Town of Kingston
|This town occupies the middle position in the eastern
tier of towns of Tuscola County, having Sanilac County as its eastern boundary, the town
of Novesta on the north, Wells on the west and Koylton on the south. The Pontiac, Oxford
& Port Austin R. R., passes through the township from north to south. The town takes
its name from Alanson K. King, one of its first setters.
At a meeting of the board of supervisor held October 10, 1860, a resolution was adopted, ordering that township 12 north, of range 11 east, be erected into a township to be known and designated by the name of Kingston. The first township meeting was held at the house of Alanson K. King.
The petition was signed by the following freeholders in the township: Jacob Shaw, Alvin Watson, Henry Hatherby, W. B. King, P. L. King, Oscar Watson, Alexander G. Corbet, David Fuller, J. L. Hatherby, M. Vites, G. Meidlein, Thomas Whitfield, A. K. King and G. R. Nelson.
The first town meeting was held at the house of Jacob Shaw, April 1, 1861, when the following officers were elected: viz: supervisor, A. W. King; clerk, Oscar Watson; treasurer, P. L. King; justices, George Nelson and J. L. Hatherby; commissioners of highways, George Nelson, H. E. Hatherby and W. B. King; school inspectors, A. K. King and George Nelson; constables, A. K. King, H. E. Hatherby, W. B. King and Jacob Shaw.
In the fall of 1857 William Walker settled in section 35 and built a log house, and in December following moved his family in. He came from Canada, and cut his road through the woods from a point on what is now the Almont and Cass River State road, in Sanilac County, to his house, a distance of about five miles. He remained until the following June, when he returned to Canada, coming back again in 1871.
Alanson King, with his son, Philo L., took up the south half of section 32, in the fall of 1857. In January, 1858, they came in and built a log house, and on the 5th of March, following, Mr. King moved in his family. They came from Ohio and stayed with George Green in Dayton from January until March. In coming in they cut their own road for four miles to their home. They remained there until the winter of 1861-'62, when they removed to Juniata, returning to Kingston in 1870.
In the fall of 1857 Thomas Constable bought the southwest quarter of section 21. In the fall of 1858 he did some chopping on his land, and in December, 1860, moved in with his family.
Jacob Shaw with his family settled on the west half of the northwest quarter of section 34 in the fall of 1858.
In the spring of 1859 came Alvin Watson, and in the fall of the same year his brother Oscar Watson.
Joseph L. Hatherby took up the east half of northwest quarter of section 34, in 1858, and in December, of the same year, moved in.
If you would like to contribute to this page, please e-mail Debbie Axtman
Return to Tuscola History Book Index