Village of Kingston
|Early Land Entries||
Village of Newbury
|In the summer of 1866, John
Kinsgbury and sons bought the southeast quarter of the southeast quarter of
section 32, and made preparations to build a saw-mill, which they got to running early in
the spring of 1867.
In the fall of 1866, Elder Johnson put up a small building on the same tract, near the section corner, and opened a store, with James Perry as clerk. This was the beginning of the village of Newbury. Sometime the next winter P. L. King bought the store.
In April, 1868, Joseph A. Pepoon, M. D., came to Newbury from Ohio. Up to this time the people of this region had been obliged to got to Watrousville or North Branch when in need of medical aid.The Methodist Episcopal Church, of Newbury, was dedicated February 11, 1873, and is the only church building in the town. The first and only grist-mill in the town was built in 1874.
The village of Newbury was described in the fall of 1867, as follows: "Newbury is the name given to a place, recently sprung up in Kingston, a town that has improved as rapidly in the past two years as any in the county. At Newbury, P. L. King has a store 24 x 20 feet, with a wing 24 x 16 feet, the latter doubtless furnishing a residence for his family. The store is two stores high, and at present contains a stock of boots and shoes, groceries, dry goods, Yankee notions, etc., etc." "J. Kingsbury & Son have a saw-mill which is doing a good business. During the past six months it has sawed 600,000 feet of pine lumber. The same firm will soon erect a grist-mill, to be run in connection with the-saw-mill. A part of the timber for the purpose is already out. They have also a planing-mill, now on its way from Ohio, to which they will attach a matcher, and run the whole in connection with their other machinery."
D. Fuller is putting up a blacksmith shop, and also a dwelling house. A man by the name of William Depew, a cabinet maker, is at present presenting his trade at his dwelling, but will soon build a shop for the purpose. "The postoffice here bears the same name as the place - Newbury, and is kept in King's store. The postmaster is John Kingsbury." "The surrounding country is being very rapidly cleared up, the woods giving place to the farms, and the unregenerated wilds to pleasing improvements. The population is increasing very rapidly, emigrants arriving in no part of the county in greater numbers."
The village lies on both sides of the line between the towns of Kingston and Koylton, in section 32 and 33, of the former, and sections 4 and 5 of the latter. It is the center of trade of an excellent farming country, and being a station on the Pontiac, Oxford, & Port Austin railroad, is destined to become an important point for shipment of grain and other products. The population of the village is about 200. It has three general stores, one hardware establishment, one drug store, one harness shop, one meat market, one saw-mill, one grist-mill, an elevator under construction, a millinery store, post office, two hotels and a livery stable. There are two church organizations, the Methodist Episcopal, under the pastorate of Rev. William Allman, and having a house of worship, and the Baptist, under the care of Rev. Mr. Rogers, meeting at the school-house.
Return to Tuscola History Book Index