Fair Grove Village

Contributed by Debbie Axtman. Extracted from, "The History of Tuscola County, MI.," H. R. Page and Co., Chicago, 1883; page 136.

 

Churches
Land Records

Fair Grove Village

This is an unincorporated village in the town of Fair Grove, located in the east half of southeast quarter of section 17, and west half of southwest quarter of section 16. No plat of the village has been filed, and descriptions of lots sold have been made necessarily by metes and bounds.

Some ten years ago a small store of general merchandise was kept here by D. Lane and sold subsequently to S. N. Aldrich, who has largely extended the business. This was about all of the village until the year 1881, when the advent of the Saginaw, Tuscola & Huron Railroad gave this point prominence as a center of trade for the surrounding country. Since then the growth of the village has been rapid, numbering at present thirty houses, with others in course of construction. Its business enterprises consist of the sash factory of Liken & Bach, flouring-mill of Roby & Wylie, planing-mill of Trimble & Dougherty, wagon shop of Mitchell & Stanard, blacksmith shop of George Biles, general stores of S. N. Aldrich, R. C. Burroughs, and R. Wakeman, drug store of Sprague & Stoddard, furniture, tinware, and notion store of F. A. Rogers, agricultural implement warehouse of M. L. Aldrich, Charles Puffer’s meat market, J. D. Burlingame’s livery stable, and J. S. Streeter’s hotel. Just south of the village and undoubtedly at no distant day to be included within its limits, is the church of the United Presbyterians. The Methodist Episcopal society and the United Brethren are preparing to build houses of worship.

Twenty-six years ago a postoffice was established at Fair Grove Centre with Amzy Clay as postmaster. In March, 1881, it was removed to Fair Grove village, and D. E. Cranston, the present postmaster was appointed to the office.

All rights reserved. Genealogists may use the information provided here freely. This page, and the information it provides may not be copied for commercial use of any kind.

Copyright Debbie Axtman

August 1998

 

Return to Tuscola History Book Index