Town of Gilford
Contributed by Debbie Axtman. Extracted from, "The History of Tuscola, MI", H. R. Page and Co., Chicago, 1883, page 192.
Town of Gilford
The board of supervisors at a meeting held January 12, 1858, adopted a resolution organizing the town of Gilford. The territory comprised township 18 and fractional township 14 north, of range 7 east. The first township meeting was held at the school-house on section 86, in township 18 north, of range 7 east. Inspectors of election were E. B. Hayes, Hamilton Hobart and F. Batille.
|The application was signed by the following
freeholders of the territory described: E. Battille, John D. Hayes, James C. Luce, S. M.
French, M. B. French, John Morse, Benjamin Griswold, Joseph L. Cooley, E. B. Hayes, H.
Hobart, John A. Hayes, E. French, Jane Gaunt, George Wilkinson, Joseph Spencer and A.
At the first election eighteen votes were polled, and every elector in the town voted. The following officers were elected:
Supervisor Hamilton Hobart
Clerk E. B. Hayes
Treasurer E. Batille
School Inspectors John D. Hayes, Joseph L. Cooley
Directors of Poor Joseph L. Cooley and Hamilton Hobart
Highway Commissioners Joseph L. Cooley and Samuel M. French
Justices of the Peace Joseph L. Cooley and E. Batille
Constables Joseph Spencer and John D. Hayes
Contributed by Debbie Axtman
All rights reserved. Genealogists may use the information provided here freely. This page, and the information it provides may not be copied for commercial use of any kind.
Return to Tuscola History Book Index