Henry H. Gilbert

Henry H. Gilbert, farmer, was born in Genesee County, Mich., August 12, 1842.  He was bereaved of his father at the age of ten years.  In 1855 he went west to Illinois, and remained there until the outbreak of the late rebellion.  On September 12, 1861, he enlisted in the Sixty-sixth Illinois Infantry, Company C, and served his country until discharged January 24, 1864, by reason of general disability.  His first engagement was in the midst of darkness.  When marching to meet a band of guerrillas the advance scouts suddently turned and came dashing back.  As the scouts passed the lines, a general fire was ordered, and was followed by a most fearful braying from a herd of peaceable farm mules without any riders, over 100 of which in the morning were found dead or disabled in the road where they had met with and followed the horses of the advance scouts.  Mr. Gilbert fought at Fort Henry, Fort Donalson, Shiloh, Corinth, Iuka, Holly Springs, second battle of Corinth and Vicksburg, and other minor engagements.  He received three sabre thrusts and five gunshot wounds; the severest of which was received while on picket duty. Thirty-three buckshots and a mass of fine shot were afterward taken from his person, and one buckshot still remains, having been for twenty years firmly lodged in the rear part of the head a little below the skin.  On being discharged he returned to Livingston County, Mich., and on March 14, 1865, he was married to Miss Lois Carr, of the same county.  They had three sons, one of whom is dead. Those living are Birtzell H. and Alfred C. They settled in Wisner in November, 1867, and prepared them a pioneer home on the prairie.  The country was wet and without roads or conveniences for transportation, except by boats or canoes.  On April 1, 1878, Mrs. Gilbert died of bronchial affection.  Mr. Gilbert's second marriage was to Miss Emma Leonard, of Geneva, December 25, 1874.  They have one son, Levi Leonard.  In 1882 Mr. Gilbert sold his Wisner estate, of eighty acres, for $3,000, and has now a farm of twenty acres in Akron,  formerly Geneva, which will be their future home.  Mr. Gilbert has been postmaster in Wisner seven years and supervisor six years. He belongs to the Northern Star Lodge of F.A.A.M., and he and Mrs. Gilbert are members of the regular Baptist Church.

from History of Tuscola and Bay Counties, Michigan, by H. R. Page & Co., Chicago, 1888, page 131.

Submitted by Sherrye Woodworth July 2000.

Back to  Akron Home Page