VILLAGE OF AKRON
The village, lying in the southern part of the town on its southern line,
is but little more than a year old, dating from its first business enterprise.
It is a result of the new railroad, the Saginaw, Tuscola, & Huron. In
the spring of 1882 G.W. Crane selected this as a desirable point for trade
and built a store on the Fair Grove side of the line. Since then have been
added Simmons & Young's store, J.A. Liken & Co., lumber and stavebolt
mill, Charles Dowker's saw-mill, the cheese box factory of Mallory &
Stetson, six dwelling-houses, and one in course of construction. Timber is
being framed for a blacksmith and wagon shop. The village was platted in
1882 by Samuel Lynn.
Akron postoffice was first established at the house of Samuel B. Covey
in section 1, with Mr. Covey as postmaster. The first year of the war it
was moved to the house of Lucius Waldo, about seven miles southwest of
Unionville, who was appointed postmaster. In the fall of 1882 it was moved
to Akron village, or Beach's Corners, with George Simmons as postmaster.
Extracted from History of Tuscola and Bay Counties, Mich., H.R.
Page and Co., Chicago, 1883, page 129.
Last Updated February 16, 2000 by Sherrye Luther Woodworth.