TOWNSHIP OF AKRON
Contributed by Sherrye L. Woodworth. Extracted from History of Tuscola and Bay Counties, Mich., H.R. Page and Co., Chicago, 1883, page 129.
|1860 Akron Census
Township 14 north, of range 8 east was organized by the board of supervisors at a meeting held December 31, 1855, and designated by the name of Akron. The first township meeting was held on the first Monday in April, 1856, at the house of Alvin Waldo; and Charles H. Beach, Lucius H. Waldo and Edward VanDemark were inspectors of election.
The signers to the petition for the organization of Akron were: John G. Beck, Ransom Briggs, Josiah H. Trusdell, Alvin Waldo, Lucius H. Waldo, Edward VanDemark, Daniel Summer, James Demarest, Andrew J. Tobias, John Nicholson, Thomas Nicholson, Richard Stark. As now organized the town of Akron comprises most of the former town of Geneva.
The town of Geneva was organized by the board of
supervisors at a meeting held January 11, 1860, and comprised the territory of fractional
township 15 north, of range 8 east. In 1879 the legislature of Michigan passed an act to
disorganize the township of Geneva and to change the boundaries of the township of Akron,
and attach the territory comprised therein to Columbia and Akron. This act provided that
section 36, of the township of Geneva, and section 1, of the township of Akron, be
detached from their respective towns and attached to the township of Columbia; and all of
the township of Geneva, except section 36, be attached to the township of Akron.
If you would like to contribute to this page, please e-mail Debbie Axtman
Copyright Sherrye L. Woodworth
Return to Tuscola Genealogy