinois Central R.R.; born, Boston, Jan. 29, 1856; son of Thacher F. and Ellen C. (Bailey) Sweat; educated in public and high schools, Boston; married at Wheaton, Ill, April, 1882, Sidonia Spivak. Began active career upon graduating from Boston High School, in retail grocery business, in Boston; went to Chicago, 1881,and entered service of Illinois, Central R.R. Co., as clerk; appointed contracting agent, Chicago,1886; has been commercial agent of the road in charge of Michigan and Canadian territory, headquarters in Detroit, since 1906. Secretary Riverdale (Ill.) Board of Education, commissioner Riverdale park District, president Riverdale Improvement Association. Republican as to politics; Universalist in religious views. mason (32o), member Oriental Consistory, Medinah Temple Mystic Shrine. Clubs: New Illinois Athletic (Chicago), Transportation and Fellowcraft (Detroit). Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 215 Majestic Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Riverdale, Chicago, Ill.
SWIFT, Andrew, J., civil engineer; born, Detroit, Aug. 5, 1870; son of George H. and Harriet A. (Liscomb) Swift; educated in schools of Flint and Detroit, receiving technical education through private tutorage; married at Sault Ste. Marie, Mich.., Sept. 1, 1897, Mary Lynch. Engaged in private engineering, 1889-94; identified with U.S. Lake Survey, 1894-97; Birmingham (Ala.) Canal, 1897-98; with U.S. Board of Engineers, on deep waterways, 1898-1900; on U.S. Lake Survey, 1900-03; with U.S. Steel Corporation, West Virginia, 1903-04; with U.S. Lake Survey since 1904. Member Detroit Engineering Society. Mason. Office: 33 Campau Bldg. Residence: 616 Trumbull Av.
SWIFT, Charles M., lawyer; born, Middlebury, Vt., Mar. 19, 1854; son of George Sedgewick and Louise (May) Swift; educated in public schools and Detroit High School, graduating from the latter, 1870; married at Detroit, Oct. 14, 1886, Clara B. Trowbridge. Began active career as court stenographer, continuing, 1872-77; studied law, was admitted to the bar and practiced until about 1890; engaged since 1890 in building and operating electric railways. Builder Wyandotte and Detroit River Railway, The Rapid Railway, Detroit and Port Huron Shore Line Railway; built and is president and director, Philippine railway Co. (steam line), Manila Electric Street Railway and Lighting Co., Manila Suburban Railways Co.; president and director, Nepigon Mining Lands Co.; director Philippine Construction Co., Detroit Twist Drill Co. Independent Republican. Clubs: Detroit, Yondotega, Detroit Racquet and Curling, Witenagemote, Old Club. Recreations: Golf and bridge. Office: Ford Bldg., Detroit. Residence: Grosse Pointe, Mich.
SWIFT, Ernest Gardner, pharmaceutical chemist, secretary and general manager Parke, Davis & Co.; born, Rawdon, Que., Can., Feb. 14, 1861; son of Thomas and Alice (Sadler) Swift; educated in public and private schools; graduate in pharmacy, Montreal College, 1882; married at Detroit, July, 1887, Alice Catharine Cope. Began active career at age of 15 in employ of Lyman Sons & Co., jobbers, Montreal, continuing four years; entered employ of Parke, Davis & Co., manufacturing chemists, after graduating from college, 1883; was in charge of Canada business of the company, 1891-1903; secretary and general manager of the company since 1903. Publisher Bulletin of Pharmacy, and of Therapeutic Gazette. For three years mayor of Walkerville, Ont.; formerly captain 21st Essex Fusiliers, Can. Republican. Presbyterian. Clubs: Detroit, Country, Old Club. Recreations: Hunting, fishing, golf. Office: Foot of Jos. Campau and McDougall Avs. Residence: 760 Jefferson Av.
TABOR, Nelson A., secretary-treasurer The Central Drug Co.; born, Burlington, Wis., Nov. 3, 1867; educated Grand Rapids, Mich.; unmarried. Came to Detroit from Grand Rapids, Mich., 1887; was connected for fifteen years with Frederick Stearns & Co., manufacturing chemists, in charge of the company; identified with The Central Drug Co. since 1900, retail druggists, operating four stores in Detroit, one in Chicago and three in Grand Rapids. Member Masonic order. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreations: Outdoor sports. Office: 187 Woodward Av. Residence: 28 Tuxedo Av.
TAEPKE, Albert, vice president The Boydell Bros. White Lead and Color Co., manufacturers of paints and jobbers of window glass and painters supplies; born, Germany, Dec. 9, 1861; son of Charles and Jennie Taepke; came to Detroit with parents, 1865; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, Oct. 2, 1883, Miss Rosie Pfeifer. Began as a boy, in 1876, with the Boydell Bros. and passed through various positions from the bottom up until 1891, when he was admitted to the firm, of which he is vice president and director. Was member Detroit Board of Estimates for six years. Republican. Lutheran. Member Masonic order. Recreation: reading. Office: 40-52 Champlain St. Residence: 775 W. Grand Blvd.
TAFFT, Adelbert A.; born, Plymouth, Mich.., Apr. 16, 1853; son of Hiram and Elizabeth (Knickerbocker) Tafft; graduate Plymouth High School; married at Plymouth, Apr. 15, 1880, Ida M. Kellogg. Began active career as clerk in general merchandise store of Baker & Crosby, Plymouth, 1875, the firm successively, becoming C.B. Crosby, C.B., Crosby & Co. and finally A.A. Tafft, continuing until 1900; came to Detroit, 1901, associated with D.E. Kellogg and assisted organizing wholesale millinery firm of D.E. Kellogg & Co. Republican. Presbyterian. Member Masonic order, K.O.T.M. Office: 170 Jefferson Av., Detroit. Residence: Plymouth, Mich.
TANNAHILL, Robert Blyth; born, Detroit, July 27, 1863; son of James and Julia (Fraser) Tannahill; educated in public schools of Detroit; married at Detroit, 1892, Elizabeth Hudson. Began business career, 1887, in employ of C.R. Mabley, clothing; became identified with department store of J.L. Hudson, 1889, and since its incorporation, in1900, has been vice president. Director Knock Mown Manufacturing Co. Treasurer Detroit Y.M.C.A. Formerly member of Michigan national Guard. Republican. Episcopalian. Member Detroit Board of Commerce. Mason. Club: Fellowcraft. Recreations: Athletics and fishing. Office: The J.L. Hudson Co. Residence: 443 Woodward Av.
TANNAR, Charles Jehiel, clergyman; born, Ashland Co., O., Dec. 7, 1856; son of Darius and Mary M. (Sadler) Tannar; graduate Bethany College, Bethany, W. Va., receiving first honors in theological department; married at Sullivan, O., Dec. 25, 1879, Nettie Helen Drake. Ordained minister Christian Church; pastor Walnut Hills Christian Church, Cincinnati, Central Christian Church, Akron, O., 1893-1900, Portland Av. Church, Minneapolis, Minn., 1900-03, Central Av. Christian Church, Detroit, since 1903. Office: 115 Selden Av.
HTML by Debbie Axtman
This page was last updated on Mon, 30-May-1999 20:51:15 PDT
Be sure to Visit Pam Rietsch's Memorial Online Library
Graphics were made specifically for "The Detroiters" by Tammy Acker
Return to Wayne County LHN