TOWN OF TUSCOLA
Taken from The History of Tuscola County, Illustrations and Biographical Sketches, 1883, H. R. Page and Co. Transcribed by Bonnie Petee for transcribing this.
Town of Tuscola
This town belongs to the west tier of townships in the county, and is bounded on the north by Denmark and Vassar, east by Vassar, south by Arbela, and west by the county line.
The Cass River extends through the township in a southwesterly direction. The southern portion of the township is also drained by two small creeks which empty into the Cass.
|The surface of the township is generally
undulating and in some portions quite broken.There is considerable poor land in the
township, but some portions are exceptionally fine and these are covered with rich and
beautiful farms that are not surpassed in the West. One of the best of these is that of Lovira
Hart, a little distance from Tuscola village.
Nearly half a century ago, Mr. Hart settled upon this land, then covered as was all of Tuscola County with wilderness. Though now an old man he still lives to look upon the results of his labors, in fields as rich and beautiful as ever delighted the eye of an agriculturist. In the same vicinity are many others rich in soil and attractive in appearance.
The town of Tuscola was organized under an act of legislature passed in the winter of 1840 and comprised the territory of Tuscola County which was at the same time set off from Sanilac County, but was not organized until ten years later. The territory is described in the civil history of the county.
The records state that the first town meeting was appointed at the house of E. W. Perry, on Cass River, but not being held on the day specified, it was called on the 15th day of April, 1840, by a notice of Dennis Harrison, John Murray and E. W. Perry. In pursuance of this notice the meeting was held and Dennis Harrison chosen moderator, Martin L. Miller clerk, and Lovira Hart and E. W. Perry, inspectors. The number of voters was twelve. Dennis Harrison was elected supervisor, treasurer and highway commissioner; Martin L. Miller was elected clerk and school inspector; Lovira Hart was elected highway commissioner, justice of the peace and assessor; Ebenezer W. Davis was elected highway commissioner, justice and assessor; Ebenezer W. Perry was elected commissioner, justice and assessor; Cornelius B. Leonard, school inspector; Samuel H. Downs, constable and collector, and John Miller and Jarvis Freeman, directors of the poor.
The names of the voters were as follows: Lovira Hart, E. W. Perry, Dennis Harrison, S. H. Downs, Martin L. Miller, C. B. Leonard, J. Murray, Ebenezer Davis, J. Freeman, Edwin Ellis, John Miller and J. H. Davis.
The general election in the fall of 1840 is mentioned in the earlyhistory of the county.
At the annual meeting in 1843 twenty-six votes were cast. The whole number cast at the general election in 1880 was two hundred and eighty-three, of which one hundred and eighty were Republican, ninety-one Democratic and twelve Greenback.
Tuscola is the mother of all the towns in Tuscola County, and with respect to age outranks the county by ten years.
Turning backward to December, 1835, we find Michigan just entering the sisterhood of States. Saginaw City was but a rugged speck, and only a few Indian traders occupied the site of Bay City. The territory now included in Tuscola County formed a part of Sanilac County, and the shadow of dense forest was upon all this area. The opening chapter of Tuscola's history begins at the time above mentioned. Back of that time are no oracles except the section posts and lines, and the grave mounds of the Indians. The latter are scattered all along the Cass River, and in some places are very numerous. This once formed a part of the favorite hunting grounds of the Chippewas, and the plow of the husbandman has oftimes upturned evidences of sanguinary conflict.
Transcribed by Bonnie Petee
Return to Tuscola History Book Index