Emery D. Cook, farmer and dealer in real estate, farming implements and machinery, was born in Cattaraugus County, N.Y., January 21, 1835. He was bereaved of his father at the age of fourteen years, and three years later he came to Oakland County, Mich., and spent some two years in farming enterprise. He went thence to Saginaw County and entered the employ of John A. Westerfelt, Esq., at $14 per month. Five months later he became an overseer at $35 per month. He remained there until nearly of age, and accumulated in all some $700. In 1855 he bought 240 acres of land in Akron, in sections 14 and 21, and soon after returned to his native place, spent over three years, chiefly in lumbering, and accumulated about $1,000, which was nearly all lost in the panic of 1856. After this he returned and paid his land tax in Akron, but had only $8 left. He next engaged in stock raising and continued the enterprise for several years with good success. On January 14, 1860, he was married by B. W. Huston, Esquire, of Vassar, to Miss Jennie E. Waldo, of Akron. She was born in Genesee County, N.Y., February 26, 1838. She came with her parents from Bainbridge, Ohio, to Akron in 1856. The first township meeting held in Akron was held at the residence of her father, Mr. Alvin Waldo, and she selected the name for the township. Shortly after Miss Waldo taught one of the first three schools in the township.
Mr. and Mrs. Cook have had six children. Emery and Freddie are deceased. Emery was the first person buried in the Akron cemetery. The living children are Wilbert, Lucius, Ada, and Carrie. Later Mr. Cook sold his Akron estate and made a tour in the west, but soon returned, and bought eighty acres of land in section 31, Columbia, at $1000, and resided there until the winter of 1883, when he sold that property for $3,200, and bought 440 acres in Akron. On one occasion Mr. Cook started to take four bushels of corn to mill and one ox gave out when yet six miles from the mill. Mr. Cook left him with a settler, and he and the other ox drew the grist to the mill, which he found broken. He waited one week for his grist and earned five bushels of oats, which, with the grist and some seed corn, he and the ox drew back the six miles to where the other ox had been left. Mr. Cook has been six years highway commissioner, and justice of the peace twenty-one years, and has never had an official judgement reversed by the higher courts.
from History of Tuscola and Bay Counties, Michigan, by H. R. Page & Co., Chicago, 1888, page 130.
Submitted by Sherrye Woodworth July 2000.
Back to Akron Home Page