Millington, Tuscola, ALHN
NOTED BUSINESS'S IN MILLINGTON: IN THE PAST
NEW YORK CENTRAL R.R.
In 1871 the Detroit and Bay City Railway Company obtained a right of way through Millington by purchase or agreement from the following people:
Hannah Lane / Julia McPherson / D.N.Blocher / Samuel Atwood / F.W.Brown / Jacob Thomas / John Raub.
KENNEDY DRUG STORE.
Was purchased in 1910 from A.C.Allen by Frank Kennedy Sr. Due to illness he sold the store to Gerald C. Farnum in 1924. The store was moved in 1936 and went back to the Kennedy family in 1938 when Alex P. Kennedy bought it. In 1946 Kenneth L. Kennedy owned the business.
CAPITOL THEATER BUILDING
Monday February 20, 1899 the land and present site was bought by the K.A.F.M., known as the Knights of the Maccabee's . The building was repaired and used as a town hall, Methodist Church, and the 2nd floor was used as lodge rooms for Sir Knights and Lady Maccabee's. The building was bought by Mr. Otis Farnum and was used as a opera house, roller rink, dance hall, school plays, and banquet parties. In 1914 Mr. Farnum had Mr. Whipple install motion picture and electrical equipment with Mr. Beagle as a projectionist, Millington enjoyed it's first movie. Later the building was bought by Ralph Zacharias who started a theater, it was then sold to Mr. Cuddeback, at this time it was also used by the school as for Junior and Senior plays, and for Commencement exercises. In 1937 Mr. Harold Schukert bought the theater. Mr. Chan Bassett was the first manager, and Mr. J.W.Castle was in 1954. Building was torn down in 1960's.
The first bank in Millington was owned by John Damon and sold to S.E. Kelsey. It was situated in the old part of the Dalrymple Building. About 1900 Mr. Kelsey sold the bank to W.R.Carson, J.M. Ealy and John McNair. D.J. Evans Jr. served as cashier. The bank was later sold to Mr. D.J. Evans Jr. and was then named the Bank of Millington. Thatbank closed 10-26-1926. In 1927 a group of Millington Citizens were instrumental in having the Vassar National Bank moved to Millington. This bank was situated in the building that houses the Post office in 1954. It became the Millington National Bank. This bank closed for a bank holiday in 1933 and did reopen. It is now a Museum for the Millington /Arbela Historical Society.
A.H.COBB & COMPANY
Albert H. Cobb started a meat buisness with Mr. Ed. Gillman in 1915. In 1916 Mr. Cobb and Mr. Holmes continued the business, including groceries and meats. After serving in several locations Mr. Cobb purchased the building that is now known as Rocks Studio.
First elevator built in Millington was by the Clough brothers who sold out to the Sioux City Seed and Nursery Co., in 1887. Owners were H.B.Johns and Nellie Johns. Then it was sold to Frutchey Bean Co., Mr. Ellis Richards was an assistant manager for a number of years. Then sold to George E. McIntyre & Son.
Keep checking back as I add more and more to this page !
Page is copyrighted as are all photos: By Millington Historical Society and C.E.Betzing 1999.
Return to Millington ALHN
LINKS TO OTHER PAGES
Tuscola, MI ALHN
Tuscola Combined Query/Surnames page.
NEW YORK CIVIL WAR PAGE
Niagara County, New York American Local History Network