Cass City Village
|Biographies A - H|
|Fire||The act of the legislature, which provides for the
incorporation of the village of Cass City defines its corporate limits as follows: the
southwest quarter of section 27, the southeast quarter of section 28, the northeast
quarter of section 33, and the northwest quarter of section 34.
P. R. Weydemeyer, J. C. Laing, and William Walker, were constituted a board of registration. Pursuant to their call an election was held April 30, 1883, at which ninety-six votes were cast, and the following officers, elected, viz., Henry Butler, president; Samuel C. Armstrong, clerk; Theodore H. Fritz, treasurer; Sylvester Ale, assessor; James J. Hitchcock, James W. Adamson, H. S. Wickware, James D. Crosby, Philetur R. Weydemeyer, Robert G. Orr, trustees; W. Scott Brotherton, street commissioner; A. J. Williams, constable.
The first meeting of the village council was held May 8, 1883, the result of
the election being declared and oath of office being duly adminstered the tie vote between
Hugh Seed and Henry S. Wickware, being decided by
lot in favor of the later. H. S. Work being appointed clerk pro tem., in the absence of
the clerk elect, and the council being duly organized for business, the official life of
the village was inaugurated by a resolution, that "the bonds for retail liquor
dealers in the village of Cass City be fixed at $3,000," and "the bonds of
druggists at $1,000." After which the council adjourned until evening.
Return to Tuscola History & Genealogy