Albert L. Hemstreet

Albert L. Hemstreet, farmer, son of Daniel and Rosina Hemstreet, was born in Will County, Ill., May 22, 1845.  He with his parents removed to Pennsylvania when seven years of age, and ten years later they came to Tuscola County, Mich., and settled in section 4 in Akron. They at once engaged in preparing them a pioneer home.  There were then six children in the family, Albert, Harriet (now deceased), Delia, Calvin, Sarah, and Lura.  Grant, the youngest son, was born in Akron.  They came by way of Saginaw, and arrived at their place on February 10, 1863.  They then had 120 acres of land, mostly prairie, to which they have added forty more.  Most of the surface when they came was a sheet of ice.  They attempted to bring in one cow, but she fell on the ice and could not possibly recover her standing position; had to be drawn by hand to a land surface, gotten on her feet and left two weeks, until the ice left the surface of the prairie.  In those pioneer days Mr. Hemstreet's sister fell sick of typhoid fever.  No good physician could be obtained.  She died, and no minister could be secured to preach a funeral sermon, and her remains were laid in the earth without funeral obsequies.  Now, however, they have overcome those scenes of sadness and disadvantage, and have about sixty acres under improvement, a good dwelling, and other farm buildings, and an inviting home.  Mrs. Hemstreet, the mother, is a member of the church of the United Brethren in Christ.  Mr. Hemstreet has been five years a school assessor in his district.  The father, Mr. Daniel Hemstreet, was a Methodist Episcopal exhorter, and was the first to hold stated religious meetings in the neighborhood.  He was the first to move in the organization of the school district, and he was a leading person in the other improvements in the place, in Sabbath-school and for social good.  He died of paralysis October 8, 1874, beloved and regretted by all around him.

from History of Tuscola and Bay Counties, Michigan, by H. R. Page & Co., Chicago, 1888, page 130.

Submitted by Sherrye Woodworth July 2000.

Back to  Akron Home Page